Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

841 - 860 of 948 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,236 Posts
Isn't the MCS cert only if they are claiming something back from the gov as part of a feed in tariff scheme?
So if they are doing that then its not very clear/transparent.

From what i have seen of the feed in rate, its all off their back and not getting any gov kickback. Maybe they could confirm this?
Found this on which.co.uk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #842
This seems to be particularly expensive at the moment, any ideas why? Tempted to switch to the GO tariff if this keeps up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This seems to be particularly expensive at the moment, any ideas why?
Lack of wind and a number of nuclear power stations off line at the moment will be having an impact. Four reactors due back on line in the next two weeks by the looks of things - Power station daily status
Also sunset is getting earlier, so less solar into the evenings.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #844
Lack of wind and a number of nuclear power stations off line at the moment will be having an impact. Four reactors due back on line in the next two weeks by the looks of things - Power station daily status
Also sunset is getting earlier, so less solar into the evenings.
Thanks for that, didn't know that website existed, pretty interesting :geek:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Its been expensive all day today, but as above no wind and overcast so poor solar too.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
176 Posts
It’s been ‘expensive’ for a while, but even so my last 7 days = 8.7p, last 28 days =7.7p. That’s with minimal changes other than ‘try not to use the oven or appliances during peak’.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Indeed, nothing to worry about. Got my EV charge in Staurday when plenty-o-wind and sub 4 rates.. I won't be charging it this week for sure until the wind returns. Similarly last month was allegedly expsnive agile, but managed a 8.8p average myself. OctoWatchdog (app on iphone) really helps with monitoring your daily spend, and despite last nights high rates I managed 14.85p average rate over Monday, DESPITE the 35p peaks. And we cooked as normal during the peak. We did move the dishwasher/washing machine around.

I expect similar on todays scary rates, but to say "move to go" when it's 14p all the time, and most days, I'm sub 8p is frankly scaremongering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Indeed, nothing to worry about. Got my EV charge in Staurday when plenty-o-wind and sub 4 rates.. I won't be charging it this week for sure until the wind returns. Similarly last month was allegedly expsnive agile, but managed a 8.8p average myself. OctoWatchdog (app on iphone) really helps with monitoring your daily spend, and despite last nights high rates I managed 14.85p average rate over Monday, DESPITE the 35p peaks. And we cooked as normal during the peak. We did move the dishwasher/washing machine around.

I expect similar on todays scary rates, but to say "move to go" when it's 14p all the time, and most days, I'm sub 8p is frankly scaremongering.
That's helpful to know. I'm torn between Go and Agile at the moment but still waiting on a smart meter to be able to complete a switch. Switching most big appliances to off peak use will be easy but would likely still need occasional oven use during peak.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What's the most you've ever paid with agile? Assuming it cant be more than 14/15p

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Its been expensive all day today, but as above no wind and overcast so poor solar too.
My PV produced decent today. Max it has produced is 3.5kWh today it has been 2.7 but might be might be cloudy elsewhere.

They did say that bad state for low carbon electricity and high demand

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
What's the most you've ever paid with agile? Assuming it cant be more than 14/15p
15.48p is my worst average. Looks like I was out all day and then put the oven on in peak and the rates stayed high all evening. If I'd been in during the day or charged a car overnight (at ~6p/kWh) it would have brought the average down.

·
Registered
174 Posts
No, most expensive DAY for us peaked at 18p -> bank holiday monday 31/8, a day where high rates coincided with us cooking a lot in kitchen all day (we were pre-cooking several meals and cakes to freeze for our use during Sept).. I'm cooking tonight on 35p a Kwh rates though from scratch.... However, it's likely lower than that in reality, wife had the oven on this afternoon so it won't have to heat up from cold (and it's A rated so will retain a ton of heat).

The prices on a single day can exceed Go rates, or normal variable rates. But it's rare. Thats ONLY case above 15p average unit rate on a daily averga (ie, what I actually paid) over the last 30 days. In terms of prices above 14p, that "can be" more common and I have loads of those last week -> reason: We were away on holiday last week and the fridge being on + baseload equals at 4 kwh a day it seems, and for some of those days we hit a mighty 14.5p average -> mostly as we had nothing really on, and average rates last week were higher than normal due to the previous mention Nuclear maintainance period. I expect it'll be ridicolously cheap this winter once all the Nuclear stations are running and wind is blowing...

The data I have proves it's cheaper than Go -> Highly reccomend the OctoWatchdog app on Ios, as it literally gives you a daily bill for previous day (and last 30 days) and makes easily available.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Another 35p capped peak-period. :eek:

But the good days outweigh the bad and for us it is still cheaper than Go over periods of a week or more.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I should also share the attachment where my total usage including EV charge was just above 5p average total Saturday. For those that haven’t seen OctoWatchdog that’s what this excellent app can tell you before your bill arrives from octopus.
Android users might be interested that Octopus Watch has a very similar display.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Android users might be interested that Octopus Watch has a very similar display.
I think it has subscription open only now. I don't mind one off payment but not paying monthly fee for it

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think it has subscription open only now. I don't mind one off payment but not paying monthly fee for it

The subscription is optional for additional features. Can be monthly or annual.
You can just pay the one-off payment for the standard features of Octopus Watch on Android.

841 - 860 of 948 Posts