Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

281 - 300 of 611 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,262 Posts
Really?

That's a special sort of solar that can completely disconnect from the grid. Surely it needs to grid-tie, and powers down if not?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Really?

That's a special sort of solar that can completely disconnect from the grid. Surely it needs to grid-tie, and powers down if not?
There are DC and AC isolation switches in all Solar installs, so just a matter of turning one or the other off. Doesnt make sense though for older installs as getting FIT for amount generated.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What I would like to know is why, with such a surplus, were we generating 3,600-4,000 MW from gas during the day?

see Electricity Data Summary | BMRS
This was annoying me a while back but with coal. Big wind generation, but it was gas that got scaled back rather than switching the coal off.

I'm 90% sure we could have been coal free all this year without issue.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
....and another cheap (sub-1p going negative at 3:30am) night overnight.

I don't think I've got anything left that needs power.
So I gather a first for daytime plunge. 2 days plunge in a row is that a first also?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ho hum, didn't do very well today as not only was my PV pumping it out I decided to have a wood-fired pizza outside so didn't even have the oven on. Did do some heating in a chilly north facing room, some hot temperature washing, dishwasher, bit of other cooking but failed to make much of a dent in the solar let alone take from the grid. Even forgot to have a long shower after working in the garden, but will have a hot bath with my full tank.
Definitely need an EV at this rate!

·
26,262 Posts
Electricity money 'made' running the dishwasher at -2p/kWh = 3p

Cost of dishwasher = £300

Total lifetime of dishwasher = 2000 cycles

Cost of dishwasher per operating cycle = 15p

meh!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Really?

Not a sparkie and dont know how electrickery solar works
Basic principle if you want no interruption to power supply you need to synchronize both supplies together .
The alternative is have interruption of power and connect Grid or Off grid to load.s interdependently.
If wrong i stand corrected !.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Electricity money 'made' running the dishwasher at -2p/kWh = 3p

Cost of dishwasher = £300

Total lifetime of dishwasher = 2000 cycles

Cost of dishwasher per operating cycle = 15p

meh!
I reckon an Argos fan heater is the lowest capital cost for most energy burning potential...any advance...?

Purchase cost £10
Assumed operating life 1000 hours
Energy "earned" at -3p/kWh = 6p/hour
Capital cost = 1p/hour.

That's a business case in anybody's money 😜

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Our dishwasher has done a lot more than 2000 cycles. It's used at least once a day and it's more than 5 years old, but can't remember how long we've had it. It might be as long as 10 years.
Only 10 years old! Pretty much new then, hardly run in yet. ;)
We have an AEG, proper German built one, that is 20 years old, still works and as efficient as any modern day rubbish that fails just after warranty expires.
Had one replacement drive motor and a pump, if memory serves me well.

·
26,262 Posts
So, when's the next price plunge? Been wearing the same underpants for 3 days now, waiting for the right time to run the washing machine ......

:sneaky:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I reckon an Argos fan heater is the lowest capital cost for most energy burning potential...any advance...?
Isn't running the eTron earning you enough if you can charge at 22kW at home? ;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Isn't running the eTron earning you enough if you can charge at 22kW at home? ;)
Sadly only single phase / 7kW charging at home. Maximum is 11kW, although I believe 2020 models might have a 22kW option. I could always get another one but don't think the business case stacks up quite as well as the fan heater...

·
26,262 Posts
The next windy and sunny weekend is my guess.
I won't need to wash my pants if that's the case, just hang them outside for half an hour's airing.

281 - 300 of 611 Posts