Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

201 - 220 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
We don't avoid cooking from 4-7, we just use so much overnight that it balances it out. Our PV is mostly east facing with some south facing. Its finished generating before 4pm, or it has been for most of the last 3 months.

If I could persuade my wife to eat at 8pm it would be even better, but that's never going to happen.
Now my wife can't work and we are only taking essential trips our usage will become more normal. I'm not heater the hot water overnight as much either and once the heating is off we won't use anywhere near as much. It will be interesting to see how that affects the overall unit price.

We've used nearly as much in the last 3 months as we used each year before installing the PV panels, and as much of that as possible during the cheap half hours.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Fascinated to see how it works for us... we have a 9kWp solar PV that is split E/W with a 6kW inverter... it is already generating over 38kWh per sunny day! We use about 20kWh... sometimes as much as 28kWh... we have a hot tub and with the Leaf coming this week that will only go up. Most of that is used outside the 4-7 period.

My fear is that we will save a packet outside 4-7 but, as we cook all electric and eat around 5-5.30 normally, we may end up using up the savings we have made just cooking dinner! I suppose I have to ask myself how much energy I will use typically cooking dinner? Honestly don't know... but 3kW over, on for an hour + 2kW hob for the same is probably the max... so say 5kWh at say 30p/kWh instead of the current 15p so, doing the sums (very rough and estimated!)...

Current... 15p/kWh x 25kWh = £3.75

Agile estimate (reasonable pricing estimates: day 7p & peak 30p): (20 x 7p = £1.40) + (5 x 30p = £1.50) = £2.90

So, on this "back of a fag packet" estimate Agile should be cheaper especially as I doubt we use anything like 5kWh every day.

One question I do have for those already on Agile... I have a display in my living room showing how much I have spent for the day/week/month... does that display show the real cost once you are on Agile taking into account the changing cost/kWh?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
One question I do have for those already on Agile... I have a display in my living room showing how much I have spent for the day/week/month... does that display show the real cost once you are on Agile taking into account the changing cost/kWh?
Short answer is no.
IHD isn’t capable or aware of Agile and cannot currently display anything meaningful in most views.

Only screen worth using is the instantaneous view as that shows what is really being imported at any moment.
If you get the OctoWatchdog app iOS only, then you will be able to see historical data for the peak periods and adjust your usage accordingly, if possible. Battery solution makes most sense for shifting usage, but does come at large price.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
The IHD not showing the correct pricing is a omission IMO and smacks of shortcuts in the design. Oh well, it is what it is. Fortunately I have a SolarEdge MODBus monitor with my solar PV system that records my use in 15 min intervals (both production and consumption).

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The IHD not showing the correct pricing is a omission IMO and smacks of shortcuts in the design. Oh well, it is what it is. Fortunately I have a SolarEdge MODBus monitor with my solar PV system that records my use in 15 min intervals (both production and consumption).
The IHD will display the tariff downloaded to the smart meter. The problem is that smart meters (inc SMETS2) were not designed with 30 minute ToU tariffs in mind. The ‘reconciliation’ is carried out by the supplier using the 30 minute usage data which is captured from the DCC once every 24 hours.

My IHD is still showing gas tariff information from 3 months ago! It is worth bearing in mind that IHDs were always an after thought.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Wow, look at my massive use after 5PM!!

Who'd have thunk it?

Is Agile right for me?

View attachment 129208
There seems to be some very cyclic patterns throughout the 24hr period.
this is how my import typically looks with a Powerwall2 and Solar...

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,291 Posts
You need to stop on the way home and take a long walk. If you get home at about 7 Agile will suit you perfectly.
You do realise I am a cheeky chap and was just trying to get a conversation going! ;)

Always make sure you can see the scale;

This is what it looks like with a bit of night time 2.2kW charging (still on a granny ATM).

:D

At the moment, my electricity cost looks to be less than the standing charge!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Export is currently topping up the balance nicely.
I can't get paid for exporting sadly (no installation certificate), but I am starting to notice that solar is shaving my peak usage.

Clock change will soon stop that.

Screenshot_20200324-170744.png

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You do realise I am a cheeky chap and was just trying to get a conversation going! ;)
Always make sure you can see the scale....
Cunningly removed in first post pic.. but was a complete 24hrs.
so what is that cyclic usage all the time then?

Just noticed Zarch posted info on tomorrow and shows lockdown affect on pricing. Just as well sun is going to offset with solar generation.

·
25,291 Posts
Cunningly removed in first post pic.. but was a complete 24hrs.
so what is that cyclic usage all the time then?

Just noticed Zarch posted info on tomorrow and shows lockdown affect on pricing. Just as well sun is going to offset with solar generation.
I think it's just what the boiler uses when it fires up and pumps the central heating.

I figured a lock down would/will probably mean people shutting off power generation and then it'd shift the price point back up, Currently sitting on 87% and probably will stay there for a while yet.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I think it's just what the boiler uses when it fires up and pumps the central heating.

I figured a lock down would/will probably mean people shutting off power generation and then it'd shift the price point back up, Currently sitting on 87% and probably will stay there for a while yet.
Could be the boiler. Did wonder if it was the fridge freezer, seems possible, but usually less of a sinewave (not of course). Maybe a combo of both.
When we first got solar and owl intution, I could not fathom out why there were high spikes of consumption during the night. It was yonks before I found out.
The fridge/freezer is a frost free design and the freezer actually has a heater element at the rear (invisible) to clear the evaporator, which I had not appreciated.

·
25,291 Posts
Could be the boiler. Did wonder if it was the fridge freezer, seems possible, but usually less of a sinewave (not of course). Maybe a combo of both.
When we first got solar and owl intution, I could not fathom out why there were high spikes of consumption during the night. It was yonks before I found out.
The fridge/freezer is a frost free design and the freezer actually has a heater element at the rear (invisible) to clear the evaporator, which I had not appreciated.
Yeah, we have one that draws about 200W at a time. I was having suspicions of problems with it at the time and plugged in a power meter. Uuuup the power went to 200W and I was thinking 'wow, something's gone bad'. Well, it had, the panel at the back had not been fitted properly when new and as the heater melted the ice on the evaporator matrix it pushed condensate into the freezer and it got worse and worse over time. It happened again recently, but knew what that was about this time around.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I thought tomorrow's price was looking low for most of the day, or have I misunderstood your comment?
My bad wording and not spending the time to fully comment. Doh. Should have been more explicit. Solar will fill our Powerwall2 up and offset that big peak. Cheap all day. Assume Zarch is saying the lack of business consumption is making prices cheaper since nearly everything has closed down, so little demand. Interesting to think just agile customers are really benefiting whereas others will no doubt be importing more elecy as home all day, so costing them more. At least the sun is warming properties up, so maybe less heating required for those that get solar warmth benefit.

Looking at our house we are exporting later in day, with this weather. Must check some data from a year ago and see how it compares, as I think it’s less than it used to be with Powerwall2, just haven’t got an EV to charge foc with the excess.

201 - 220 of 301 Posts