Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 687 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yep, I used to be on Ebico as a very low user, about 1100kWh a year. I've moved to Agile as I thought Ebico were taking the p. and in hopes of getting an EV.

For those of you saying that there are fixed costs and low users should use more, a paraphrase of some opinions here (let them eat brioche..) :), it should be pointed out that higher users do put greater demands on the system, both for generation and particularly the local network.

My smart meters went in on the 17th January but there seems to have been a bit of an issue with my account (2 leccy meters showing and no gas..) which seems to have been rectified. Hopefully I'll be on it in a day or two and I can start playing the system. It would be nice if we had a few sunny days though as my solar panels have been a bit sad recently..

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
107 Posts
Yep, I used to be on Ebico as a very low user, about 1100kWh a year. I've moved to Agile as I thought Ebico were taking the p. and in hopes of getting an EV.

For those of you saying that there are fixed costs and low users should use more, a paraphrase of some opinions here (let them eat brioche..) :), it should be pointed out that higher users do put greater demands on the system, both for generation and particularly the local network.

My smart meters went in on the 17th January but there seems to have been a bit of an issue with my account (2 leccy meters showing and no gas..) which seems to have been rectified. Hopefully I'll be on it in a day or two and I can start playing the system. It would be nice if we had a few sunny days though as my solar panels have been a bit sad recently..
I also tried Ebico for a while, but it was some years ago and I don't recall whether that Min usage/spend thing was a thing back then, I certainly wasn't aware of it at the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just started with Agile
I used to be with First utility then Iresa (went bust not surprised )Ofgen moved me to Octopus
When i was with First utility had a small GUI for gas and electric ,stopped working with Iresa
Now with Octopus i can use the GUI again to see all my usage and on it I can see the Agile tariff

Happy Days :)

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,042 Posts
For people with an Apple Watch, there's a new app that displays the rates:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
For people with an Apple Watch, there's a new app that displays the rates:

A Raspberry Pi with a small Eink display might be cheaper.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd be interested to hear people's ideas for making the most of Agile. Low tech and hi tech solutions welcome!

Aside from the EV and the usual kitchen appliances, I don't have any major electrical consumption.

Gas central heating & HW (combi - no immersion), gas hob.
Electric oven (13 amp). 2kW fan heater which gets used more than it should...
Dishwasher and dryer have crude built in timers (3/6/9 hr delay), washing machine doesn't

Plan so far:
  • Run dryer and dishwasher overnight (I'm happy to let them run while I sleep)
  • Use gas hob for tea & coffee during peak hours
  • Forbid the 2kW heater during the peak!
  • 1 laptop and 1 phone - negligible consumption, so not much saving?. Maybe a 4-way adaptor plugged into a timeswitch for these + anything else that needs charging, since I have one anyway.
  • If I want to roast a chicken at 6pm once in a while I will, and won't get too upset about it!
When the price is negative, is it socially/ environmentally sensible to switch oven on for three hours?!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'd be interested to hear people's ideas for making the most of Agile. Low tech and hi tech solutions welcome!

Aside from the EV and the usual kitchen appliances, I don't have any major electrical consumption.

Gas central heating & HW (combi - no immersion), gas hob.
Electric oven (13 amp). 2kW fan heater which gets used more than it should...
Dishwasher and dryer have crude built in timers (3/6/9 hr delay), washing machine doesn't

Plan so far:
  • Run dryer and dishwasher overnight (I'm happy to let them run while I sleep)
  • Use gas hob for tea & coffee during peak hours
  • Forbid the 2kW heater during the peak!
  • 1 laptop and 1 phone - negligible consumption, so not much saving?. Maybe a 4-way adaptor plugged into a timeswitch for these + anything else that needs charging, since I have one anyway.
  • If I want to roast a chicken at 6pm once in a while I will, and won't get too upset about it!
When the price is negative, is it socially/ environmentally sensible to switch oven on for three hours?!
I have found a good savings and able to do washing ect during the day on around 6-7p as well as a bit more flexibility with daytime charging as your not on a set 15p. Only time to avoid is 4-7pm but if you are using quite a bit during the day the savings easy outweighs the peak. Biggest advantage is a few days you can charge well below the 5p onoctopus go.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,336 Posts
Seems mad, but yes, you are adding a distributed load to throttle back the excess, it is necessary to help preserve the grid, that is why it is a negative price.

