Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having a bit of a problem here.
I'm with AVRO, waiting for my charger to be installed end of September and then planning to switch to Octopus.
My current electricity rate with AVRO is 16.27p/kwh and 18p standing charge and assuming I would burn through 4000kwh on a car charging alone in a year I would pay £400 more with AVRO. I'm not counting a possibility of charging at work which would cut my bill down

now, the main issue is around gas. I pay 2.99p/kwh and 18p standing charge... looking around, most gas tariffs on Octopus are around 4.6p mark and 26p standing which in essence would increase my gas prices by 85% from £350 to £650 making the savings on electricity negligible.

So my question is.... does Octopus have some special tariffs not shown on their webpage when signed up to Go/Go Faster?
Can anyone recommend another supplier that has relatively cheap gas prices (Midlands/Derbyshire). All the comparison websites tell me I can save -£200 lol

PS> I know, my tariff is due to expire in around 9-10 months but thats still some saving that can be made, and winter is basically here already since my heating has kicked in twice now.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
So I'm having a bit of a problem here.
I'm with AVRO, waiting for my charger to be installed end of September and then planning to switch to Octopus.
My current electricity rate with AVRO is 16.27p/kwh and 18p standing charge and assuming I would burn through 4000kwh on a car charging alone in a year I would pay £400 more with AVRO. I'm not counting a possibility of charging at work which would cut my bill down

now, the main issue is around gas. I pay 2.99p/kwh and 18p standing charge... looking around, most gas tariffs on Octopus are around 4.6p mark and 26p standing which in essence would increase my gas prices by 85% from £350 to £650 making the savings on electricity negligible.

So my question is.... does Octopus have some special tariffs not shown on their webpage when signed up to Go/Go Faster?
Can anyone recommend another supplier that has relatively cheap gas prices (Midlands/Derbyshire). All the comparison websites tell me I can save -£200 lol

PS> I know, my tariff is due to expire in around 9-10 months but thats still some saving that can be made, and winter is basically here already since my heating has kicked in twice now.

Thanks in advance
You don't have to switch both fuels to same company.

If Octopus electricity would be cheaper, buy it from them. If Octopus gas would be dearer, stay with present supplier's gas.

Reactions: Thepfy

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,373 Posts
Is it not possible to just move your electricity to Octopus and leave the gas with AVRO?

·
jim5452
429 Posts
>So my question is.... does Octopus have some special tariffs not shown on their webpage when signed up to Go/Go Faster?<<
OCTOPUS tariffs that are on comparision sites are not the most popular tariffs used by customers on these forums,
it does apear that a lot are using the OCTOPUS GO tariffs for electricity,especially those with EV's and using low rates of 5ppkWh and SO ENERGY for GAS

·
Registered
MG5
254 Posts
When I switched to Octopus Go my gas with them was a good price but in 6 months their rates have gone up.
If you can just swtich your electric. Do you already have a smart meter as younwil be on Octopus variable tarriff until you get a smart then you can switch to Go tariff

·
Registered
28 Posts
@mattski I was in the same boat as you, wanted to keep my cheap Avro gas tariff but switch electricity to Octopus for their Go tariff. I switched a few months ago and everything went smoothly, electricity with Octopus and gas with Avro.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GTline CCS
851 Posts
OCTOPUS tariffs that are on comparision sites are not the most popular tariffs used by customers on these forums,
it does apear that a lot are using the OCTOPUS GO tariffs for electricity,especially those with EV's and using low rates of 5ppkWh and SO ENERGY for GAS
I had a look at So Energy for gas... They are expensive.. 5.79p/unit for gas compared to Shell energy at 3.33p/unit..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Shell, on their website, are not quoting for gas alone. There are few companies offering gas only. To my knowledge SoEnergy and Zog are two of the few that do.

If Shell are supplying gas at 3.33p I assume it is/was part of a dual fuel tariff that you signed up to more than 3 or 4 months ago?

Or, if it is currently being offered at that price it is part of dual fuel tariff which is being heavily cross-subsidised by a very high electricity rate.

@Op - If you switch only your Electricity away from Avro you may well be able to leave your gas with them and benefit from the lower gas price for the remainder of the fixed price period.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GTline CCS
851 Posts
Shell, on their website, are not quoting for gas alone. There are few companies offering gas only. To my knowledge SoEnergy and Zog are two of the few that do.

