Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
30p plus per kw this morning. I've just sent them a Twitter message to find out if they provide any algorithm or tracking toll. I don't mind paying higher rates but I think it's time to look at my supplier or octopus go if these rates continue to be high. I e noticed them at this rate recently. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,906 Posts
They do provide an algorithm, it's on their website. The issue is more that the wholesale prices are very high at the moment due to a lack of wind generation and higher than expected demand.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
538 Posts
The "promise" of agile is that it will always work out cheaper than go. So if you are going to swap find something better than go pricing.

If you want to read Octopus detail on recent high prices Wholesale energy price watch.

Fortunately because we're in lockdown I'm not charging my car at all. Thus in fact my balance is going up and up - even with the high prices.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,906 Posts
This is the classic fixed* Vs variable argument. People on variable rates enjoy when they are below fixed and moan when they aren't. ;)
* Go is not strictly fixed but doesn't seem to change.
You should expect variable rates such as Agile and Tracker to be more expensive in the Winter than the Summer. Whether the variable rates work out cheaper over a year depends on your usage profile and ability to shift demand.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Somebody made a suggestion on the other Agile thread that they have a strategy of "Agile March - October" and "Go Nov - Feb". That makes sense because capacity tightness is a recurring issue in the winter, and likely to stay the same or get worse until we get short and medium term energy storage sorted out. Solar, on the other hand is more guaranteed than wind and demand is lower in the summer, driving prices lower.

I'm in my first few days with a smart meter, but assuming it works stably, I may give that approach a whirl come the spring.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I don't know what your moaning about, some people are getting paid more than £1/kWh on their agile tariff so are literally quids in for what they can get away with 🤣🤣🤣😁😁

·
Registered
466 Posts
The "promise" of agile is that it will always work out cheaper than go. So if you are going to swap find something better than go pricing.

If you want to read Octopus detail on recent high prices Wholesale energy price watch.

Fortunately because we're in lockdown I'm not charging my car at all. Thus in fact my balance is going up and up - even with the high prices.
good luck beating go when they are charging 30+p all day

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,646 Posts
This is the classic fixed* Vs variable argument. People on variable rates enjoy when they are below fixed and moan when they aren't. ;)
* Go is not strictly fixed but doesn't seem to change.
You should expect variable rates such as Agile and Tracker to be more expensive in the Winter than the Summer. Whether the variable rates work out cheaper over a year depends on your usage profile and ability to shift demand.
It’s swings and roundabouts isn’t it.

At the moment everybody’s on the swings!

·
Registered
210 Posts
With a few days of no wind, no sun and all the power stations wound down for the lockdown, prices on Agile are sky-rocketing. I tried to swap back to Go but their website is either broken or they're not allowing tarriff changes at the moment.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
With a few days of no wind, no sun and all the power stations wound down for the lockdown, prices on Agile are sky-rocketing. I tried to swap back to Go but their website is either broken or they're not allowing tarriff changes at the moment.
That will be too many customers logging on to switch now they've realised how high the prices are tomorrow.

Last winter the price was much lower. I switched to Agile just before Christmas 2019 as it just got cheaper and cheaper until the end of the summer.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
This is the entire point of this type of variable tariff.

You will be rewarded for taking energy when there is excess and the grid wants to avoid constraint payments.

The pricing will also be used to deter usage when supply is limited (as tomorrow - low wind, low temperature, Netherlands link down) and demand is high.

This is the system working exactly as intended. Anyone who signed up for agile was surely aware of this? I was aware of this and I don't even have a smart meter...

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
There's being aware of the point of the tariff but then there's the reality of all day high prices for days at a time.
At the same time there's a simple, fast way to switch to a cheaper tariff.
It makes sense to switch imo. If I was still on Agile the 6-10th would have cost £9.83 per day average, according to the octopus watch app. Obviously I would have shifted the load differently, but not that much as still have 2 EVs being used most days.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is the entire point of this type of variable tariff.

You will be rewarded for taking energy when there is excess and the grid wants to avoid constraint payments.
That's true but the prices are sky high at the moment, capped at 35p nearly all day, and it's difficult to see any change coming in the forseeable future. Makes sense to avoid such ridiculous prices if possible.

At the same time there's a simple, fast way to switch to a cheaper tariff.
At the moment, there isn't. Either the site is broken or they've decided to block tariff changes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That will be too many customers logging on to switch now they've realised how high the prices are tomorrow.
Can't be an overloaded site, I tried again at 3 in the morning! Could be a huge backlog I suppose but then I thought it was automated anyway. Either something's broken or they decided to stop transfers for a while.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
Can't be an overloaded site, I tried again at 3 in the morning! Could be a huge backlog I suppose but then I thought it was automated anyway. Either something's broken or they decided to stop transfers for a while.
I've just tried it and although I'm adjust on Go out still let's me switch.
Go to the home page, scroll to the bottom to find Go and Agile. Click on the Go link to sign up. Follow it through selecting that your an existing customer. If that doesn't work call them and say you can't afford to pay 35p all day and want to switch now.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I agree their website was struggling last night. The change tariff options were missing, but are back again today.

I'm trying to change to a fixed gas tariff, but can't find an option to request that - they obviously see themselves as an electricity company with the gas as a side-line because I can't get see how to get a quote for changing my gas tariff without also requesting a change in my electricity tariff.

Is my only option to send them an email requesting the tariff details for their available gas tariffs so I can choose one, or am I missing something on their website?

My other question is about the smart meter readings in my account - I only have readings up to 23:30 on Jan 11, and nothing for yesterday, Jan 12. Is it normal for the readings to be so far behind, or can I expect them to catch up? What is the normal delay in the readings?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Isn't it rather 'taking the ****' to switch to a fixed tariff for a few days when the price is high? I can see why they might make this difficult. :)
Absolutely ! Agile has a very clear model of being based on wholesale prices; practically every other tariff from any supplier has a 'cushion' built in to ensure that the supplier makes a profit. In the long term, sticking on Agile will give a lower annual cost; a few days at higher cost will make little difference to the annual cost.

Reactions: Tandy0
1 - 20 of 32 Posts