Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1981 - 2000 of 2104 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Fortunately, with all such billing issues, it is always possible to go back to basics as the data over the start reading and end reading of a meter is always there so that the total kWh drawn is always known and capable of being billed. And as long as the split of day/night readings is also there it will always be possible to reconstruct a correct invoice. Then the new calculated cost, and payments made, can be used to produce a net debit or credit position. It's just a slow manual process.
Even more time consuming on an Agile tariff. My SMETS2 meter has been configured 30 minutes out:unsure:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Even more time consuming on an Agile tariff. My SMETS2 meter has been configured 30 minutes out:unsure:
I think they're slowing fixing these anomalies. I received this email from them yesterday...

"Our system picked up a config mistake on your smart meter which resulted in an incorrect bill calculation since your meter was installed.

The issue caused your smart meter data to be shifted by 30 minutes which meant that your Go period of 00:30 to 04:30 billed half an hour out of sync.
(Just to be clear our standard Go remains 00.30 to 04.30).

We’ve fixed things and will send you an amended statement over the next few days - the error has only meant things are a few ££ out."

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I think they're slowing fixing these anomalies. I received this email from them yesterday...

"Our system picked up a config mistake on your smart meter which resulted in an incorrect bill calculation since your meter was installed.

The issue caused your smart meter data to be shifted by 30 minutes which meant that your Go period of 00:30 to 04:30 billed half an hour out of sync.

We’ve fixed things and will send you an amended statement over the next few days - the error has only meant things are a few ££ out."

You are absolutely right. This SMETS2 business is clearly proving to be more complicated than we were all led to believe. I am told that part of the problem is the layered security which only allows suppliers to see certain bits of the jigsaw whereas with SMETS 1 the supplier takes ownership of the whole puzzle.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

Yep. Same here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had my new meter installed yesterday. New meter serial showing on my dashboard on my account. Whats the typical time Octopus take to make the Go tarrif live after installation please? (website says 7 days - just wondering if its any sooner or later based on experience).

·
Registered
103 Posts
So I got another bill at the weekend just for electricity. With credits of everything charged since mid September, and recharged back in a new “correct” bill.

The half hourly time slots are there - and show the correct usage per half hour time slot.

I converted the pdf in to a word document, then copied the table with the time slots in to excel.

Did a bit of neatening up and hey presto - I have half hourly kw’age use from the bill

Out of 494kws which I’ve been charged, 120 are charged at night (off peak) and 374 at day rate (peak).

I filtered the excel spreadsheet to show just night (0030-0430) time slot usage and the actual amount used at night is 469kws and day 25kws - which obviously makes a difference to the amount billed (quite a significant difference given the whole billed amount).

So I sent this back to them, which they gratefully received, and said that the new bill is still wrong - lol....

How difficult can this be?

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know how long it should take Octopus to get a Smart Meter installed? Despite repeated contact to Octopus I'm getting nowhere. Been almost two months since the switch and no sign or date for an install. This is the worst electric company I have had to deal with by a country mile.

·
jim5452
16 Posts
It took octopus exactly 28 days to put the smart meter in, and another 28 days to connect it, so now I am waiting for the "green" tick on the web site indicating that they have reading every 1/2 hour, then it is supposed to take 7 days to change over to GO.
How accurate are the IHD's I seem to be using a disproportionate amount of energy, I definitely need GO as quick as possible