If Shell are supplying gas at 3.33p I assume it is/was part of a dual fuel tariff that you signed up to more than 3 or 4 months ago?

Or, if it is currently being offered at that price it is part of dual fuel tariff which is being heavily cross-subsidised by a very high electricity rate.

@Op - If you switch only your Electricity away from Avro you may well be able to leave your gas with them and benefit from the lower gas price for the remainder of the fixed price period.
It's their current dual fuel offer.. 22.4p/KW day and 10.4p/KW eco7 .. 3.33p gas..

Currently with them, till end Feb 22, paying 16p/KW day .. 10p/eco7 . 2.6p/unit gas

·
Registered
132 Posts
That Shell Econ7 dual fuel deal looks good especially if you can lock that price for 12 months with a relatively small exit penalty. If it’s ‘variable’ then i would be expecting the gas rate to rise in the weeks to come

·
Registered
132 Posts
@Arthur - I’m paying very similar prices to you for both electricity (EDF 98hrs off peak) and for Gas (So Energy). Both fuels are fixed price until Feb 22 same as yourself. What do you think you will switch to in February?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Trying to switch gas now is about a month too late. I had both gas and electricity with Octopus until a fortnight ago. I switched gas to a 2 year fix with Zog a week ago at 3.19p/kWh. The Zog price increased to 3.79p/kWh last week. There are forecasts that the wholesale price of gas will fall next year; however, some commentators suggest that any fall will be matched with green taxes.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Wholesale gas prices have risen significantly since the start of the year and most suppliers are responding, pushing up their gas prices, so I doubt you'll find any saving over your Avro tariff which was set when prices were much lower.

You can be on Octopus Go with electricity only but I don't know whether Avro will supply gas only, but I'd aim to keep the gas on the current tariff and only switch the electric, if that is possible.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GTline CCS
851 Posts
@Arthur - I’m paying very similar prices to you for both electricity (EDF 98hrs off peak) and for Gas (So Energy). Both fuels are fixed price until Feb 22 same as yourself. What do you think you will switch to in February?
Tbh I haven't a clue.. I'll keep an eye on price comparison sites, check on speakev forums etc. I'm sure however it will be an eye watering jump in price when it comes. I haven't put in smart meters yet so that may limit my choices somewhat.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had a look at So Energy for gas... They are expensive.. 5.79p/unit for gas compared to Shell energy at 3.33p/unit..
I'm currently paying 2.76p/kwh for gas on So's Carrot rate. Maybe they've risen significantly and I'll be in for a shock when it comes to renewing in March... Or I'll be looking to switch!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'm currently paying 2.76p/kwh for gas on So's Carrot rate. Maybe they've risen significantly and I'll be in for a shock when it comes to renewing in March... Or I'll be looking to switch!
Have a look at this link:

Compare the wholesale price today for gas to what it was a year ago. A lot of gas is also being used to generate electricity as there is little wind and not a lot of solar. This is putting electricity prices up.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,193 Posts
I switched to So for gas in mid August, 1 yr fixed at 3.24p/kWh. It's now 5.67p/kWh for new customers 😖

·
Registered
433 Posts
My first year with Octopus is coming to an end and unfortunately like most I use gas at home still! I am on GO for electricity. For gas:

My old 12 month fix was 2.66p/kWh + 17.85p/day
They offered 24M fix at 4.77p/kWh (+79%) & 26.59p/day (+49%) or variable at 3.32p/kWh (+25%) & 23.85p/day (+34%).

I decided to go with the variable, there is still a big difference between the two and with winter coming back soon and my rubbish house my gas use will soon be rising. Perhaps it's foolish but I am able to stomach the risk for now and will see how it goes. I do like how Octopus are doing things and would rather support them than switch if possible, I also trust them not to hike the price beyond the market rates.

Edit to add: is there a way to see the price history of a utility company's variable tariff?

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
901 Posts
How do i go about swapping just my Gas to another provider? Im going to drop onto the flexible tariff too come sept 11th :(

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
You just sign up to a supplier like Zog and it will do the rest. That said, a large number of suppliers will only offer dual fuel or just electricity tariffs. A price comparison website will allow you to select 'gas suppliers only'.

PS Why wait until September the 11th. Suppliers like Zog will allow you to choose a switch date.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts