Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

801 - 820 of 941 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,232 Posts
My average unit rate for Agile is still under 9p for the last month, and that is using whatever needed, whenever needed. I am sure I could get that down to around 6-7p without much effort.
We tend to not do utilities at that time but even that is a small sum. Cooking and baking are mostly at peak hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
That would kill it for me, we use about a third to half our daily energy at the most expensive times, it'll be the oven / hub at kids meal times. I do like the concept though. Currently I'm still on a Symbio black friday deal so paying less than 11p per kwh at all times, just charge the car whenever I want, though I do try and wait for windy days!
I guess thats the point though right? Most folk use the vast majority of their energy in those hours, which is a) why its expensive, and b) why standard domestic tariffs are priced the way they are.

The biggest benefactors of ToU billing are (currently at least) people who have abnormal load profiles. The more heavily you consume at/around the peak, the better off you will be on a standard tariff.

Theres a Plugin for EmonCMS that i fancy trying that you can use to plot your consumption against Agile and see how it all shakes out.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
116 Posts
I guess thats the point though right? Most folk use the vast majority of their energy in those hours, which is a) why its expensive, and b) why standard domestic tariffs are priced the way they are.

The biggest benefactors of ToU billing are (currently at least) people who have abnormal load profiles. The more heavily you consume at/around the peak, the better off you will be on a standard tariff.

Theres a Plugin for EmonCMS that i fancy trying that you can use to plot your consumption against Agile and see how it all shakes out.
Well yes, i get that's the point, but that peak cost is very high at the moment.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
116 Posts
It’s not as bad as you think
This was yesterday. Kids want need pizza so the oven was on for a fair bit

Okay years average cost was 12p/kWh but overall I’m still under 8p consider last week has been higher than normal cost

On any give day we have cooking related usage but it’s never too bad.
Overall our household is heavy usage

That is high usage, we are about 6kwh per day! (excluding car charging)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
That is high usage, we are about 6kwh per day! (excluding car charging)
Our annual usage is well over 10k kWh.
8 years ago we swapped gas hob for induction hob. We have electric shower, tumble drier too.

Leaf usage was average 500kWh per month pre COVID and is close to the same level.
Also charging Outlander every so often so overall electricity for cars will increase to 650-700kWh.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
116 Posts
Our annual usage is well over 10k kWh.
8 years ago we swapped gas hob for induction hob. We have electric shower, tumble drier too.

Leaf usage was average 500kWh per month pre COVID and is close to the same level.
Also charging Outlander every so often so overall electricity for cars will increase to 650-700kWh.

We don't have gas (use oil), so have halogen hobs. But no electric shower or tumble drier, they can certainly eat electric though!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Looking at this month we are circa 16kwh daily average for the house, and circa 22kwh daily average including the EV.

Oddly enough, no induction hob or electric shower here, both of those are gas fuelled. Just lots of electricals. House never dips below about 350w.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
At the time, 8.2p seemed 'cheap' so I don't have a lot of sympathy for anyone having to charge at 7ppu.
My comment was a little tongue in cheek.
It's only the incredibly cheap prices we have had for months that makes 7p seem expensive. We are mostly averaging below 7p per kWh, that's very cheap in comparison to most tariffs.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Looking at this month we are circa 16kwh daily average for the house, and circa 22kwh daily average including the EV.

Oddly enough, no induction hob or electric shower here, both of those are gas fuelled. Just lots of electricals. House never dips below about 350w.
Oh we have background usage of 350w or so throughout the day. In March I did DIY install of 1kWp PV install and surprisingly it often takes care of the background load between 1100 to 1600.

At some point I need to get a proper install on the main roof and a load of batteries

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,580 Posts
That 12p was at 2012 prices so has increased with inflation.
It's not comparing like with like.

A guaranteed 24hr rate is a different value-proposition to 'yeah, you can have it for 5p .. if we have some'.

I've also not heard of anyone's lives being saved by the valuable contribution of medical isotopes generated by a wind turbine.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
It's not comparing like with like.

A guaranteed 24hr rate is a different value-proposition to 'yeah, you can have it for 5p .. if we have some'.

I've also not heard of anyone's lives being saved by the valuable contribution of medical isotopes generated by a wind turbine.
Remind me of the cleanup costs associated with Nuclear fission plants? Does the overall revenue generated guarantee a cleanup?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,580 Posts
Remind me of the cleanup costs associated with Nuclear fission plants? Does the overall revenue generated guarantee a cleanup?

That's just bad engineering.

It's like asking how much a wind turbine costs if it falls down the day after it's put up .. bad engineering costs money .. your point being?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
That's just bad engineering.

It's like asking how much a wind turbine costs if it falls down the day after it's put up .. bad engineering costs money .. your point being?
Can't really put my finger on it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My comment was a little tongue in cheek.
It's only the incredibly cheap prices we have had for months that makes 7p seem expensive. We are mostly averaging below 7p per kWh, that's very cheap in comparison to most tariffs.
I realised that but thought clarifying the actual relative levels was worth doing.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Oh we have background usage of 350w or so throughout the day. In March I did DIY install of 1kWp PV install and surprisingly it often takes care of the background load between 1100 to 1600.
Your DIY solar install sounds interesting. Do you have more details to share please? I am pretty clued up with the general concepts and wiring, just never found a good resource to try a small 'low-risk' experiment.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Your DIY solar install sounds interesting. Do you have more details to share please? I am pretty clued up with the general concepts and wiring, just never found a good resource to try a small 'low-risk' experiment.
I posted it here

I picked up 14 used panels along with my SolarEdge inverter.
Decided to try it on ground floor extension roof as it is south facing.

Picked up inverter (SolarEdge needs specific voltage etc so decided not to use it), clamps etc for 300 and wired it.
Installed additional outdoor socket where the inverter plugs in. Feel free to ask any specific bits.
Hardest bit was installing the clamps and cutting the tiles. Got better after the first set

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Almost worth switching back to Go?

801 - 820 of 941 Posts