·
Registered
14 Posts
It took octopus exactly 28 days to put the smart meter in, and another 28 days to connect it, so now I am waiting for the "green" tick on the web site indicating that they have reading every 1/2 hour, then it is supposed to take 7 days to change over to GO.
How accurate are the IHD's I seem to be using a disproportionate amount of energy, I definitely need GO as quick as possible
That sort of time scale for the install seems reasonable, but 28 days for the connect and still not working properly. On that basis best case scenario for me sounds like over 3 months from signup even if they get there act in to gear now which I somewhat doubt, If anyone is considering Octopus I'd have to say DONT!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Switched to Octopus 11 August. Took until 26 Sept (46 days) to get smart meters. Then up until 16 Oct (20 days) to switch to new tariff - in theory. Then series of cock ups on bills and incorrect splits of day units/night units. Still not sorted after 5 weeks. I have no idea how they get their rave ratings on various review web sites. A lot of the comments look to be new users and link comments to the £100 bonus they get for new referrals - look at the one star score comments and you get a broader view of issues. As in previous posts I dont think their I.T and operations departments are sorted having gobbled up a series of other companies. Reality does not match their marketing and hype.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just started with octopus go, 2 days ago, have tried to charge my car (i3) starting at 00.30, first time I put my tariff into my 'smart' charger, 2nd time, today, I put times into my car also. But both times it started charging at midnight, half hour too early. So could someone please tell me how to make it start at 12.30 am. I'm sure I have read it somewhere, but can't find it. Tia.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I've been with them for a month now. I already had a Secure smart meter so should have been a quick switch to Go. It took 3 weeks and lots of chasing for them to even get the readings from my meter switched over but they said they are having communications problems with the meter so can't get the readings. I chased again yesterday and had a phone call late this afternoon to say they are going to have to fit a new meter, SMETTS 2, on the 6th December.
If there was another company offering 5p overnight rate I would switch again. The billing issues I read about on here make me wonder if it will be worth the effort. The trouble is everything else I see that I can get on is much more expensive overnight, and thats when we use most of the units

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Just started with octopus go, 2 days ago, have tried to charge my car (i3) starting at 00.30, first time I put my tariff into my 'smart' charger, 2nd time, today, I put times into my car also. But both times it started charging at midnight, half hour too early. So could someone please tell me how to make it start at 12.30 am. I'm sure I have read it somewhere, but can't find it. Tia.
Talk to the smart meter team at Octopus. I suspect that your meter has been configured wrongly ( as mine was); ie, 30 minutes out. There was a comment on another forum which suggested that Octopus has identified the small number of customers that have this issue and that they are in the process of re-billing them. A simple way to check is to download usage via the Octopus API on your account page.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Considering making the jump to Octopus GO EV.

I don't currently have a smart meter just a dual rate Economy7 meter.

If I were to make the jump how long would it normally take to get a SMETS2 installed so I could benefit from GO EV? Has anyone any experience here?

And would Octopus drag their heels through the process or are they likely to be helpful?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Talk to the smart meter team at Octopus. I suspect that your meter has been configured wrongly ( as mine was); ie, 30 minutes out. There was a comment on another forum which suggested that Octopus has identified the small number of customers that have this issue and that they are in the process of re-billing them. A simple way to check is to download usage via the Octopus API on your account page.
Thanks for the info, mine seems to be out as well. Having recently switched to Go tariff I thought it was an API problem rather than billing one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Considering making the jump to Octopus GO EV.

I don't currently have a smart meter just a dual rate Economy7 meter.

If I were to make the jump how long would it normally take to get a SMETS2 installed so I could benefit from GO EV? Has anyone any experience here?

And would Octopus drag their heels through the process or are they likely to be helpful?

Thanks
People's experience and waiting times seem to vary. I had a difficult meter install (required a SKU 2 comms unit) but they got there in the end. Once you switch to Octopus, you then apply for Go which triggers the meter install.

Whereabouts in the country are you? If you are in the south then you stand a much better chance of a speedier install...

Lots of info here https://octopus.energy/blog/go-faqs/

·
Registered
779 Posts
@methley North - near Leeds so that's not great. Currently my supplier, Yorkshire Energy, is dragging their heels over a smart meter.
I don't want to switch to a more expensive tariff and find that the smart meter install is then going to take 6+ months to get sorted.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Mine was booked yesterday for the 6th Dec but I've been chasing them about reading my current smart meter for 3 weeks and I'm in East Anglia.
I get the impression they are very busy so sorting problems is taking a while. The CS staff are very helpful and doing what they can to help but the smart meter installs are taking a while.
If you get a few referrals it will help with the extra cost of the higher tariff, or that's how I'm looking at it. £50 for joining with a referral helps but if you use a lot of units for charging the car I'd probably wait if I was on a reasonable tariff at the moment.

1981 - 2000 of 2104 Posts