Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

2021 - 2040 of 2096 Posts

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,470 Posts
Just debating whether to switch to Octopus Go/Agile as will be getting a Powerwall2 and Zappi installed in Dec in readiness for a Tesla M3P, but see many who have switched have waited many weeks/months to get onto the new tariff. Octopus Agile looks like my preferred solution.

Anybody in North Oxfordshire who has recently switched and if so how long did it take to get it all sorted?

I am currently trying to figure out if it is worth staying with our current low cost energy provider until next spring as our Solar PV system is most likley to offset any delays in switching by using free generation daytime and timeshift with battery, whereas swicthing now (winter months) means its all imported from the grid.

I have a 4 year old smets1 unit originally fitted by EDF, which will need replacing for smets2.
I also looked at EDF EV offering but it looks less compelling and again looks like they are swamped with switching requests.

The EV will only be topped up at home infrequently as we will have free charging elsewhere.

You thoughts and comments appreciated.
Worth a look at this?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Another month has passed and, for the fifth time, no system generated statement or electricity charges. I suspect that the issue is a missing day’s electricity data in late October. Yet another email sent off asking for human intervention in the billing process.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Worth a look at this?

Looked at that but seems it must only be available in a very small zone and it doesn’t indicate what that is.

Edit update. Had tried my postcode and some others where we have lived previously none of which worked.
just tried again and again failed. Tried my sons postcode and
lo and behold says Swindon is good. Retried my own postcode and now that works, so need to investigate this option also now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Last electricity bill I received was a one day electricity bill for the 31st August. The current day/night readings off the meter look reasonable and I've adjusted my DD to match my calculations of what I owe so happy to wait for a bill.

Remember that a supplier should not backdate bills by more than 12 months.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm actually in Milton Keynes. I went with Octopus Go. The switch was quick and painless and they're happy with my (Secure) Smets1 meter. Having said that, they haven't actually billed me for electricity yet, they had a few issues reading the meter! I quite like the 'cheap rate' early morning slot and do my washing, etc., at that time as well as charge the car.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Another month has passed and, for the fifth time, no system generated statement or electricity charges. I suspect that the issue is a missing day’s electricity data in late October. Yet another email sent off asking for human intervention in the billing process.
My daughter transferred to Octopus Go in the July. She has yet to get a bill from them as they are unable to determine the actual useage for both ethe cheap rate and normal rate. I believe they have been told that a manual calculation is required and they have a massive backlog of such calculations to do!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
My daughter transferred to Octopus Go in the July. She has yet to get a bill from them as they are unable to determine the actual useage for both ethe cheap rate and normal rate. I believe they have been told that a manual calculation is required and they have a massive backlog of such calculations to do!
It is not that simple - unfortunately. I am on AGILE not GO so my unit prices change every 30 minutes. Octopus has told me that occasionally they fail to receive a day‘s usage data from the DCC (SMETS2) for a small number of their customer accounts. This acts as a billing system roadblock. I was told that c.5% of all SMETS2 meters (across all suppliers) have similar issues.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It is not that simple - unfortunately. I am on AGILE not GO so my unit prices change every 30 minutes. Octopus has told me that occasionally they fail to receive a day‘s usage data from the DCC (SMETS2) for a small number of their customer accounts. This acts as a billing system roadblock. I was told that c.5% of all SMETS2 meters (across all suppliers) have similar issues.
That does seem to be the issue, the technology has to work flawlessly and its not actually 100% yet. The warning on the signup page can kinda not be noticed as it’s not a separate window in the process, with an accept this info button.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I suspect that all the calculations on AGILE are done at the receiving end based on the half hour readings, this is how GO used to work on my SMETS1 meter where I was billed an average price depending on my day/night split.

This all stopped when they switched my meter to a day/night rate. I can see the advantages in why they did that -
  • No need for them to calculate an average rate - just use the difference in the day/night meter readings from the previous bill and charge for the units used.
  • The IHD can display the actual price for GO as it shows the rates ( I suspect an AGILE IHD will never show cost as they would have to update every AGILE meter overnight with new rates ).
  • If they missed a day from the DCC ( not applicable as my SMETS1 is still direct AFAIK ) then the day/night readings for the next day could still be used to generate a bill - so no roadblock.
But since the day/night rate switch, after a couple of bills for an odd number of days, my Electricity billing has stopped. Gas billing is fine but no half hour usage graphs included on the bill but available on the dashboard.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Just debating whether to switch to Octopus Go/Agile as will be getting a Powerwall2 and Zappi installed in Dec in readiness for a Tesla M3P, but see many who have switched have waited many weeks/months to get onto the new tariff. Octopus Agile looks like my preferred solution.

Anybody in North Oxfordshire who has recently switched and if so how long did it take to get it all sorted?

I am currently trying to figure out if it is worth staying with our current low cost energy provider until next spring as our Solar PV system is most likley to offset any delays in switching by using free generation daytime and timeshift with battery, whereas swicthing now (winter months) means its all imported from the grid.

I have a 4 year old smets1 unit originally fitted by EDF, which will need replacing for smets2.
I also looked at EDF EV offering but it looks less compelling and again looks like they are swamped with switching requests.

The EV will only be topped up at home infrequently as we will have free charging elsewhere.

You thoughts and comments appreciated.
SMETS2 isn't essential for Agile. Octopus, apparently despairing of SMETS2 in my neck of the woods, recently replaced my previous SMETS1 meter with one they could read, and I moved to Agile within a couple of weeks.

The downside, BTW, seems to be that Agile pricing is significantly higher in winter weather.

·
Registered
790 Posts
SMETS2 isn't essential for Agile. Octopus, apparently despairing of SMETS2 in my neck of the woods, recently replaced my previous SMETS1 meter with one they could read, and I moved to Agile within a couple of weeks.

The downside, BTW, seems to be that Agile pricing is significantly higher in winter weather.
What neck of the woods are you in?

Understand the smets1 vs smets2 issues and in truth I think a lot more needs to be done to improve GPS signals in many areas for this technology to become stable.

Currently looks like I will stick with my current low cost supplier till the spring as it looks like worst case we would use an extra 7kWh each day and over 3months that would be max £50 which is probably no different switching to Octopus other tariffs, in fact it’s probably cheaper.

And yes I am sure agile must reflect winter wholesale prices being higher in winter months, but still looks like overnight it’s cheaper than other deals available.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
What neck of the woods are you in?

Understand the smets1 vs smets2 issues and in truth I think a lot more needs to be done to improve GPS signals in many areas for this technology to become stable.

Currently looks like I will stick with my current low cost supplier till the spring as it looks like worst case we would use an extra 7kWh each day and over 3months that would be max £50 which is probably no different switching to Octopus other tariffs, in fact it’s probably cheaper.

And yes I am sure agile must reflect winter wholesale prices being higher in winter months, but still looks like overnight it’s cheaper than other deals available.
Octopus is still deploying SMETS1; however, these don’t count towards their smart meter rollout target. Unlike SMETS1, SMETS2 doesn’t necessarily require a mobile signal if there are other SMETS2 meters nearby. These meters establish a WAN and provided one of the meters can ‘talk’ to the DCC then data for all the meters will be sent. The WAN is not supplier dependent.

My meter is happily transmitting data; however, the issue is the data transfer from the DCC to Octopus. I am told that there are numerous parties involved and the security hierarchy only allows the supplier to view bits of the jigsaw. There seems not to be a method to get missing data retransmitted from the DCC. Clearly, SMETS1 meters do not have this added layer of complexity but they not as secure as their SMETS2 counterparts.

I should also add that Octopus has also had some issues with incorrect billing - both for Go and Agile. I was advised a few weeks ago that my bills are wrong and they will be re-issued.

Finally, it is true that my average unit cost under Agile has increased since the clocks went back. It is difficult to tell whether this is down to greater usage over the expensive peak period (ie; more use of lighting) or because of higher average 30 minute costs.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Worth a look at this?

The Tesla plan looks interesting with a couple of caveats for me as already have FIT 50% export payments and it also needs to defeat the smart charging of Zappi, but it may also be worth waiting till next year as more options are likely to be available ahead of March 2020.
Currently planning to stay with current low cost provider as over winter it makes more sense to wait till Spring as it looks like Octopus (or smets2 installers) are likely to take many weeks if not months to get switched to Go/Agile and the cost of being on a basic service is higher than what I am currently paying. With more Solar generation in Spring, that looks like the time to start the switch.

This link also gives a good overview of the Tesla plan...

·
Registered
790 Posts
I though I heard something about this before - go to 09:30 on this video.
Think it’s the plan requirements and the way it works import/export and the smart algorithms for this plan.

FAQ says...
What happens if I already have another electric vehicle charger installed, do I still need to have a Tesla wall connector?
No. You will need to disable any smart charging features on your charger if it has those capabilities. This will allow you to use your existing charger for the Tesla Energy Plan.

Looks a good deal for new installs.
What are the details of the tariff?
Tesla Energy Plan is a simple, transparent tariff with the best rates available on the market.
  • No daily standing charge on your bill.
  • Flat import rate of £0.08/kWh - the lowest flat tariff available in the market (as of September 2019).
  • Flat export rate of £0.08/kWh for any electricity you export

·
Registered
85 Posts
I said I would keep you posted with my SMETS meter installatio. Franco has now been back in touch to advise they are unable to fit a Smart meter due to the space restriction.
this is rather disappointing as I sent him all the measurements before I signed up with Octopus!
The problem is the restricted space between the incoming supply fuseway and the DB. I cannot raise the DB without wrecking the house, the cabling yo upstairs is in conduits buried within the structure of the wall. I did think an Aclara meter would fit using the dimensions on their website, however the hub which attaches to t(e top of themeter is quite bulky.
Franco has suggested contacting the power company to have the fuseway lowered, an easy enough job but Norther Powergrid prices START at £445 + VAT!!!! Can’t see me being able to recover that cost through cheap overnight charging.
i have emailed Aclara to see if a remote hub is available. Fingers crossed!
Well Aclara have been no help, referring me back to my supplier.
I have emailed Franco again, asking if he can arrange a flying lead so that the hub can be mounted remotely. I am awaiting a reply. Franco did state he would get a Smart meter to fit, I just hope he is able to keep to his word.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Interesting post on the Bulb forum from Chameleon Technology. I see this issue quite regularly on my Octopus IHD. No Wi-Fi option on my IHD however....

Hello, I’m writing from Chameleon Technology, the company that manufactures the In-Home Displays (IHDs) that Bulb supply when they install your smart meter. We’ve been working closely with Bulb to develop an update for your IHD to fix the recent issue some members are having, when their IHD intermittently shows ‘waiting for data’ instead of displaying their electricity usage constantly. If you connect your IHD to Wi-Fi, you’ll receive this fix automatically over the next few weeks. Here’s how…

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very interesting. I have that Wi-Fi signal on my IHD - but I don’t have any Wi-Fi options in the menu.

I thought it showed the strength of signal between the actual meter and the IHD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2021 - 2040 of 2096 Posts