It's because of the margin from renewables, of course, you know that, but this is why renewables alone are a bit of a problem. They have to be in combination with a TWh or so of energy storage, or base load supplies in the 10's GW range, or a mix of both. Not sure anyone has got a grip on this yet, but, yeah, turn the oven on by make sure it is electric!! ;)

Of course, if you are 'making' 20p from your £400 oven, then have you reduced its longevity by doing so by more than 1/2000th?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Try slow cooking rather than using the oven in peak time. If you really want to maximise Agile low cost use, then spend £25 on a smart plug for every socket in the house, and then sit back and think about the pennies that you are saving!:unsure:

On a more serious note, our tumble dryer gave up after 20 years (they really do not make white goods to last these days). As I could make use of an Affinity discount, we decided to go for a A+++ heat pump model. It dries a 9kg mixed load in 2 1/2 hours at c.500 Watts. Total annual usage is stated to be 194kWhs for 2 loads a week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am just moving over to Octopus and was looking at smart home chargers. Is there any really smart ones out there that will charge at the lower rates that anyone can recommend ? Saying that I am thinking to go on the fixed 5 p tariff.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I am just moving over to Octopus and was looking at smart home chargers. Is there any really smart ones out there that will charge at the lower rates that anyone can recommend ? Saying that I am thinking to go on the fixed 5 p tariff.
If you need to charge every commuter night, then Go is probably better/cheaper than Agile. Agile prices are unusually low at the moment because of the windy conditions. Attached are the prices for today for my region.

I looked at Ohme as an option but I ruled it out for the simple reason that if anything goes wrong there are no user replaceable parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you need to charge every commuter night, then Go is probably better/cheaper than Agile. Agile prices are unusually low at the moment because of the windy conditions. Attached are the prices for today for my region.

I looked at Ohme as an option but I ruled it out for the simple reason that if anything goes wrong there are no user replaceable parts.
That does seem higher than I expected Vs Go

Sent from my NX629J using Tapatalk

·
26,336 Posts
I've got 9.7p/kWh showing at 1AM yet 6.8p/kWh at 22:30.

So, how do these prices get set? Is there some sort of auction that goes on with the suppliers?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I've got 9.7p/kWh showing at 1AM yet 6.8p/kWh at 22:30.

So, how do these prices get set? Is there some sort of auction that goes on with the suppliers?
Your guess is as good as mine.

·
26,336 Posts
"As a result, Agile may be a big lossmaker for us, or may be excessively profitable."

I can't tell if that means they are being innovative start-up risk takers, or an honest-but-out-of-their-depth new business!

... probably both ...

I am sort of surprised at the 2.2x multiplier on wholesale rates, for two reasons;

• I'd have thought the real cost model was 'the wholesale rate' plus some admin cost, which would better track the real cost/value to both business and customer
  • Is the wholesale price really in the 2 to 3 p/kWh range for most of the day! Sheesh, we seem to have electricity getting close to 'too cheap to meter', it's all distribution cost!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
"As a result, Agile may be a big lossmaker for us, or may be excessively profitable."

I can't tell if that means they are being innovative start-up risk takers, or an honest-but-out-of-their-depth new business!

... probably both ...

I am sort of surprised at the 2.2x multiplier on wholesale rates, for two reasons;

• I'd have thought the real cost model was 'the wholesale rate' plus some admin cost, which would better track the real cost/value to both business and customer
  • Is the wholesale price really in the 2 to 3 p/kWh range for most of the day! Sheesh, we seem to have electricity getting close to 'too cheap to meter', it's all distribution cost!
According to Ofgem’s figures (as @ Aug 19), the wholesale cost of electricity accounted for 32p in every bill £. Each time Ofgem comes up with a clever initiative like the consumer levy for failed suppliers, the proportion of every bill that covers non wholesale costs increases. In 2011, the wholesale cost accounted for 42p in every £.

21 - 40 of 687 Posts