Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd "share" my experience being an Octopus Energy Customer ... as I know there are many of you out there !

Signed up Start of 2021 to the Go Tariff, electricity Smart Meter installed April 2021 (but for some vague reason they couldn't swap the Gas meter - and still can't tell me why to this day). Noticed that they hadn't moved me to the Go Tariff, so only after prompting them in June 2021 did they realise their error (loads of email excuses), finally moved over to go July 2021, since the new meter install I've been charging my EV and using cheep 5p/Kw rate (I do alot of miles!), but then it turns out Octopus had been charging me at Premium rate. Raised this told them they owe me £££, they admitted to issue/and will be crediting me back - but no response, I've provided them with all the figures - but NOTHING !

So today - 15mins on twitter, pointing out their failings (legally, honestly and truthfully) - they then "block me" ! ... :D:D clearly rattled some cages, and shows that they really don't like "free speech" :ROFLMAO: or the world knowing about their failings!

The issue remains unresolved - Octopus refuse to provide me with a new Gas meter install date, no credit (but have admitted they do owe me something), won't provide a "deadlock letter" to enable me to progress the issue with the Utility Ombudsman ...

Become an Octopus Energy Customer - at your own risk ! (may be I should delete the referral link below!) 😁

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
FWIW, they are a company that I vowed never, ever to do any business with, after having suffered months of major problems with them, being massively over-charged, and having to waste nearly 6 months getting my money back via the regulator.

We've had some pretty dire energy suppliers in the past, and the previous worst had been British Gas. Octopus managed to beat British Gas hands down for poor service, poor communication, taking far more money from our account than the meter readings indicated and refusing to do anything when challenged about their appalling customer service. To add insult to injury, they signed every bit of communication to me off as if they were a bunch of hippies, with some sort of "love and peace" crap. last thing I needed when they owed me hundreds of pounds.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FWIW, they are a company that I vowed never, ever to do any business with, after having suffered months of major problems with them, being massively over-charged, and having to waste nearly 6 months getting my money back via the regulator.

We've had some pretty dire energy suppliers in the past, and the previous worst had been British Gas. Octopus managed to beat British Gas hands down for poor service, poor communication, taking far more money from our account than the meter readings indicated and refusing to do anything when challenged about their appalling customer service. To add insult to injury, they signed every bit of communication to me off as if they were a bunch of hippies, with some sort of "love and peace" crap. last thing I needed when they owed me hundreds of pounds.
Totally agree - couldn't fault anything you've said ... the "love and peace" crap ... I actually think it's really funny they blocked me on twitter - just because I pointed out their failings ! :D:D in a "legal / honest and un-defamatory" manor ... It speaks "volumes" of how they regard/treat customers ... attempt to block/ignore!

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
779 Posts
Twitter can be a useful way to get attention, but if you're not careful it just becomes about the squeakiest wheel getting the grease.

I had a quick look on their timeline, if you're the one I think you are, you hijacked another thread, bombed it with hashtags, didn't answer their request for more information, and have now had a reply from the CEO within an hour!

·
Registered
284 Posts

John Lydon: "Never trust a hippy."

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Twitter can be a useful way to get attention, but if you're not careful it just becomes about the squeakiest wheel getting the grease.

I had a quick look on their timeline, if you're the one I think you are, you hijacked another thread, bombed it with hashtags, didn't answer their request for more information, and have now had a reply from the CEO within an hour!

Yep - thats me - "Greg" has just replied ! lol ... :cool::cool::D:D

Octopus are well aware - the Press office, Greg's (EO office and his PA/Team) have been copied in on emails for some months now ...

I hate things like Twitter - but it has a purpose ! ... (It worked with VW and afew other "failing" Companies in the past - I do pre-warn them via email before I launch on a twitter onslaught) - lets see if Octopus want to resolve my issue now? :cool:

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
671 Posts
I have found them to be good, including discussing trial of ASHP technology and new tariffs. My tariff changes and Smets 2 upgrade all to time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have found them to be good, including discussing trial of ASHP technology and new tariffs. My tariff changes and Smets 2 upgrade all to time.
You're the lucky one ... If you wanted to see the endless email chain(s) I have - the failed appointments, lack of response, constant chasing I have to do, inaccurate billing, being over-charged, meter not being activated, no recalculation of my bill, and having to re-explain it to each agent who becomes involved (because of the high turn-over of staff at Octopus) ... etc etc ... you might see my predicament?

