Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

821 - 840 of 941 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What's the other one where you get a number of hours at 5p of your choice? Can you ask to be on that one?
It's a variant of Go. You need to ask them to be invited to that plan as it's not generally available.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Go Faster was a trial (although most Octopus products appear to be Beta) where you could have three hours at 4.5p/kWh, the standard Go four hours at 5p/kWh, or 5 hours at 5.5p/kWh with a degree of choice (although you weren't necessarily granted your request) as to when this started between 20:00 and 00:30. I don't know whether you can still get onto it and what happened as I jumped from it to Agile.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
166 Posts
I don't think I would jump ship just yet. I've only been on Agile a month. I'm hoping that when the Autumn storms come, I'll be laughing all the way to the powerbank.

Where is everyone seeing their average cost per kWh? I can see it day by day in my PDF bill, but I haven't had one for 3 weeks. Is there somewhere else on the website or app I can view it?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,580 Posts
My last said 4.4p/kWh but I think the next will be a lot more than that.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I don't think I would jump ship just yet. I've only been on Agile a month. I'm hoping that when the Autumn storms come, I'll be laughing all the way to the powerbank.

Where is everyone seeing their average cost per kWh? I can see it day by day in my PDF bill, but I haven't had one for 3 weeks. Is there somewhere else on the website or app I can view it?
There's an IPhone app called Octowatchdog that shows your usage over the past month and average cost. Not available on Android unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
And there's also Octopus Watch which does likewise on both Android and IOS.

The figures are close to the tipping point with Go for me which is 7.8p/kWh.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I posted it here

I picked up 14 used panels along with my SolarEdge inverter.
Decided to try it on ground floor extension roof as it is south facing.

Picked up inverter (SolarEdge needs specific voltage etc so decided not to use it), clamps etc for 300 and wired it.
Installed additional outdoor socket where the inverter plugs in. Feel free to ask any specific bits.
Hardest bit was installing the clamps and cutting the tiles. Got better after the first set

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I've had an itchy trigger finger for a while over a DIY install. I have a 1500w inverter, and was going to stick 6 panels on my workshop roof...

One issue is getting hold of used panels seems impossible, anyone local i've seen selling them wants far too much for them, often just as cheap buying new.

The sticking point seems to be approval. I had considered just "winging it", probably get away with it just fine on an old type meter, even if it means losing the export payments, but on a smart one, probably not... I believe that in theory you can get DNO signoff for export without MCS, but i suspect they'll make it awkward?

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,232 Posts
I've had an itchy trigger finger for a while over a DIY install. I have a 1500w inverter, and was going to stick 6 panels on my workshop roof...

One issue is getting hold of used panels seems impossible, anyone local i've seen selling them wants far too much for them, often just as cheap buying new.

The sticking point seems to be approval. I had considered just "winging it", probably get away with it just fine on an old type meter, even if it means losing the export payments, but on a smart one, probably not... I believe that in theory you can get DNO signoff for export without MCS, but i suspect they'll make it awkward?
I was looking at eBay for a while for used PV when my neighbour mentioned his friend having PV taken off for extension. I asked about price and got 14 plus inverter for £200. Sure those were 245W but I’m not complaining.

I’ve picked up 1.5kW inverter to add additional panels at some point.

DNO sign off and approval was easy. They wanted inverter certification G83 doc (from manufacture) and proper circuit diagram. I got approval within days.
Octopus however after initial conversation said that they do not sign anyone for export tariff without MCS certification. So whatever I expect just goes to reducing grid CO2 intensity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,232 Posts

I tend to use Octopus Watchdog on iOS. It is very nifty app. Shows both electric and gas usage and electricity prices for next 24 hours and historic view too

·
Registered
169 Posts
i believe 2 nuclear plants due to restart this month. One that has been off since 2018. So that should help a bit. ( as I understand it starting a nuclear plant takes ages, they can’t just go from 0 to 1 GW in a day or two ).

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I posted it here

I picked up 14 used panels along with my SolarEdge inverter.
Decided to try it on ground floor extension roof as it is south facing.

Picked up inverter (SolarEdge needs specific voltage etc so decided not to use it), clamps etc for 300 and wired it.
Installed additional outdoor socket where the inverter plugs in. Feel free to ask any specific bits.
Hardest bit was installing the clamps and cutting the tiles. Got better after the first set

Id love to do this on a large shed with about 4 panels to just top up a battery to feed our hot tub so it's never drawing powering from the grid unless it's been refilled and heating the whole lot up again 😊
It would make use of the small pile of 18650's I've recovered and tested

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
DNO sign off and approval was easy. They wanted inverter certification G83 doc (from manufacture) and proper circuit diagram. I got approval within days.
Octopus however after initial conversation said that they do not sign anyone for export tariff without MCS certification. So whatever I expect just goes to reducing grid CO2 intensity
This seems encouraging. Was there a stock form to fill out or does it require a phone call?
The octopus thing is annoying, I actually had a similar conversation with them, they happily let you export without MCS if your doing v2g or battery to grid, but won't do it for "DIY" solar... I asked why and they said it was because you needed an export agreement number from the DNO, but if the DNO are happy to give those out without MCS then what's the problem?!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Id love to do this on a large shed with about 4 panels to just top up a battery to feed our hot tub so it's never drawing powering from the grid unless it's been refilled and heating the whole lot up again
It would make use of the small pile of 18650's I've recovered and tested
I’ve got a few hundred 18650s I got tired of being around for them.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
This seems encouraging. Was there a stock form to fill out or does it require a phone call?
The octopus thing is annoying, I actually had a similar conversation with them, they happily let you export without MCS if your doing v2g or battery to grid, but won't do it for "DIY" solar... I asked why and they said it was because you needed an export agreement number from the DNO, but if the DNO are happy to give those out without MCS then what's the problem?!
DNO required a form. I think informing them of installation should be okay as long as you don’t care about export. I took DNO approval as a challenge to see if I can

This is what Octopus came up with 2nd time around “safety of installation”.

First time it was DNO approval not notification
I was so pissed off but whatever

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Why should octopus care about the safety of the system? Why would it be their problem? If the DNO are happy for it to be connected to the grid you must have had an electrician sign it off, it sounds like an excuse.
Oh it is an excuse.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Isn't the MCS cert only if they are claiming something back from the gov as part of a feed in tariff scheme?
So if they are doing that then its not very clear/transparent.

From what i have seen of the feed in rate, its all off their back and not getting any gov kickback. Maybe they could confirm this?

821 - 840 of 941 Posts