Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's official! In July, our Santa Monica Sports Car Club is going to start having fun
with our cars again. Many of us have really missed First Friday Niter Rallies and longer Saturday events over the last three months, so we are doing both next month. The July 3rd event will use some fantastic twisty stretches of pavement and get us to Moorpark in about 90 minutes and about 50 miles of driving.

The July 18th event will literally take us to the clouds on mountain roads that have to be seen to be believed. On our checkout run, I could not get the smile off my face as I looked one way at the view across the ocean to Santa Catalina Island and the other way to Santa Ynez Canyon. This tour course is about 140 miles long, so electric cars can join us for this adventure, too. We have found restaurants that are open for lunch and afternoon meals and practice Covid safe distancing.

Both events will double the fun by using the Richta Competitor Rally app on your smart phone to handle scoring. That means no stopping at checkpoints, no control cards and instant scores showing up on your phone. There are electric charging stations within a few miles of the start and finish of both events. Bring your face mask and your own pen so you don't have to share. Please go to SMSCC.ORG for more information. We are We are sponsored by SCCA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a tour road rally and you will have turn by turn instructions with distances and exact times given to each checkpoint. It's made simple for course following but timing is to the tenth of a second. So, the game is getting to and crossing the GPS checkpoint precisely. My best checkpoint has been 0.3 so far. Others have managed to hit perfect 0.0 scores. The average speed on this section is 20 mph because of bike riders.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
So what we call regularity rallies in the UK, but incredibly frustrating keeping to 20MPH averages on such lovely roads. Back in the day there were no restrictions on the maximum speeds and they turned into something close to road races, but now we in the UK are limited to 30 MPH on a road that wide or 20MPH on narrower roads. The advent of GPS timing is making it worse as the section rules with manned checkpoints allowed you to artificially delay the restarts (while the marshall filled in the timecard) putting the car late on the road and giving something for the driver to catch-up.
If you share the road like that with cyclists, do they get confused when a potentially fast car cruises past them up hill but they are then forced to overtake it going downhill? Also, are the checkpoints declared or random?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand exactly how you feel. I feel the same about many TSD events. However this one is a Monte Carlo Tour event and you are given the exact mileage and time to be at each checkpoint. I just used the average speed that I was able to drive the roads the set the time for the checkpoints.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts