·
Registered
4,414 Posts
14 SEPT switched
17 OCT meter fitted
19 NOV meter conected to Green tariff
21 NOV half hour reading completed
21 NOV. midnight GO becomes live
So the meter being fitted didn't take any longer than the wait for Octopus receive the readings from the meter.

I assume that's SMETTS 2?

Are you in the North or South?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Smets2 installed mid August. Still not working. on first name terms with directors. Each email has 5-10 day turnaround. Currently following OFGENS complaint procedure.

M

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’ve been told they won’t fit a SMETS1 gas meter with my SMETS1 electric meter that was installed in September and I have to wait until they replace it with a SMETS2. I can live with manual gas readings as long as I am still on the Go tariff

·
Registered
125 Posts
SMETS 2
North East England
Octopus GO
Joined Sep.19
Meters ordered Oct 20th
Meters installed Nov 5th
Transferred to GO Nov 12th

I charge a 12kw battery & EV in the 4hours overnight and that runs the house during the day. In the summer the surplus charges the batteries during the day. The battery system has Time of Use so I can adjust the battery SOC based on time of year to maximise solar use and minimise grid. Zappie and Eddi to divert surplus after battery charging to car and hot water!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’ve been told they won’t fit a SMETS1 gas meter with my SMETS1 electric meter that was installed in September and I have to wait until they replace it with a SMETS2. I can live with manual gas readings as long as I am still on the Go tariff
Are you on separate Gas and Electric suppliers? I was in that position and as Octopus only supplied the Electricity they only did the Electric meter, I solved it by switching the Gas to Octopus and they installed a SMETS1 gas.

SMETS1 Gas and Electricity meters need to be compatible with each other so that Gas comms can go via the Electric - so basically same make, SMETS2 meters can be mixed and matched.

My understanding is that when the SMETS1 are added to the DCC this will change the routing of the comms, it will not upgrade the meters to SMETS2 - so you will need to get a compatible SMETS1 gas meter fitted, or both meters changed to SMETS2 - Crazy!

Also fitting a SMETS1 meter no longer counts towards Octopus's targets for smart meter rollout.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I might jump in soon as I plan to order an EV over Xmas.
The monthly smart meter begging letter from my current supplier (E.On) finally mentions SMETS2 (N Wales).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are you on separate Gas and Electric suppliers? I was in that position and as Octopus only supplied the Electricity they only did the Electric meter, I solved it by switching the Gas to Octopus and they installed a SMETS1 gas.

SMETS1 Gas and Electricity meters need to be compatible with each other so that Gas comms can go via the Electric - so basically same make, SMETS2 meters can be mixed and matched.

My understanding is that when the SMETS1 are added to the DCC this will change the routing of the comms, it will not upgrade the meters to SMETS2 - so you will need to get a compatible SMETS1 gas meter fitted, or both meters changed to SMETS2 - Crazy!

Also fitting a SMETS1 meter no longer counts towards Octopus's targets for smart meter rollout.
I’m on Octopus for both. Had SMETS1 meters from British Gas when I switched and said I would take a SMETS1 Octopus meter to speed things up. The engineer turned up and said they had no gas meters in stock and would one back a few weeks later to sort it. I emailed Octopus 5-6 weeks later and they have said they won’t fit any SMETS1 gas meters and they would at some point come back to change them both to SMETS2

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,470 Posts
I’m on Octopus for both. Had SMETS1 meters from British Gas when I switched and said I would take a SMETS1 Octopus meter to speed things up. The engineer turned up and said they had no gas meters in stock and would one back a few weeks later to sort it. I emailed Octopus 5-6 weeks later and they have said they won’t fit any SMETS1 gas meters and they would at some point come back to change them both to SMETS2
Limited benefits to a smart gas meter, apart from no need for meter readings every (x) months..

If all is working now, I'd be tempted to keep the 'dumb' gas meter and the SMETS1 electricity. (This is my setup now).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Signed up to octopus 30 Aug, smets2 meters fitted 21 Oct, still waiting to get connected to go no tick on the website yet. Emailing every week and waiting on information from meter supplier to be able to progress this for me. Very frustrating...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Switched to Go in August. SMETS2's installed at end of Sept. Then had to wait till mid October for switch to proper tariff. Then bit of a mess as they could not split bill into day and night - multiple bills/multiple refunds. Finally got bill this week (20/11) that appears correct but looks like calculated manually at their end as does not split bill into day units and night units - just an "average rate" of approx 9p kw. Have kept spreadheet tabs on them (using their own figures off their web site strangely enough) so agree numbers are near enough there. Looks like they have still got software/IT issues for some users.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I find the half-hourly reads quite useful. Shows exactly when the boiler has been running....

View attachment 124940
But as I have posted before, it is wrong. I use more than 4kWhs a day just to heat my hot water. Also, from time-to-time, the usage shown on the graph has been as high as 55,000kWhs used in a single hour. If the usage was accurate, my boiler should be well on its way to Mars.

·
Registered
102 Posts
But as I have posted before, it is wrong. I use more than 4kWhs a day just to heat my hot water. Also, from time-to-time, the usage shown on the graph has been as high as 55,000kWhs used in a single hour. If the usage was accurate, my boiler should be well on its way to Mars.
The units should be cubic metres but other than that, mine works out exactly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I spoke to Octopus re Go tarriff.
Customer Services were very poor, to the extent of being unhelpful.
But worse still, I could clearly hear other conversations, compromising their own privacy policy.
I'd never switch to them.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just debating whether to switch to Octopus Go/Agile as will be getting a Powerwall2 and Zappi installed in Dec in readiness for a Tesla M3P, but see many who have switched have waited many weeks/months to get onto the new tariff. Octopus Agile looks like my preferred solution.

Anybody in North Oxfordshire who has recently switched and if so how long did it take to get it all sorted?

I am currently trying to figure out if it is worth staying with our current low cost energy provider until next spring as our Solar PV system is most likley to offset any delays in switching by using free generation daytime and timeshift with battery, whereas swicthing now (winter months) means its all imported from the grid.

I have a 4 year old smets1 unit originally fitted by EDF, which will need replacing for smets2.
I also looked at EDF EV offering but it looks less compelling and again looks like they are swamped with switching requests.

The EV will only be topped up at home infrequently as we will have free charging elsewhere.

You thoughts and comments appreciated.

2001 - 2020 of 2096 Posts