Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

181 - 200 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
A windy night doesn't always mean cheap prices. Tomorrow evening is higher than this evening so I'm filling tonight and expecting tomorrow night to be more expensive.
It doesn't always work out that way, but it mostly has over the last month or so.
Very true. There is no simple/guaranteed way of 'guessing' when it will be cheaper than Go overnight. At times, over the past 9 months, it has been cheaper to top up in the afternoon than in the early hours of the morning. The other great unknown is what effect CV will have on the generation and demand profiles. Agile isn't a sit back and forget tariff - and the recent winds have been unusual.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,186 Posts
Ofgem, the energy regulator, doesn’t investigate individual consumer complaints. ...
Well, we're off to a start now;

"
Dear donald,

Thank you for contacting Ofgem.

If you wish to make a complaint about Ofgem and our Smart Meter roll out and policy please email [email protected]

I am sorry to hear about your experiences with your Smart Meter.

(etc)
"

Right, OK, what should I say?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Very true. There is no simple/guaranteed way of 'guessing' when it will be cheaper than Go overnight. At times, over the past 9 months, it has been cheaper to top up in the afternoon than in the early hours of the morning. The other great unknown is what effect CV will have on the generation and demand profiles. Agile isn't a sit back and forget tariff - and the recent winds have been unusual.
I think it's got more to do with how sharp an increase in electricity generation it is. If they're able to see it coming more than a couple of days out, then they can power down gas and coal generation in advance. At that point it's not surplus energy any more. There's an inertia to that sort of stuff though. So short bursts tend to cause it, as they need those plants on-ilne for when the wind dies off again the next day.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Right, OK, what should I say?
Where do you start?
There have been so many issues we have read about but the main one that concerns me is the waste in fitting meters several times at the same house. I've had 4 and I tried to avoid having the second and third ones fitted. The waste is unacceptable. Waht is happening to the old meters and are we the consummers paying for this?

Then there is the delay in getting them fitted, the data missing for some days, some meters having to be replaced even with SMETTS 2...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Where do you start?
There have been so many issues we have read about but the main one that concerns me is the waste in fitting meters several times at the same house. I've had 4 and I tried to avoid having the second and third ones fitted. The waste is unacceptable. Waht is happening to the old meters and are we the consummers paying for this?

Then there is the delay in getting them fitted, the data missing for some days, some meters having to be replaced even with SMETTS 2...
We are paying for it with higher charges in the future. That said, Government accountants will no doubt continue to show that future energy bills will be less than they might have been were it not for the rollout of a Smart Grid (of which smart meters are just one significant part). I guess that smart metering is not a Government top priority at the moment.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Where do you start?

I believe all of the meters are supplied by leasing companies. They get returned to their respective companies and I believe get recycled. Whatever that means? I did ask when my first gen smet was being upgraded and that’s what the Octopus engineer stated. The base unit is likely to be of little use as they don’t communicate, but the meter section I would think is of value and re-usable.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Bought a couple of these smart plugs to use with Agile...
...which turned up today.
Will try them out with our far infrared red heaters in the office over the next few nights to see how they behave.

Background here...

Also looking at the first week of data on OctoWatchdog I can see I have halved the cost I would have spent on OFTM for the same kWh import, regardless of having a Powerwall2.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Back on Page 6, @donald asked:
I'd really like to know how they [the industry/grid] settle on prices, and then what they do if they get it wrong and are left with a load of power they can't get rid of.
AFAIK, there is a daily auction for each half-hour between the generators and the companies that buy the electricity so they can supply us, with the National Grid as second by second controller buying / selling on instantaneous shortage or surplus. There is then an after the event balancing (ie. those who took more than they said they would [or generators who generated less than they said they would] pay for the extra that they took [or failed to generate], probably at cost/quantity).

The recent figures are posted at Electricity Data Summary | BMRS, which also gives the estimated (and actual) national demand figures, and the mix of sources used in any recent half-hour.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Back on Page 6, @donald asked:

AFAIK, there is a daily auction for each half-hour between the generators and the companies that buy the electricity so they can supply us, with the National Grid as second by second controller buying / selling on instantaneous shortage or surplus. There is then an after the event balancing (ie. those who took more than they said they would [or generators who generated less than they said they would] pay for the extra that they took [or failed to generate], probably at cost/quantity).

The recent figures are posted at Electricity Data Summary | BMRS, which also gives the estimated (and actual) national demand figures, and the mix of sources used in any recent half-hour.
Complex stuff for sure.
CV19 must be going to make some changes across the piece.
Be interesting to see what demand movements occur.

interesting link at bottom of first page too...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
WRT the Ecopush, does anyone know if it will switch on in half-hour segments to get the best rates, or whether it picks the best contiguous period of rates for the length of time that you requested? The former might be better say for a well insulated immersion heater, the latter better say for a washing machine where you wouldn't want it to cool down between periods.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
WRT the Ecopush, does anyone know if it will switch on in half-hour segments to get the best rates, or whether it picks the best contiguous period of rates for the length of time that you requested? The former might be better say for a well insulated immersion heater, the latter better say for a washing machine where you wouldn't want it to cool down between periods.
Only just getting to understand the software app.
looks like it (at present) only chooses the cheapest continuous period within the time zone you select. However you can add lots of time periods manually so think you could setup an hour timeslot with a 30min window and do that multiple times throughout the night, day too of course. Although just looked at doing this and time is only set able in 20min from 20 to 200mins.

one thing I hadn’t appreciated is this can be used with any elecy supplier that you happen to be with and still use the agile data to get best co2 etc. Not the rates though Unless on Agile.
it says it approximates this but it knows your postcode, so I think it’s likely to be correct.
it also has economy 7/10 or fixed rate setup.
pics below is what it has deemed best rate for 2hrs tonight for lowest price...

·
Registered
119 Posts
But the dishwasher is empty
So are the cars...
I saw the cheap daytime prices and didn't charge last night.

Not seen daytime prices this cheap before...

Tonight's prices may be more expensive. The 22.30-23.00 is 6.46p/kWh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I didn't charge either car last night, it was sunny today so I made use of the free electricity from the solar panels for the Golf today. Tomorrow I hope to charge the Niro in the same way. As we are supposed to be avoiding going out we haven't driven many miles so don't need to charge very much.
I did heat the hot water tank during the cheap period this afternoon so I don't need to do that tonight.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
@Woodulike How are you managing to not use electricity between 4pm and 7pm? Do you cook with gas?
We don't have PV Solar so our average kWh price is about 8.5p. To answer your question, we do three things (apart from the obvious of not running the dishwasher; washing machine or tumble dryer during the peak period): one, we use a slow cooker rather than the oven; two, we have our main meal at lunchtime when we can, and, three, we use the gas hob and microwave. It is worth noting that peak prices have been a lot higher than they are at the moment.

181 - 200 of 256 Posts