1 - 20 of 659 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,299 Posts
Get those bar heaters lit up!!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,299 Posts
Looks like there is some upside to storm Dennis, Octopus are paying you tonight if you're on their Agile tariff!

More windy and relatively warm nights, please
I've downloaded an 'app' to show the agile rates, but the numbers on mine are slightly smaller than yours (yes, VAT is switched to 'include'). Do they have different regions, or something else I don't understand about it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These numbers are from my octopus account. I'm in South Wales, and it differs between DNOs I believe. So western Power supply me so I would guess it's the same price for people supplied by them.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've downloaded an 'app' to show the agile rates, but the numbers on mine are slightly smaller than yours (yes, VAT is switched to 'include'). Do they have different regions, or something else I don't understand about it?
Yes there are regional variations for the agile 30 minute rate. Someone has created a website to track it all - has anyone got it on their favourites?
Time to set the washing machine on a boil wash to clean it...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes there are regional variations for the agile 30 minute rate. Someone has created a website to track it all - has anyone got it on their favourites?
Time to set the washing machine on a boil wash to clean it...
Think you mean this one?

·
jim5452
110 Posts
Or this one OCTOPUS ENERGY WATCHDOG best 99p I have ever spent

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Do they have different regions, or something else I don't understand about it?
There are 9 electricity supply regions across the UK. Suppliers vary their charges depending on the cost of getting electricity to you. I know many people think that this is unfair but the DNO regions go back to the days when there were Nationalised Electricity Boards. Similarly, I have seen many posts about the unfairness of standing charges. What complainants choose to ignore is that the abolition of standing charges would just be reflected in higher unit costs.

·
Registered
233 Posts
There are 9 electricity supply regions across the UK. Suppliers vary their charges depending on the cost of getting electricity to you. I know many people think that this is unfair but the DNO regions go back to the days when there were Nationalised Electricity Boards. Similarly, I have seen many posts about the unfairness of standing charges. What complainants choose to ignore is that the abolition of standing charges would just be reflected in higher unit costs.
It should somehow be based on usage. We use approx 1000kw/mo and the standing charge is a very small portion of our bill.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It should somehow be based on usage. We use approx 1000kw/mo and the standing charge is a very small portion of our bill.
In days of yore, there were no standing charges. We all paid a higher unit price for a given number of units before the unit price fell. In truth, whether you use 1kWh/year or 10,000kwhs/year there is a cost associated with maintaining the Grid; monitoring your supply voltage, and fixing faults. I cannot think of a single charging system that will suit everybody. In a similar vein, one could argue that it is unfair that Granny of Worcester who is a BG standard variable tariff customer should contribute to the cost of failed suppliers which she will do through higher energy costs.

Finally, for those that can be bothered, it is possible to play tunes with the system. I know of people that switch gas suppliers every six months to get the cheapest deal for their 6 month usage. The same is possible for people with PV panels.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Alas once EV uptake increases and more people use these types of tariffs or the grid simply has more demand off peak these low prices will disappear.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
EBICO do a zero standing charge tariff
Which now comes with a minimum annual charge (which looks remarkably like a standing charge in all but name):

1. 1.6. This Tariff does not include a standing charge (paragraph 2.4(a) of the Supply Terms does not apply) but requires you to meet a minimum overall spend (“Annual Billed Value”) for each of the metered energy supply points you have. The Annual Billed Value for each fuel element is as follows:
    a) Electricity: £52.00 per year (equal to £0.14247 per day), each figure includes VAT.
    b) Gas: £104.00 per year (equal to £0.28493 per day), each figure includes VAT.

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
106 Posts
Which now comes with a minimum annual charge (which looks remarkably like a standing charge in all but name):

1. 1.6. This Tariff does not include a standing charge (paragraph 2.4(a) of the Supply Terms does not apply) but requires you to meet a minimum overall spend (“Annual Billed Value”) for each of the metered energy supply points you have. The Annual Billed Value for each fuel element is as follows:
    a) Electricity: £52.00 per year (equal to £0.14247 per day), each figure includes VAT.
    b) Gas: £104.00 per year (equal to £0.28493 per day), each figure includes VAT.
So it does, that does seem to go against the point of why you might want to choose this type of tariff and I guess reinforces your point that there's a min price to pay for just having the service.

1 - 20 of 659 Posts