Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of stitching to Octopus, and I see they have a few different tarrifs. Octopus Go seems to be available only if you have a smart meter, but do all their tarrifs offer the 5p 12:30-04:30 rate? This is the main reason I switched, so I'll be a bit disappointed if I have to wait for a smart meter installation before I can reap the benefits? Even after logging into my account I can't find this information?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes you need a smart meter - but be warned, this might not be a quick process. It took me 7months to get one through Octopus when I switched for the Go tariff (and it only happened because I started chasing them relentlessly after lockdown). 5 weeks on from smart meter installation, I’m still on a holding tariff (paying more than double what I should be paying on the Go tariff to charge at night), because of a fault at their end which means their website will not acknowledge my acceptance of Go’s terms and conditions. Have spoken to four staff members, sent numerous emails but am no closer to getting this sorted. This company is generally lauded for its customer service and most on here seem happy with Octopus so I guess I’ve been unlucky, but I can’t recommend them. I’d have been better off sticking with my original provider’s tariff rather than the holding tariff I’ve been stuck on since switching to Octopus in February. I’d advise you to check out other EV-centric tariffs with other providers.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
223 Posts
I'm in the process of stitching to Octopus, and I see they have a few different tarrifs. Octopus Go seems to be available only if you have a smart meter, but do all their tarrifs offer the 5p 12:30-04:30 rate? This is the main reason I switched, so I'll be a bit disappointed if I have to wait for a smart meter installation before I can reap the benefits? Even after logging into my account I can't find this information?
You need a smart meter in order to measure consumption at different rates.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Maybe you could have got your previous supplier to install you a Smes 2 smart meter before you applied to switch over to Octopus, this could have reduced your wait ?.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Octopus state that you'll need a SMETS2 (Newest generation of Smart Meter) to go onto any of their smart tariffs. I switched to Octopus anyway, as I considered it worth the wait.
After switching they contacted me to let me know they'd re-activated my dormant old smart meter. I logged into my account, and sure enough, there were my daily consumption figures. I immediately requested to move onto the "GO" tariff, and they quickly replied stating it would be live from midnight THAT night, and sure enough, it was.

I'm very impressed with Octopus, I've never said that about an energy supplier before.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Octopus installed my smart meter a week after going live with them. Brilliant! However... getting the meter setup at the backend to provide the 30min readings has been several weeks of waiting so far... TBH not that bothered as I first started trying to move from smets1 18 months ago with EDF with endless fob offs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oopsie, looks like i may have dropped the ball here then. Still, I have my solar so I'll do a main charge at the weekend when\if it's sunny. And worse case scenario, it's still well under £15 for a range equivalent to a full tank of petrol. I've registered my interest in a smart meter with Octopus so hopefully the wait won't be too long?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oopsie, looks like i may have dropped the ball here then. Still, I have my solar so I'll do a main charge at the weekend when\if it's sunny. And worse case scenario, it's still well under £15 for a range equivalent to a full tank of petrol. I've registered my interest in a smart meter with Octopus so hopefully the wait won't be too long?
Do you have a zappi charger?

I charged on the weekend on surplus solar and got about 24% over two days added

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’ve also just moved to Octopus despite having an incompatible SMETS1 meter. Be interesting to see how long it takes them to swap it.

Saving £200 on the Ohme cable and the £50 referral credit more than cancel out the higher rates anyway. The tariff they’ve put me on to start with isn’t much different to what I was on with E.On

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I switched and had a smart meter booking within a few weeks. It probably depends on your area and how busy it is?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I switched to the go tariff in March and am still waiting. OK, so COVID didn't help, but my smart meter was installed on the 1st September and I'm still waiting 28 days later for the readings to start working.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
728 Posts
I got a smart meter install slot in 3 days after i tweeted them about it. Might be worth giving it a go

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
116 Posts
Maybe you could have got your previous supplier to install you a Smes 2 smart meter before you applied to switch over to Octopus, this could have reduced your wait ?.
This is what I am in the process of doing, I applied to my supplier back in June but have no date yet!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
infact i just emailed about their failure to install the gas meter and they've given me a slot for the 12th, so certainly around here, install slots are fairly readily available.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,437 Posts
I'm currently on the list for a smart meter from my existing supplier then I will move.
Make sure they put in a Smets 2 meter --- if it is a basic smart one you'll be in the same boat as a lot of people in this thread.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts