Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Kona Premium Se - 64k , 2020 model.
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly me. I have just realised that if I am going to make the most of Octopus Agile tarriff when they are paying you then I should set my car to maximum temperature and heat it thoroughly - even in Summer.

Does that sound daft?

Reactions: Kingpleb1

·
Super Moderator
7,412 Posts
Don’t forget to crack one of the windows as well, that way your heating will run at max power for the whole period. Until you heat the whole atmosphere, anyway.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Does that sound daft?
Not really. A little irresponsible though.
If you need to charge your car, charge it. You're going to use that energy later.

If you have laundry that needs doing or something like that then sure take advantage of not paying for the energy. Do what you were going to do anyways just at the times when you're not paying.

But don't just deliberately waste the energy as its not going to do the environment any good especially generating unnecessary heat to dissipate into the atmosphere. While I'm sure you could make money standing 30 or so electric heaters in your garden using your entire electricity supply for example it's undoing the benefits of you owning an EV.

I realise that not everyone is in it for the environmental reasons but rather the cost savings and are tempted to do all they can to earn a couple of extra pence from wasting the power but I really must say please don't.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It’s not wasting energy though. Whether you use it or not, the electricity is still generated. That’s the whole idea behind negative pricing isn’t it? If you don’t switch your heater on, they’ll just have to drop the price even further below 0 until somebody else bites.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,603 Posts
.... don't just deliberately waste the energy as its not going to do the environment any good especially generating unnecessary heat to dissipate into the atmosphere.....
Don't mean to offend but this is silly.

That 'heat in the atmosphere' will go there anyway, it is all from renewable (solar) power.

The reason it is necessary to 'burn off' excess renewable energy is that it is non-trivial to shut down wind turbines in strong winds, they are better off for several mechanical and electrical reasons to carry on operating, facing into wind, and rotating in a stable fashion.

With the excess on the grid there are then cost implications to manage that power that might lead to further problems, including potential black-outs (probably called 'white-outs', or something).

Not generating power from wind will NOT cause more heat to leech out into the atmosphere .. that energy is already there and it's called ... errr ... the wind! ;)

Do the grid a favour and leave your car heating on max.

·
Registered
708 Posts

That 'heat in the atmosphere' will go there anyway, it is all from renewable (solar) power.

The reason it is necessary to 'burn off' excess renewable energy is that it is non-trivial to shut down wind turbines in strong winds, they are better off for several mechanical and electrical reasons to carry on operating, facing into wind, and rotating in a stable fashion.

With the excess on the grid there are then cost implications to manage that power that might lead to further problems, including potential black-outs (probably called 'white-outs', or something).

Not generating power from wind will NOT cause more heat to leech out into the atmosphere .. that energy is already there and it's called ... errr ... the wind! ;)

Do the grid a favour and leave your car heating on max.
I know what you mean and you are mostly right, but at the same time what is less wasteful - Blasting out heating in the middle of the summer for the sake of being paid pennies, or being smart with your usage and doing something useful that you needed to do anyways while not having to pay for the electricity?

No offense taken. I kinda went a little off track while trying to really make my point about waste. Whether or not there is a need to use excess electricity or not I would just rather not see people getting into the mentality of unnecessary waste when you, or someone else could surely put it to better use.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My compromise: using a hot air blower to dry the wood in my wood store! This helps stove efficiency come the winter..;-)

Actually, although I have both I don't but I certainly use what I can: hot washes, heat the hot water tank, charge power tool batteries, wish I had an EV, use the electric chain saw, use the dishwasher, make extra ice in the freezer, ask around if anybody has an EV and a granny charger...

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,603 Posts
I know what you mean and you are mostly right, but at the same time what is less wasteful - Blasting out heating in the middle of the summer for the sake of being paid pennies, or being smart with your usage and doing something useful that you needed to do anyways while not having to pay for the electricity?

No offense taken. I kinda went a little off track while trying to really make my point about waste. Whether or not there is a need to use excess electricity or not I would just rather not see people getting into the mentality of unnecessary waste when you, or someone else could surely put it to better use.
You're misunderstanding 'the reason' electricity has gone negative.

I think you will find that people who are geared up to such finer points of the market behaviours of electricity are also very astute when it comes to avoiding waste at any other times.

You should worry more about people who do not care to save/make a few pennies as market conditions fluctuate, not us. We're tuned in to it.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
616 Posts
It's all about the timing: This was my iPace charge a few days ago, on Agile, and I managed to get a dishwasher and washing m/c run in too. (The 94.291 is the whole day obs.)

Nice suckout in the poison zone too.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don’t forget to crack one of the windows as well, that way your heating will run at max power for the whole period. Until you heat the whole atmosphere, anyway.
A cracking reply!

Reactions: Edd Beesley

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's all about the timing: This was my iPace charge a few days ago, on Agile, and I managed to get a dishwasher and washing m/c run in too. (The 94.291 is the whole day obs.)

View attachment 131943
Very useful chart. Shows exactly what can happen.

·
Registered
317 Posts
IMO the best use of the ‘inertia’ electricity is to bore your friends and family until they make good, clean and sensible use of it too. This is the future of tariffs and load levelling makes the most of the expensive bits in the ground and in the transformer infrastructure etc.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts

View attachment 131943

Wow thats a lot of juice! the only i came close to that was during a plunge and with 3 cars charging and a tumble drier on :)

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
616 Posts
Wow thats a lot of juice! the only i came close to that was during a plunge and with 3 cars charging and a tumble drier on :)
iPace was down to about 12%. Our background usage in this house averages about 20KWh / day in the summer so I'd guess the car took about 74 or thereabouts.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
While I'm sure you could make money standing 30 or so electric heaters in your garden using your entire electricity supply for example it's undoing the benefits of you owning an EV.
"30 or so electric heaters" would have to be very small ones. Even a 1kW heater would need 4A; 30 of them would need 120A and there's not many private houses with a board's fuse of more than 100A

Reactions: Kingpleb1

·
Registered
708 Posts
"30 or so electric heaters" would have to be very small ones. Even a 1kW heater would need 4A; 30 of them would need 120A and there's not many private houses with a board's fuse of more than 100A
I mixed up my Amps and kilowatts. Oops!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

So, when you turn on your heater, and your air-conditioning to counter it, what on the grid is doing the load following? Solar? Wind? Gas?

·
Registered
378 Posts
So, when you turn on your heater, and your air-conditioning to counter it, what on the grid is doing the load following? Solar? Wind? Gas?
Quite so. Even during plunge pricing periods, c25% minimum of the demand is supplied by CCGT. Adding extra demand has to increase the load on the resource that can quickly respond...? Therefore still seems like a bad thing. Although I would be the first to admit it seems slightly like black magic that the grid doesn't constantly fall over given that there really is just about zero buffer in the system...I am quite prepared to be told I don't understand, but would like to know how it does all seem to work!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts