Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 3 Slinky Silver, Renault Zoe R135GT
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long wait we are finally seeing some good rates overnight. Not quite a minus but almost at 0.04p !!

Time to top up chaps and chapesses...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Cheers for the heads up. Just looked at the Agile Watcher app and will consider switching back. Only... the Ohme charger has stuffed up again. Great customer service but the reliability of the charger for myself is not great, not happy.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Cheers for the heads up. Just looked at the Agile Watcher app and will consider switching back. Only... the Ohme charger has stuffed up again. Great customer service but the reliability of the charger for myself is not great, not happy.
Basic problem with the Ohme is that they're trying to do far too much and not doing most of it very well at all. e.g. I've absolutely no idea why they try and limit the output of their charger - every EV I've ever had was more than capable of limiting its input power without any 'help'. Similarly, they try to read the car's 'guessometer' and make all sorts of silly decisions based on the nonsense they get from it. Since I've declined to let them access the car's data and use it simply to switch ON when Agile price is below my acceptable level or OFF when it's above I've had no bother from it. It's simple mental arithmetic to work out how much I want to add in any period and set the price cap to allowthat much to be drawn.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Basic problem with the Ohme is that they're trying to do far too much and not doing most of it very well at all. e.g. I've absolutely no idea why they try and limit the output of their charger - every EV I've ever had was more than capable of limiting its input power without any 'help'. Similarly, they try to read the car's 'guessometer' and make all sorts of silly decisions based on the nonsense they get from it. Since I've declined to let them access the car's data and use it simply to switch ON when Agile price is below my acceptable level or OFF when it's above I've had no bother from it. It's simple mental arithmetic to work out how much I want to add in any period and set the price cap to allowthat much to be drawn.
Yep, I agree. A while back I did convert a dumb charger to work with Agile so could always use that. Though, being a 'free' Chargemaster it has to be rebooted after x number of charges or doesney work, lol.

As much as I like the Ohme it's not much use to me as a dumb charger which it keeps reverting to with the failures.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
484 Posts
It’s only simple arithmetic for us old farts, who didn’t have calculators at school!

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,698 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
It’s only simple arithmetic for us old farts, who didn’t have calculators at school!
For certain things we had to use log tables.

I’ve converted it to dumb chargers after months of fighting with it. Life is far easier this way.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
After a long wait we are finally seeing some good rates overnight. Not quite a minus but almost at 0.04p !!

Time to top up chaps and chapesses...
As someone who tops up Leaf30 and Outlander on daily basis, this drop is too little too late. I switched to Go Faster in January.

Outlander is on a smart switch and starts charging. Leaf30 is on dumb Ohme so I plug in closer to the time (or when I remember)

Leaving mental arithmetic for other things

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Good stuff for me, 10kwh will go into the house battery, 32kwh into the Niro, 2kwh into the dishwasher and probably about 7kwh into the hot water cylinder, all for basically free, and if there is any excess solar tomorrow (doesn’t look like good weather so probably not much) then I’d get 6-8p/kWh for exporting it. Good times!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Basic problem with the Ohme is that they're trying to do far too much and not doing most of it very well at all. e.g. I've absolutely no idea why they try and limit the output of their charger - every EV I've ever had was more than capable of limiting its input power without any 'help'.
100% agree with you. "Be gentle on the battery while charging". How strange is that, really? Don't they understand modern EV's have quite clever Battery Management Systems, so 32A charging is not going to damage it. No need for the charger to nurse the battery, if that's what they are trying to do. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm feeling a bit vague after some Cotes du Rhone and a genepi, but I don't think my OHME reads the state of my MG's charge status? [Where's a sober Mike Proctor when you need him?..] It just puts in the percentage the user determines based on their own calculation of existing % plus what is asked for. Hopefully I'll get what I'd like which was calculated before I had the genepi' and based on the 'not above nn price' parameter.

There may even be enough solar tomorrow to do a bit of a balance via the granny charger. But thanks for the reminder from Edd: it's probably worth putting my dishwasher on timer.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
. . . . I don't think my OHME reads the state of my MG's charge status?
Pretty sure it doesn't. Not having an app, along with being able to accept more than 7kW, was the reason I elected to 'pretend' to be charging an MG when I initially realised that trying to use my Leaf's app was messing up its ability to charge at max rate when I wanted it to. Since then the Ohme database table has been adjusted to allow a Leaf e+ to charge at at least 28A which I need to get it to deliver 6.6kW so I'm now 'telling it' that I have a Leaf though still denying app access.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Again, working for me! (I’m not a big consumer this time of year because of solar panels)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wow Agile was a bit cheaper for a few hours on a Windy night, dearer than Go Faster high rate previous day and the day before and most of today again, do not think i will rush to swap back just yet;)
In April my Go Faster bill was £33.54. Using Octopus Compare app it would have been £50.58 - approx 50% more! Since I switched from Agile to Go Faster last September there have been just 26 days when Agile would have been cheaper than Go Faster. But every single month Go Faster has been cheaper, never less than 10% cheaper. Indeed over these 8 months Agile would have been , on average, 33% more expensive than Go Faster (for me on the 0230 to 0630 time slot)

True Agile was mega cheap during Lockdown #1 but that was an 'unreal' situation. I cannot reasonably see me returning to Agile again.

·
jim5452
368 Posts
It's also I imagine as you'd get a considerably lower export rate on Go (SEG rate is fixed). Agile really is a no-brainer for people with solar.
That is interesting would that apply to someone having SOLAR without a BATTERY, or would battery be a must, as the SEG export depends on time of day, is that right or am I mistaken?

·
Registered
312 Posts
That is interesting would that apply to someone having SOLAR without a BATTERY, or would battery be a must, as the SEG export depends on time of day, is that right or am I mistaken?
Yes, this time of year, you'll still be generating 4-7pm (ie, peak), for your own use most days, and any excess will be exported at "decent" rates, and also offset your usage in the nasty peak. SEG also has a minimum floor from what I've seen, so if you don't use it, you still get good rates. Given most of the worst Octopus rates are 4-7pm in general, this fact alone likely will make Agile cheaper for almost all with Solar. This is just based on my interpretation of the figures alongside my own usage.

If I could get solar (wrong orientation roof) I already would have done. But I can't, so I'm personally using Ripple as an offset (once they build it).

Batteries obvioulsy make the sitation better, but from my maths, Battery isn't as cost-effective as panels right now. As soon as we move to a new (final) house with right orientation, we'll do Solar and batteries (assuming cost lowers).

·
Registered
59 Posts
bloody missed it :( had to do a "boost" yesterday morning after a tip run so i could get to Costco, i didn't realise that boost lasted for the session not just when the car was plugged in... so of course when i got back it charged up at peak rate = £2.30... which should of cost about 12p on that overnight rate :mad:

i don't know who came up with the design of the Ohme software, but they don't live in the same world as i do lol

1 - 20 of 58 Posts