Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

561 - 580 of 658 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
NO power source delivers " 100% all the time" Nuclear has had and still has whole nuclear power stations shut down and others working at reduced capacity. Interconnectors stop working. Whole gas and coal stations going off line without any predictability. Wind and solar are at low levels. This is all in a days work for the Nat Grid.

The "stuff" we have now does deliver 100% (the proof of the pudding ..... ). If you need to add at less cost then shut down nuclear and coal and build even more wind and solar as all the investors keep showing.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,293 Posts
NO power source delivers " 100% all the time"
That's right, and no-one said there was such a manmade source.

·
26,293 Posts
The "stuff" we have now does deliver 100% (the proof of the pudding ..... ). If you need to add at less cost then shut down nuclear and coal and build even more wind and solar as all the investors keep showing.
I think you're in a difference conversation to this one.

Yeah, sure, keep on building renewables, but when is enough 'enough'? You can never get to 100% wind/solar without storage, and you just can't install enough storage.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Remarkably for its ~1kW consumption it is keeping the kitchen cool with the oven running at 4kW and the convection heater at 1.5kW. Interesting test to see how powerful its cooling power is.
That's how a lot of offices operate even with central heating/cooling. Some people are in fleeces in the summer with their own little fan heater. Others are in shorts and are turning the A/C on. I've also seen some that have a portable humidifier running - they believe central A/C dries the air too much. 🤦‍♂️

·
26,293 Posts
I managed to kill 30kWh from 11 to 4 (no car, that was done yesterday). How did you guys do?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Managed about 65kWh during the negative pricing through the night & day.
Car needed charging as collecting shopping later and taking it over to a relative that is in isolation.
Oven heat cycle for cleaning, plus loads of other uses.
Negative pricing tomorrow too from 1:30AM-10AM & few times after & before lunch. But not as low as today.

Now have the Octopus Watch app on Android and credit for yesterday was -7p for just over 30kWh import.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Negative pricing tomorrow too from 1:30AM-10AM & few times after & before lunch. But not as low as today.
Yeh it's averaging around -4p/kWh from 02:30 to 09:30. I'm setting the heaters and dehumids on timer for the 7 hours - they draw about 6kW combined.

I wonder if analysis is being done on the effect of us Agile users to take some the excess. It really has to be lower than -2p/kWh for it to be worth setting up all these extra loads.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I only managed 8 kWp, no idea of the total usage. I drew a line at getting the extension lead out and using the hot air fan on my wood store at the bottom of the garden! I don't know anybody with an EV otherwise I would have invited them round..

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think you're in a difference conversation to this one.
That seems to be a common theme on threads on which you post.. I have no idea the exact point you were trying to make initially, but it appeared, the impression, was that you thought renewables needed too much capital investment for a particular end result. Apologies if I have misconstrued what you were attempting to communicate.

The reality is that all peaks need additional investment: ask a transport economist, or wonder why we have gas peak lopping plant.

In the longer term the negative pricing may be problematic, as WithEthyl has hinted, but there are plenty of us trying to arbitrage a confusing market! Longer term more EVs will tend to dampen down the swings. In the future there may be better ways of utilising the peaks and surpluses by (say) generating H, but nobody can say that the market isn't giving out appropriate signals at the moment!

·
26,293 Posts
I am not even bothering to open Pete's "Price plunge alert" any more.

The fine winds are making a bit of a rod for their backs; I want to be paid MORE for using their electricity. MORE. C'mon. 'Free' doesn't cut it now. 0p/kWh feels like a rip off!!

:sneaky:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've managed 65kWh today...and I'm pleased to report that it should soon be visible in my account, following the issues over the last few days usage to Thursday has just popped up on the website.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,626 Posts
Although it's fascinating to watch, clearly people on the thread do not value their own time.

Has anybody accumulated the price at a round of drinks yet?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Although it's fascinating to watch, clearly people on the thread do not value their own time.

For me, it's more about understanding the carbon cost of producing our power, and how we as consumers can influence that...and, of course, the novelty of getting paid to consume something that clearly has value. Financially, yes, it's small beer (see what I did there...;)).

·
Registered
172 Posts

Long term, once the novelty has gone, it'll only work if it can be automated - fit a smart switch to your water heater, EV charger, storage heaters etc. enter your settings and then leave it to optimise.
And for things like electric heating and EV charging where the consumption is high, it does add up.

For Agile, you wouldn't just benefit from the odd period of negative pricing, you pick up a saving every day by optimising to consume during the lowest cost periods.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
For me, it's more about understanding the carbon cost of producing our power, and how we as consumers can influence that...and, of course, the novelty of getting paid to consume something that clearly has value. Financially, yes, it's small beer (see what I did there...;)).
Interesting you mention carbon.

So whilst some people are optimising their charging/energy consumption to make best use of the low prices, others are going beyond this and using devices purely for the sake of wasting energy (ovens, heaters etc).

Wasted energy is still wasted energy. And my limited understanding is that it's the gas power stations that are following the demand.

So whilst I understand that the grid is using pricing to encourage energy consumption at certain times, it also seems disingenuous to believe that wasting energy is anything but for economical gain.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Interesting you mention carbon.

So whilst some people are optimising their charging/energy consumption to make best use of the low prices, others are going beyond this and using devices purely for the sake of wasting energy (ovens, heaters etc).

Wasted energy is still wasted energy. And my limited understanding is that it's the gas power stations that are following the demand.

So whilst I understand that the grid is using pricing to encourage energy consumption at certain times, it also seems disingenuous to believe that wasting energy is anything but for economical gain.
Indeed...and, as mentioned earlier in this thread (I think), I am only time-shifting demand that I would have anyway - and, to a very minor extent, switching from gas to electricity (some cooking changes). Only time I'd be comfortable "wasting" energy is if there were zero gas turbine use and we still had surplus renewables. It's not happened yet.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Normally I'd disagree and say that the Gas Turbine CHP are left producing as it takes many hours to run them down "sympathetically", but given the length of the negative pricing I can't believe that is the case. Instead I presume it must be due to the contracts that are in place undertaking to supply continuously - these might have been sensible in the normal world but not in the current one with so much shut down.

561 - 580 of 658 Posts