Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title it was working fine for months since install. Now saying lost connection no readings being displayed.

I tried resetting holding down power for 5 seconds.

No joy. Can't find anything else on re establishing connection . Anyone had this problem ?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Yup.
You're likely screwed.

Mine has been like this since the last day of May. It will either say connection lost, or go into a boot loop. Not only is the IHD Useless but the meter itself stopped sending off readings too.

It's a SMETS2 Meter, but because it wasn't installed by my current supplier the new supplier isnt willing to come and do anything about it. And they aren't willing to replace it because the computer says I already have a smart meter, even though it's not working at all.

Unfortunately there is absolutely zero way for a customer to pair these meters again once the connection is broken. It must be done by an engineer. All I can say is that I hope Octopus have better customer service and are willing to do something for you.

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,311 Posts
My chameleon IHD lost connection to the smart meter a few months back. Octopus were booked up to send an engineer out to fix it when we had a brief powercut. When the power was restored the IHD started working again. So it looks like a meter reboot fixed it! It's worked perfectly since.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think those chameleon units can be flaky. Mine certainly is. It regularly resets the day's gas consumption to zero, then resets it again to the right value half an hour later. It sometimes seems to lose all track of gas consumption entirely, presenting just a row of dashes. Sometimes it drops the link with the meters . All these conditions can be be reset, though, by switching it off then on again (!)

I'm on Octopus Go - it has never been able to distinguish between the different rates and always presents electricity consumption cost at the high rate.

No problems with either of the meters reporting to base though, which is the main thing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a smart meter for electric but Octopus haven't charged for any electricity as yet, only for the gas when I sent them a meter reading.
Was that a new install or did you transfer to Octopus from another company?

I only ask as if it is a new install, it may be that the meters didn't register properly with the DCC, and they will need to send someone out again to do that. It happened to me.

If you just transferred from someone else, they have 13 months (I think it is) to sort it out.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,975 Posts
Was that a new install or did you transfer to Octopus from another company?

I only ask as if it is a new install, it may be that the meters didn't register properly with the DCC, and they will need to send someone out again to do that. It happened to me.

If you just transferred from someone else, they have 13 months (I think it is) to sort it out.
I think it's more a billing thing. My smart meter is successfully sending my half hour readings - they can be seen in the usage data in my account.

But when I asked Octopus why there was no Electricity on my first smart metered bill, I just got a quite terse response that Go works differently and they bill every 3-6 months.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If the IHD goes into continual reboot and does not display any readings, it is more likely that the meter has lost coms and will not be reporting readings to Octopus. The fix is often to power cycle your meters/comms unit, not the IHD. Unfortunately this requires pulling the main fuse, which the consumer should not do. Check the Octopus forum for more info.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think it's more a billing thing. My smart meter is successfully sending my half hour readings - they can be seen in the usage data in my account.

But when I asked Octopus why there was no Electricity on my first smart metered bill, I just got a quite terse response that Go works differently and they bill every 3-6 months.
Fascinating! Clearly the instruction never made it to the billing dept. for my account as I get a bill regularly every month. I do remember when they swapped out my old SMETS1 meters for SMETS2 models (due to comms problems) there was a delay of some months while they sorted out the correct billing of the old SMETS1 meters.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the IHD goes into continual reboot and does not display any readings, it is more likely that the meter has lost coms and will not be reporting readings to Octopus. The fix is often to power cycle your meters/comms unit, not the IHD. Unfortunately this requires pulling the main fuse, which the consumer should not do. Check the Octopus forum for more info.
Interesting. I think you are right no reading since Wednesday have gone to octopus it seems.

I have an isolation switch between my meter and fuse so I can just flick switch and it cuts power to my meter. This will achieve the same as pulling the fuse but no risk and obviously it has a seal.

I will give this a try tommorow thank.s .

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry my mistake. It's after meter it just isolates supply from the meter to my consumer units.

On inspection it's the ZigBee unit I think anyway. The leds are off and sure they were on when it was working.

Not a good start it was only installed 3 months ago !

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Sorry my mistake. It's after meter it just isolates supply from the meter to my consumer units.

On inspection it's the ZigBee unit I think anyway. The leds are off and sure they were on when it was working.

Not a good start it was only installed 3 months ago !
If it is the comms hub, which seems likely if there are no LEDs showing, then Octopus can ask the DCC to carry out a remote comms hub reset. This turns the hub off for 15 minutes. If this fails, then Octopus may have to send out an engineer to pull the main fuse. I understand from those that know about these things that some hub manufacturers are building in a daily hub reset feature into their comms hub firmware.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If it is the comms hub, which seems likely if there are no LEDs showing, then Octopus can ask the DCC to carry out a remote comms hub reset. This turns the hub off for 15 minutes. If this fails, then Octopus may have to send out an engineer to pull the main fuse. I understand from those that know about these things that some hub manufacturers are building in a daily hub reset feature into their comms hub firmware.
Mine was solved by a remote reset but some people need the fuse pulled. I am sure my problem was caused by placing a mesh network hub too close to the meters when I was setting up my network. Never had a problem since (should not have said that).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts