Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2109 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in swapping to the new EV specific octopus energy GO tariff anyone on this tariff is it any good? Opinions please. I did email them and asked for details but they never replied I have just changed to Bulb but the 5p kWh for 4 hours is tempting on octopus.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I cannot find details yet. It seems you need a Zapi charger to select when the vehicle is charged. The normal octopus website does not mention this tarrif although they have plenty.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It is hard to get information out of them. I’ve just switched and have a smart meter installation booked for mid-August. Overnight 5p tariff is 12-4am. Rest of the day is 13.8p, standing charge 25p. Although I think there may be a pending price rise. We’ve got two EVs so should work well for us.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
My concern would be trying to fit charging an EV into the 4 hour slot. Fine for an older one most of the time, but I'd be dubious about anything with a 40kWh battery and above. Plus any pre-conditioning - and I did a lot last winter - would be into peak tariff time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've switched to the standard tariff pending a smart meter install on 25 July. So I'll let you know how I get on after that, for me 24 kw of juice (or 80% of the Soul's battery capacity) for £1.20 is a bit of a no brainier. The standing charge and standard rate were in line with my old supplier, and while not the most competitive in the market was an all round good deal for a 100% renewable supply. There should be no need for a Zappi as long as your EV has the ability to set charge times.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a new leaf 40 and i have tested the charge timer and it works well 4 hours is enough for me as I charge at work for free (but only using the granny) so a top up at night is all I need. Did anyone swap there gas aswel?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Another question do they fit the new second gen smart meters or are they fobing people off with old stock 1st gen that you can't swap suppliers.?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Another question do they fit the new second gen smart meters or are they fobing people off with old stock 1st gen that you can't swap supplier's.?
Yes, SMETS1 - had mine installed yesterday. As I am not paying and can walk away any time, I am not hugely bothered.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Yes, SMETS1 - had mine installed yesterday. As I am not paying and can walk away any time, I am not hugely bothered.
If the energy providers were paying it wouldn't be quite so bad, but we all end up paying for the extra expense in increased tariffs in the end, plus the waste involved in making and fitting a meter that is obsolete before it's even been fitted.
I'm not have another one fitted until I know it will work with the next supplier as well.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I have been with Octopus for some time. Good customer service and happy with pricing. They told me to wait until second gen meters as I have solar. Haven't been offered the new EV tariff yet though.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Do you know how the meters and car timer manage with daylight saving time? I have my Leaf timed to come on at midnight as I'm not convinced they will both behave come the clock change, but that still gives me six hours on the cheap rate.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Nobody is installing SMETS2 meters yet; they were meant to be coming in October, but I gather that date is looking unlikely now.

This is a bit sad but we've just moved out of a house with smart meters to one without and I'm feeling a bit lost having very little idea how much energy we're using with what...

·
Registered
207 Posts
My concern would be trying to fit charging an EV into the 4 hour slot. Fine for an older one most of the time, but I'd be dubious about anything with a 40kWh battery and above. Plus any pre-conditioning - and I did a lot last winter - would be into peak tariff time.
Surely the size of your battery is irrelevant. More relevant is how many miles you do a day. 4 hours gives you 48 miles at 3.3 kw and close to 100 miles at 6kw. There isn’t a peak rate, rather a standard rate, so winter preconditioning is not a dealbreaker.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have been with Octopus for some time. Good customer service and happy with pricing. They told me to wait until second gen meters as I have solar. Haven't been offered the new EV tariff yet though.
I have solar and they were fine with that. The meter records export (negative on the display) but Octopus don't care - they don't do FiT and as I get "deemed" export payments at 50% anyway, it matters not.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was waiting for the next gen meters but I might as well go for it as I could be waiting forever at this rate.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,682 Posts
7kW x 4 hours = 28kWh (call it 25kWh usable).
25kWh at 4mi/kWh = 100 miles

... 100 miles a day .. that's a heck of a lot more than most people do. 25000 miles a year for weekday driving alone.

That's 36,500 miles a year. Call it 30,000 miles for sub 4mi/kWh in winter. Lots and lots of miles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agreed I do 100 a day to work and back but charge at work so the most I need is 50 and I don't even bother to change every night just another form of range anxiety can't see many actually needing more than 4hrs a night.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
7kW x 4 hours = 28kWh (call it 25kWh usable).
25kWh at 4mi/kWh = 100 miles

... 100 miles a day .. that's a heck of a lot more than most people do. 25000 miles a year for weekday driving alone.

That's 36,500 miles a year. Call it 30,000 miles for sub 4mi/kWh in winter. Lots and lots of miles.
On paper, yes. In practice my ZOE 22kWh used to take 5 hours to charge and yet I might only get 60 miles range in the winter. Most days I used to do 60-70 miles per day so it could be a real issue - but fortunately not for the OP.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I've switched to the standard tariff pending a smart meter install on 25 July. So I'll let you know how I get on after that, for me 24 kw of juice (or 80% of the Soul's battery capacity) for £1.20 is a bit of a no brainier. The standing charge and standard rate were in line with my old supplier, and while not the most competitive in the market was an all round good deal for a 100% renewable supply. There should be no need for a Zappi as long as your EV has the ability to set charge times.
This is only available from Zapi. The 4 hours are not fixed but selected on market prices so not necessaily 4 continuous hours.

Edit Sorry I am completely wrong about this. I only read the Zapi stuff and could not find anything from Octopus.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is this fact? the info on there site states you don't need a zappi obviously if your car doesn't have the timer facility the charger would need to control the charge time at the right time then a zappi would be needed to automate the process I think the four hours are going to be fixed because peak usage time is evening up to midnight that doesn't leave much time to squeeze in 4hours before morning peak again. Surely the quietest usage time is 12 till 4am therefore the cheapest time.

1 - 20 of 2109 Posts