Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people paying for the Octopus Agile ballpark figure cost per kW during the peak period 4pm to 7pm?

I know it varies, just after a ballpark figure. I use about 4 to 6 kW during that period, wondering if it is worth swapping across?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you just confirm that outside those hours (4pm to 7pm) it is generally between 6 to 8 p per kW for any hour?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m also much better off using agile. There’s a great app (free) called Octopus Watch which shows the prices over the next 24 hours.

I’d agree that around 25p per kWh is typical around peak times but recently I did delay turning on the dishwasher until after 7pm when the price dropped from 35p to 12p. Agile has made me consider when I use electricity which, I guess, is the idea behind it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Agile prices for today and tomorrow. The avarage (pink dotted line) over the two days is 12p/kWh (inc VAT). If you can avoid usage between 4pm and 7pm your usually quids in. It works for me.

John.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Is there anyone out there who switched to Agile but found it more expensive?
I think it will depend on your usage. In my household, we have 5 adults, so the kettle and the microwave get a bit of a bashing during the day. Fortunately, I have solar panels and an 8 kWh battery, which means I can fill the battery on a cheap rate overnite tariff from EDF and excess solar during the day. Agile and Go would work out more expensive for my circumstances.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Fortunately, I have solar panels and an 8 kWh battery, ......... Agile and Go would work out more expensive for my circumstances.
If you have a battery to help cover the peaks between 4 and 7 you are almost guaranteed to be better off on agile. I cant find anything close under EDF.

True that agile peaks out at 35p/kWh, which is a lot, but it really doesnt take much to set the dishwasher and washing machine to come on a bit later. We just accept the cooking is going to be a bit more expensive, still works out cheaper though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you have a battery to help cover the peaks between 4 and 7 you are almost guaranteed to be better off on agile. I cant find anything close under EDF.

True that agile peaks out at 35p/kWh, which is a lot, but it really doesnt take much to set the dishwasher and washing machine to come on a bit later. We just accept the cooking is going to be a bit more expensive, still works out cheaper though.
EDF Go Electric tariff for EV owners. Cheap tariff between 21:00 to 07:00 weekdays and all weekend. For us, it's brilliant. It takes 5 hours to fill the battery overnight, and that usually lasts us through the 14 hour peak period during the winter months. During the summer, the solat fills the battery and we use hardly any grid electricity.

·
Registered
433 Posts
This is a summary of my electricity usage and costs for last year.
Total Solar kWh
Generated​
Total Solar kWh Used​
Total kWh Grid peak​
Total kWh Grid off-peak​
Total kWh Used​
Total Battery kWh​
Total cost without solar or battery​
Total cost with just solar​
Total cost with added battery​
Total saving of using battery​
4563.55​
4436.17​
1233.03​
4716.49​
9212.83​
1982.07​
£1,570.35​
£853.56​
£363.52​
£490.03​

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
What are people paying for the Octopus Agile ballpark figure cost per kW during the peak period 4pm to 7pm?

I know it varies, just after a ballpark figure. I use about 4 to 6 kW during that period, wondering if it is worth swapping across?
This shows Agile prices over the years and you can set your area. Agile adds 12p to each 30 minute calculated price from 16.00-19.00, so there is always a bulge then. Helps if you have some regular power need that can be programmed to function outside of those hours.

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is a summary of my electricity usage and costs for last year.
Total Solar kWh
Generated​
Total Solar kWh Used​
Total kWh Grid peak​
Total kWh Grid off-peak​
Total kWh Used​
Total Battery kWh​
Total cost without solar or battery​
Total cost with just solar​
Total cost with added battery​
Total saving of using battery​
4563.55​
4436.17​
1233.03​
4716.49​
9212.83​
1982.07​
£1,570.35​
£853.56​
£363.52​
£490.03​
Extra Kudos for using 97% of the solar. Without a battery system I must have a utilisation of around 50-70%. It's got better now with working from home the car can charge on the solar but still nothing like that.

Only using your grid use and the EDF numbers it looks like you are averaging just over 10.3p/kWh. I'm now up to averaging 9.8p/kWh Not very exact I know but it seems very much like a swings and roundabouts between the Octopus and EDF.
That daily charge is quite something :eek:. I though Octopus was high.

During the summer when I was getting paid to use electricity, I would have been laughing at you high off peak rate, today the lowest rate is 9.01p/kWh (around 13p for most of the day), but also peaks at 27.62p for half an hour. I need to get some cheap batteries. :(

Reactions: Gadget Geek

·
Registered
433 Posts
Extra Kudos for using 97% of the solar. Without a battery system I must have a utilisation of around 50-70%. It's got better now with working from home the car can charge on the solar but still nothing like that.

Only using your grid use and the EDF numbers it looks like you are averaging just over 10.3p/kWh. I'm now up to averaging 9.8p/kWh Not very exact I know but it seems very much like a swings and roundabouts between the Octopus and EDF.
That daily charge is quite something :eek:. I though Octopus was high.

During the summer when I was getting paid to use electricity, I would have been laughing at you high off peak rate, today the lowest rate is 9.01p/kWh (around 13p for most of the day), but also peaks at 27.62p for half an hour. I need to get some cheap batteries. :(
I do like the 90 hours a week off peak, it gives you a bit more flexiblity (especially with a house full of technophiles who have everything plugged in), but I agree, it is swings and roundabouts depending on the weather. Charging the car off the solar does mean you use more of what the panels generate.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
There is no one size fits all here. I have a 7kWp array and PW2. As I can’t claim SEG (awaiting DNO sign off), Go works well for me at 5p/kWh. If I want SEG from Octopus, then I will have to switch back to Agile import.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
Agile was amazingly cheap during lockdown but the extended Nuclear outage and lack of wind has seen much higher prices recently, with the 35p cap regularly being hit between 4pm and 7pm.

We are considering going back to Go but aren't doing a lot of miles and have 4kW electric underfloor in our (large!) kitchen which we put on from around 5am this time of year, so it is complex to work out which is cheaper! Thankfully we eat later so don't need electric oven on until after 7pm...

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Download the OctoWatchdog app on android and you can select your region and see your prices daily there before you move over.
Theres been a few 35p peaks recently which are a killer for the average price...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts