Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Sctland and signed up to Octapus in Januray to benefit from Octapus Go cheap night time EV charging. As I didn't have a smart meter to benefit from this rate I was told I would have to wait to get one due to lockdown. Its now nearly July and I've still not got one and being continually fobbed off by Octapus. Anyone else in the same situation?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,395 Posts
Octopus. :whistle:

Yep, energy firms, they're all shite, you'll soon work that one out. Someone will jump in of course and say "i've never had issue with company x!" But then loads more folk have, your results may vary, but generally speaking regardless of which firm your with eventually they'll screw you over at some point.

Reactions: Jeremy Harris

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Yep, energy firms, they're all shite, you'll soon work that one out. Someone will jump in of course and say "i've never had issue with company x!" But then loads more folk have, your results may vary, but generally speaking regardless of which firm your with eventually they'll screw you over at some point.
A universal truth. FWIW, after the appalling treatment we had as Octopus customers, with it taking 6 months to get back the money they had taken from us, I will never deal with them again. Same goes for British Gas, who were similarly inept. I'm under no illusions; all energy suppliers are out to screw over customers if they can. Some are just better at hiding it for a time than others.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
946 Posts
Message them on twitter. They got me a meter appointment booked.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well you're on the list but email them periodically. Mine was installed pre-lockdown but still took a few weeks to come through. My dad was on the list for a couple of months this year and then I received a phone call out of the blue for a next day installation due to a cancellation in our area.

The other aspect that drags is the connection time for the SMART aspect of the meters. My electric was basically same day but the gas took a month. My dads gas connected straight away but the electricity is still not showing.

Octopus have been slow to respond to that issue though they always say it may take some time to connect. Somewhat out of theirs hands though I assume.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Before I joined Octopus I sent them several emails to establish how long it would take to have a smart metre installed, I provided my post code and specifically stated that I would not join them as a customer unless they could provide me with confirmation of installation. They confirmed on email it would take 3-4 weeks after joining so I pressed the button and switched supplier. That was the beginning of March this year and I am no further forward, I have raised a formal complaint and have advised them that they must resolve or I will be referring my complaint to Ofgem.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
562 Posts
I was waiting for ages so I rang them to ask politely what was going on, the lady at the other end confirmed I was in the queue but it would take a while as they had a massive backlog due to covid, demand, supply issues etc etc.

When I explained I needed one as I wanted to switch to Go as I had an EV she gave me a link to check every Tuesday or Thursday (cant remember which day now) when they had new appointments available and I managed to book a slot through that, so it might be worth giving them a ring, remember to be polite though it's not the poor person answering the phones fault that they work with the cast of Sesame Street!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I’m stuck in a loop with OVO where they insist I have to book a smart meter fitting - and when I go to the website to do just that it tells me I’m not allowed to. Loop and repeat :D

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I think availability varies by region and the slots available with the local contractors that Octopus use for the meter installations.

Our next door neighbours just switched to octopus with the switch completing on the 12th, and they had new smart meters (replacing old SMETS1) installed yesterday (23rd).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was offered a link to book slots. All of which appeared to be not available or taken within seconds of receiving the email! Doesnt add up! Stalling I think.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 w/ Onto
70 Posts
they had new smart meters (replacing old SMETS1) installed yesterday
Interesting. We have old SMETS1 smart meters which are inoperable as we're not with British Gas any more by whom they were installed. I got an email from an Octopus Energy Operations Manager yesterday stating:
In regards to your first generation smart meters we are unable to replace these as we face a hefty fine for doing so however we are working on a system that allows us to read all generation 1 smart meters so we will be able to remotely read your meters soon
I'm guessing what they said about a fine is a load of bollocks? Have requested that my meters been made smart nearly a year ago and no closer to making that happen at the moment...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'm guessing what they said about a fine is a load of bollocks? Have requested that my meters been made smart nearly a year ago and no closer to making that happen at the moment...
I can't say I have the knowledge to comment on that. All I can do is relay the experience that they had.

Our own experience was that in February of this year Octopus invited us to have smart meters installed (from basic meters) and they were done on the 3rd of March. Gas meter didn't communicate for a few weeks but it was fixed remotely.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,855 Posts
There are loads of different outfits actually doing the meter installation. I believe Octopus have brought it all in house, whether that's the case across the UK or not I'm not sure. You may find a different supplier will have a contractor with availability in your area. That's not really a failing of Octopus but may be a route to getting a faster install.

Once installed it's at the mercy of the DCC. That's Capita. I have nothing good to say about Capita or anything they touch.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I live in Sctland and signed up to Octapus in Januray to benefit from Octapus Go cheap night time EV charging.
Where do you live, large city, Glasgow or rural area. In rural areas it is likely that SMS Smart meter rollout | Smart homes | SMS plc will fit your meter.

I managed to get one on Arran by contacting

"Further information
You are free at any point after you have raised your complaint to contact Chief Executive, [email protected], and Greg himself, or one of our Operations Managers will do everything in their power to resolve your issue. Please let him know your account number, contact details (including address) and the background to the problem."

You can also try contacting [email protected], asking them to get SMS meters to fit a Smart meter for you. They are the team that is involved with day to day smart meter management. Just avoid using the regular contact email as it fails in rural Scotland.

Is your heating by electricity also?
Are you in the Northern Region with extra high prices?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ahhh, yes the ABC syndrome, an awfully lot of it about currently (Always Blame Covid).

Why not ask your current provider if they will install a smart meter, then once installed jump ship to octopus.😉

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting. We have old SMETS1 smart meters which are inoperable as we're not with British Gas any more by whom they were installed. I got an email from an Octopus Energy Operations Manager yesterday stating:

I was aware that my BT installed SMETS 1 meters wouldn't be replaced by Octopus, so simply 'omitted' to say that I had them (!) Bob's your uncle, Octopus installed theirs from scratch!

·
Registered
Ioniq Project 45, e-Niro4+
2,798 Posts
We live in rural East Anglia. Our electricity switch timescale was as follows:

Online application to switch on 13 April
Meter installation 8 June (by third party installer)
Finally switched to Go tariff 23 June

I repeatedly chased them for the meter change. Then once we had the meter, to switch to Go. They said they were waiting for the power network to provide the new meter link. This seems odd as the meter instantly linked to our account and displayed the unit rate we are paying....
The long delay from joining to final moving on to Go more than ate up the £50 'hello'. In addition the high tariffs they put us on - Fixed, then Variable, then Tracker, were also more expensive than we paid previously.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I switched on 3rd May
SMETS2 installed on 11th June (could have selected a date 2 weeks earlier but waited until the DNO had upgraded our fuse)
Switched to GO tariff a week later

It must vary by location. I’m in Staffordshire.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts