Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the start of lockdown they said use the time to learn a new skill. So I took that onboard and here’s the result.

OctoChargeCalc - https://octochargecalc.energy-stats.uk/

I knew a little bit of python as that is the backbone of my energy-stats.uk website API calls, but i’d never written a webapp before, so this has been massive learning curve doing this in Flask framework.

What does it do?
Well you tell it how much you want to charge your (EV / Battery / Heat Pump) in kWh each and every day, tell it the charge rate of your device and where in the country you are.

It then goes away, pulls out the cheapest number of required slots per day for the timeframe selected from the underlying energy-stats.uk database and displays graphs and a short summary of what that amount of energy historically would have cost you on Agile.

You can also select an ‘alternative’ unit price to compare against… ie 14p/unit to compare against the same time frame.

So i’m hoping that potential Agile (or even Go) customers can use this to visualise (in pounds and pence) their charging requirements.

I’ve not yet fully announced this to the world or linked to it from my main website, so think of this as a sneak peak or a live beta test. Very much a slow / phased release. :eek:

Please send over comments or if you spot any bugs etc.

Like I said, this has been a massive learning curve and undertaking, so I do expect some bumps in the road.
I'm praying its all going to hang together!! If it falls over....... it will need more work!! 😁

Any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Mick

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Mick

Truly impressive! (y) The second good thing that I have seen come out of this lockdown after the reduction in pollution!

I'll try to break it later but so far it has worked well for me.

Out of interest, could you consider an App publishing on a daily basis the minimum cost for the following day for each number of periods required? This would help those of us with certain demands (e.g. charge an EV - mine is ~ 10% per half hour) know the cost to set for the IFTTT App for that to occur. I'd envisage a simple output along the lines of

Periods Cost
1 3.5
2 3.7
3 4.1
etc.
as you clearly already have the algorithm to calculate this in OctoChargeCalc? It is subtly different from OctopusWatch which tells you a start time for a continuous period and an average cost for the period, not one that selects the lowest (possibly non-contiguous) priced periods.

Thanks

Duncan

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,268 Posts
Very impressive. I have found one thing. The fill percentage can be set more than 100%

Reactions: Zarch

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very impressive. I have found one thing. The fill percentage can be set more than 100%
:eek:

Thank you so much...... will add that to the snag list. 😁

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really nice work! I particularly appreciate that you have pre-populated the fields with sensible, realistic starting values.
Thank you.

On the other hand, folk with 4.8kWh of solar batteries and only 2.4kWh charge rate (like me currently) would say they aren't realistic. 😁

Hopefully when we get the EV i'll be happier with my own creation. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been tweaking the app all week based on feedback.

I've primarily adding some form validation to ensure only valid selections are accepted as well as lots of minor little tweaks and changes.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and testing.

If anyone has any further comments or bug reports, please let me know.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
106 Posts
Neat app, looks much tidier than mine. :)
Had my smart meter installation cancelled in the first week of lockdown, so now running tracker tariff which is second best to Agile.
When I do get the smart meter I will switch electricity to agile, but I will want to see the best block of hours for the day ahead rather than individual half hour slots. So that I can schedule charging to start at a certain time and run for a number of hours until my charge % is achieved.
I hope I can keep tracker for gas, as that is by far the best gas prices that I know.
I have prices for gas tracker Octopus Tracker Electricity and Gas display of previous day prices
Does anyone know when the gas tracker first started, and is there any data for prices through last winter? I cannot find anything that goes that far back.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
106 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
There was a blog entry from 2017 Octopus Tracker: first impressions.
Although when I first tried to switch to it earlier this year I was initially told it was an old tariff and not available.
Hi there

I applied this week to switch to Octopus Gas Tracker . The switch is currently progressing. I will be keeping my 'leccy on Agile but the gas on Tracker

1 - 12 of 12 Posts