Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

2041 - 2060 of 2096 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
;
Very interesting. I have that Wi-Fi signal on my IHD - but I don’t have any Wi-Fi options in the menu.

I thought it showed the strength of signal between the actual meter and the IHD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likewise - the Chameleon IHD supplied with my SMETS2 meters has no WiFi option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone else waiting for the switch to Go? I appreciate this is an industry wide issue not exclusive to Octopus but we were told initially we would switch over to Go from the interim tariff after our meter was installed once they were receiving our meter readings. One week later we were told it would be another week. Today I have been told it will be another two weeks.

I appreciate its not a huge cost but we are currently paying more for electricity than we were with our previous supplier while we wait to live on Go. Has anybody had any good will credit from Octopus for the delays?

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Anyone else waiting for the switch to Go? I appreciate this is an industry wide issue not exclusive to Octopus but we were told initially we would switch over to Go from the interim tariff after our meter was installed once they were receiving our meter readings. One week later we were told it would be another week. Today I have been told it will be another two weeks.

I appreciate its not a huge cost but we are currently paying more for electricity than we were with our previous supplier while we wait to live on Go. Has anybody had any good will credit from Octopus for the delays?
I expected a quick switch as I already had a secure smetts1 meter but after a month or so they still couldn't read it so have booked for me to have a smetts2 meter installed.

It's been at least 6 weeks since I switched and the new meter will be installed on Friday but I'm half expecting it to take a few more weeks before they start to get the readings through the system.

I've been chasing it via email from about 10 days in. If I hadn't I imagine it would be taking much longer.
I've been contact with the same lady all the way through but have had to wait a long while for a response from her at times.
I have finally had an email today to say they will switch me to a standard E7 tariff with manual readings, which they don't normally do apparently, so I can charge at 8-9p a unit instead of 15p.
She had mentioned compensation earlier on but I've yet to press them on this. It depends on how much I can put onto the E7 tariff or if that only starts now and the last 6-7 weeks is all at 15p.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Over 3 and a half weeks now since my SMETS2 smart meters were installed and no progress at all has happened, I am still on the standard Octopus tariff.

I've emailed and messaged them several times about this. It's very frustrating how slow they are to get you switched over to Octopus Go.

How long does it normally take between installation and the switch to GO?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Over 3 and a half weeks now since my SMETS2 smart meters were installed and no progress at all has happened, I am still on the standard Octopus tariff.

I've emailed and messaged them several times about this. It's very frustrating how slow they are to get you switched over to Octopus Go.

How long does it normally take between installation and the switch to GO?
There are a number of agencies involved in SMETS2 metering with the DCC as the key player. It took Octopus nearly 6 weeks to set up my online account; test 30 minute metering etc before I could switch to go. SMETS1 is faster as the DCC is not involved.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There are a number of agencies involved in SMETS2 metering with the DCC as the key player. It took Octopus nearly 6 weeks to set up my online account; test 30 minute metering etc before I could switch to go. SMETS1 is faster as the DCC is not involved.
You're telling me I could be stuck on this tariff for a further 2 and half weeks?

Still Octopus' customer service has been very poor, I just emailed them saying it's been 26 days since my meters have been installed, how long until I will be switched and this was the response.

Thanks for getting in touch and I apologise for the late response,
Thank you for your email. I'm really sorry to hear you haven't been contacted yet to book your smart meter installation. Although we are working hard to improve the smart meter transition, there have been challenges which have meant some customers have experienced delays. Our Founder Greg explains more about this here: https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-the-innovators-challenge/
I'm passing this to our smart metering team who will look into this and come back to you,
Kind regards,
So they didn't even read my email! :mad:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
You're telling me I could be stuck on this tariff for a further 2 and half weeks?
I am only telling you what happened to me. Five months on, there are still issues with my billing as Octopus are missing the occasional day‘s data from the DCC. Lost data cannot be recovered.

·
jim5452
15 Posts

Still Octopus' customer service has been very poor, I just emailed them saying it's been 26 days since my meters have been installed, how long until I will be switched and this was the response.

So they didn't even read my email! :mad:
If you get your Go tariff in the next 2 and a half weeks you must be their the most lucky customer,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Waiting since August. Provider, the installers, are coming out again this week to try and rectify whatever is up.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
We are only seeing the tip of the iceberg in this forum. There must be hundreds of customers clogging the Octopus lines over their inability to apply the correct rates and issue accurate bills. I am so glad that I resisted the temptation to try to save a few pennies. Life is too short to waste it chasing incompetent companies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know if Octopus have a recommended charging point (not the Ohme) to use with their tariffs or even if they have a deal with a charging point provider so their customers can get one at a discounted rate in addition to the OLEV grant?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Does anyone know if Octopus have a recommended charging point (not the Ohme) to use with their tariffs or even if they have a deal with a charging point provider so their customers can get one at a discounted rate in addition to the OLEV grant?
Octopus used to offer the Zappi 1 and 2 but I see that this offer has disappeared from the website. Ohme or nothing it would seem.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you get your Go tariff in the next 2 and a half weeks you must be their the most lucky customer,
Why? That would be 6 weeks since the smart meters were installed, Lexden said it took 6 weeks for him.

Please explain

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm seriously considering jumping ship as their customer service is so bad, is this a totally stupid idea?

If I tried to switch to someone else who offers a cheap rate for overnight charging is it at all realistic they could have me set up within a month on that sort of tariff?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I previously read somewhere that Octopus had a deal with EO for the Mini Pro and there was a discount code to give them but I can’t find the details anymore.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I'm seriously considering jumping ship as their customer service is so bad, is this a totally stupid idea?

If I tried to switch to someone else who offers a cheap rate for overnight charging is it at all realistic they could have me set up within a month on that sort of tariff?
Have you found another tariff that is anywhere near the overnight rate?
I can't find one I can get onto so am sitting tight and hoping it won't take much longer.

If its another 5 weeks after the new meter I'm not sure what I'll do. At least I'm on their E7 tariff now, but it's still twice what it should be overnight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The restricted space on my backboard.
View attachment 120759
@Gordon Bradford are you still struggling to get a smart meter to fit? If so, I hope you don’t mind if I’d give my two pennies worth.

Looking at the meter board it seems with some minor rearrangement by a qualified electrician, at relatively low cost you, should be able to get a smets2 meter to fit.

Firstly, I wouldn’t even consider moving the cutout lower but how about putting the meter to the right of it instead? The space looks wide and tall enough.

The main earth terminal (MET) could be moved lower down on the board or somewhere to the left and a new longer earth cable run to your consumer unit.

Your main isolator switch is also in the way so it could either be done away with or if you want to keep it, it could even mounted horizontally in the space where your current meter is.

The only bits you’d have to get done by an electrician before getting the new meter installed (or even whilst the meter installer is present if you can coordinate it all) is move the earth and get new longer meter tails run from your consumer unit to the isolator.

The meter installer should then take care of the rest during the meter swap, with either connecting your longer meter tails from the consumer unit directly to the bottom of the new meter if you want to do away with the isolator or alternatively reposition the isolator once the old meter is removed and run new tales to the isolator whilst running new longer tails from the cutout to the new meter location.

You can run it past Franco and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I previously read somewhere that Octopus had a deal with EO for the Mini Pro and there was a discount code to give them but I can’t find the details anymore.
EDF was/is linked to EO as part of their EV tariff offer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there a case that the Go tariff is being mis-sold now? The website clearly states;

Already have a SMETS2 or SecureTM branded SMETS1 meter?
Simply start your switch onto an interim tariff below. Once you've switched to Octopus (which can take 17 days), and we've received half-hourly readings from your smart meter, which takes up to 7 days, we'll send you an email inviting you to complete your switch to Octopus Go.

Octopus know that it is taking longer than 7 days to get the meter readings yet their advertising continues suggest its a simple 7 day switch?

2041 - 2060 of 2096 Posts