I think the phase with Octopus goes ... "nice people, plenty of guff/emails but no action" ! :oops: (and when point out their failings on Twitter - they block me) - is that good Customer Service?

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
The problem with customer service is that companies need to be good at it all the time. People tend to have long memories when it comes to bad experiences. I doubt that I'm alone in having a "one bitten, twice shy" approach to doing future business with a company that's behaved badly.

I can only think of one occasion when I've reversed this rule, and even then I still had strong misgivings initially. That was when buying my current car. I bought a 1989 Jaguar XJ-S in 1992, and it was the very worst car I've ever owned. I vowed then to never buy another Jaguar. Nearly 30 years later I decided to give them a second chance, and luckily found that they've managed to get their act together in the intervening decades.

I've no intention of giving Octopus a second chance for at least another couple of decades. I'd rather pay a few pounds more for electricity than do business with them.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Maybe try not being an arse and you’ll get a better response? Your tweets might be “legal, honest and truthful” but they’re hardly civil, polite or particularly actionable.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
779 Posts
Definitely agree. One bad experience with a company can sour it for a long time - even if it isn't entirely rational. (Was that one bad experience just bad luck, or was it representative?)

With utility companies, I hear all sorts of horror stories. Despite having switched my gas, electricity, broadband, phone etc dozens of times, I've only once had a bad experience, and that was due to Co-op changing their billing system. Most of the time, I've not even needed to make any contact with the supplier at all, from start to finish, and we're both happy!

I do think a lot of gas and electric complaints (not the ones in this thread) are caused by the customer not providing timely meter readings, and then not noticing that they're getting estimated bills, coupled with not understanding how the monthly DD is supposed to work, plus the opacity of the price comparison websites.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe try not being an arse and you’ll get a better response? Your tweets might be “legal, honest and truthful” but they’re hardly civil, polite or particularly actionable.
THREE MONTHS of emails with Octopus Energy (and still no answer to the outstanding issues - "I kid you not") - what would you deem acceptable ... 6 months? a year? two years?

Companies love passive customers who just take their "inaction and bad-service" ... I'm owed in-excess of £400 due to their "tariff cock-up" ... if you can afford that money - good luck to you ! :LOL::LOL:

I might be being "proactive" in getting some traction in this matter (all honest, polite and civil - just now the lack of a response queried on twitter) - at least I'm not a mug and accepting poor CS.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you’ve been engaging with them like this for the entire time I’m not surprised nobody wants to help you.
Sadly you're making some rather incorrect assumptions - everything has been very civil and polite in emails/calls (have you seen the correspondence?) ...:LOL::whistle:

When you ask your utility company (Octopus Energy) for a "deadlock" letter "Politely" - 12 times (yes 12 times !! ) ... that would enable you to take the matter to the utility ombudsman for progression/resolution, and they fail to provide it - how would you deal with matters?;)

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
My experience with Octopus was at our old house. For some reason, after we'd been with them for a couple of months (and had been giving monthly readings as requested) they increased my monthly direct debit by just under a factor of 3. I double checked our consumption, re-worked the numbers, but it seemed clear that we were being over charged. I tried to raise this with them several times, over the phone and via email. I had no response at all. In the end I sent them a recorded delivery letter, giving them 28 days to resolve the problem or I would take it to the regulator. That did get a response, a letter telling me that I had misread the meters, which was patently untrue.

I tried to swap suppliers at this point, but as Octopus had raised an issue over the meter readings being in error this turned into a complete PITA. In the end I got the regulator involved, had the meters read independently (verified that I'd been right all along) and swapped suppliers. By this time Octopus owed me several hundred pounds. To get that back I had to go through a process that took close to 6 months. One thing that process revealed was that Octopus hadn't been using the meter readings from our meters at all. The readings they had related to meter numbers that didn't tally with our address. Clearly they'd screwed up right at the start, and could have easily resolved things if they had been arsed to do even the most basic of checks (given that I'd given them the correct readings and meter numbers several times).

Getting the money out of them turned into a fiasco. They offered to give it to me as a credit on future energy bills, and refused to understand that we were no longer with them, and has switched suppliers. In the end it took an order from the regulator to get them to pay me back.

From start to finish this process took the best part of a year and wasted many, many hours of my time. I also had no compensation at all for them having held on to my money for all that time, neither did I receive any form of apology from them for their behaviour.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From start to finish this process took the best part of a year and wasted many, many hours of my time. I also had no compensation at all for them having held on to my money for all that time, neither did I receive any form of apology from them for their behaviour.
Wow / Sorry to hear - they really are "bad then" (a year!) :oops: ... I've been very nice and patient, responding to every "new" agent who emails me in return to each of my "chasing emails" ... Octopus seam to have a very high-turn over of staff, because each new person who has been engaged in dealing with account, tells me the last person is no longer with the company. I then have to re-explain it, and each time a new "excuse gets given", they promise me credits to make up for my time (but they've not been applied to my account), they can't explain issues with failed appointments, they provide a date, and then cancel it 2 days later (this has now happened on three occasions), they can't even provide a new appointment date currently (for the gas smart meter install), or explain why it couldn't take place at the same time as the original Electricity smart meter install. The Electricity meter wasn't activated and took me three attempts (of keeping emailing them asking why?), then after three calls (over 2 hours), endless emails - they get the meter activated (admitting their issue), they then have admitted to not putting me onto the "go tariff" when the meter activation took place (despite the original request, and selling me a discounted Ohme EV charger), they've admitted they owe me a credit but haven't responded to my calculations, or presented any of their own (it's in excess of £400-£500) ! - So loads of admissions of fault, but no action !

In the realisation that Octopus don't seam to be able to manage my account, I want to take the matter to the Utility Ombudsman, but to get to this stage Octopus Energy need to provide a Deadlock letter (I've asked for this nicely 12 times) but they won't provide it / just ignore the request !

I've been polite, patient and have "played the game until now" of email ping-pong ... but how long does a customer keep doing this? ... :rolleyes: I don't want to be in your situation over a year later ! ... I want to resolve the matter so I can move supplier, to one that has a more competent CS team !

·
Registered
284 Posts
...I want to take the matter to the Utility Ombudsman, but to get to this stage Octopus Energy need to provide a Deadlock letter (I've asked for this nicely 12 times) but they won't provide it / just ignore the request !
"5. Escalating the complaint to us.

If you’ve received a deadlock letter, or if you’ve still not resolved the issue after eight weeks, you can bring your complaint to us."
[my emphasis]

Source: The Complaints Process

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,662 Posts
I moved to Octopus in November 2020, Smart meters are due to be installed within a couple of weeks. The engineer came and did the electricity so I was able to move to the Go tariff. He could not do the gas as I was on a medium pressure supply (yellow handled shut off valve, orange on standard pressure) as he wasn't qualified. He said he would get another appointment made. Roll on several months and nothing so I tweeted Octopus, very helpful and another appointment was made to install the gas smart meter. Covid comes and this installation was postponed by the installers due to Covid. Appoint was rescheduled to today and two days ago a call from the installer to cancel it due to the engineer allocated not being qualified to work on a medium pressure supply. I don't know how much this is down to Octopus not passing on the type of meter or the installer not recording it from the initial visit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"5. Escalating the complaint to us.

If you’ve received a deadlock letter, or if you’ve still not resolved the issue after eight weeks, you can bring your complaint to us."
[my emphasis]

Source: The Complaints Process
Thank you :rolleyes:(y) Still no resolution (or even a reply from Octopus) ...

so 8 weeks it is ! ... 😙

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Thank you :rolleyes:(y) Still no resolution (or even a reply from Octopus) ...

so 8 weeks it is ! ... 😙
That fits with the process I went through. I think it was probably at least three months between the first contact I had with Octopus, trying to get the DD fixed, to the point where I decide to try and switch suppliers, and found I couldn't, because of the apparent meter reading error. It was at that point that I first got the regulator involved, initially over the billing dispute resulting from meter readings being in error.

TBH, I didn't know about the deadlock letter, but had an audit trail of the dates and times of phone calls, emails and the recorded delivery letter and its reply. Because this was over the 8 weeks is probably why I didn't have any issues with the regulator, other than having two open cases with them (caused some confusion) one regarding the meter readings and over-charging, the later one being to try and get my money back from Octopus.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts