Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

2321 - 2340 of 2561 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,224 Posts
When I go on the Octopus website for my account I often get a pop saying carbon emissions are high and I have 80% charge.

How does it know my cars charge level?
Same here

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep join the club. There's two distinct camps when switching to Octopus Go. People who have no issues and those of us waiting (myself - two months) prolonged periods of time. All you can do is to keep chasing them as technically the problem is not on their end, they are waiting for the meter readings to be re-purposed to them. They will only switch you onto Go when they are reliably getting the 30 minute readings.
So after my post earlier I emailed Octopus for a second time and I’ve just received an email stating I’m ready to join. I’ve just completed the check list and apparently I’ll be on Go from 00:00 tonight!

Sounds like I might be one of the lucky ones after all? 18 days total since requesting to join Go

Just need to see if the IHD has sorted itself out now when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
So after my post earlier I emailed Octopus for a second time and I’ve just received an email stating I’m ready to join. I’ve just completed the check list and apparently I’ll be on Go from 00:00 tonight!

Sounds like I might be one of the lucky ones after all? 18 days total since requesting to join Go

Just need to see if the IHD has sorted itself out now when I get home.

Luck shouldn't really come into it. When all suppliers are actually smart meter compliant (all suppliers have to register with the DCC but many of the smaller ones are still sitting on the fence), the aim is to achieve one day supplier switching. The 'cooling off' period would still apply but it would require a transfer back to the original supplier.

As I understand it, the IHD is managed by Octopus' systems integrator (TMA). If my IHD is anything to go by, the IHD will show an equivalent unit price and daily costings will not include the standing charge. Six months on, I still get a daily LED lightshow and frequent loss of connection. Meter to IHD distance is less than a Metre.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,707 Posts
Once E.On put my smart meter in next month, I'll be switching to Octopus. (Luckily, I'm on a "no exit fee" tariff. :))
For those about to offer referral codes - Sorry, a work colleague has given me his.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Luck shouldn't really come into it. When all suppliers are actually smart meter compliant (all suppliers have to register with the DCC but many of the smaller ones are still sitting on the fence), the aim is to achieve one day supplier switching. The 'cooling off' period would still apply but it would require a transfer back to the original supplier.

As I understand it, the IHD is managed by Octopus' systems integrator (TMA). If my IHD is anything to go by, the IHD will show an equivalent unit price and daily costings will not include the standing charge. Six months on, I still get a daily LED lightshow and frequent loss of connection. Meter to IHD distance is less than a Metre.
No luck shouldn’t come in to it, but from what I’ve read in here it seems it does.

My IHD has been working flawlessly with Eon for the past 4 months and it’s only these past couple of days since messaging Octopus about the status of my change to Go that it’s gone wappy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Once E.On put my smart meter in next month, I'll be switching to Octopus. (Luckily, I'm on a "no exit fee" tariff. :))
For those about to offer referral codes - Sorry, a work colleague has given me his.
I’ve paid £60 to leave Eon but the £50 referral code from Octopus basically covers that (I’ll make the remaining £10 up from what I’m saving by charging at 5p per kWh overnight).

If anybody wants an Octopus referral code DM me

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,809 Posts
Google spreadsheet to check data using your API key

File > Save a copy.

Add in your API key from here:

Then your MPAN & serial from a bill.

·
1,224 Posts
I’m not sure what is meant by “settings password” ? Does this do anything over and above what the OctoWatchdog app can do?

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,809 Posts
I’m not sure what is meant by “settings password” ? Does this do anything over and above what the OctoWatchdog app can do?
It's your API key (find yours here: Sign in to your account )

You can manipulate your data once it's in a spreadsheet?

I've not used OctoWatchdog (ios only I believe?) Can you get daily/monthly/quarterly readings? It's all the same if so.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I've not used OctoWatchdog (ios only I believe?) Can you get daily/monthly/quarterly readings? It's all the same if so.
OEW gives a rolling 30 day usage figure broken down by total cost; kWhs used with 30 minute usage and pricing. The data is exportable. It is an IOS only App which uses the account information and API as per your Google spreadsheet.

·
1,224 Posts
It's your API key (find yours here: Sign in to your account )

You can manipulate your data once it's in a spreadsheet?

Ah thanks - I got it working just before you replied by guessing that password meant API key. I only set up OctoWatchdog a few days ago (it is iOS only I gather).

I had a plan to use your spreadsheet to total the amount it says I would have spent during December had I been on Agile then (I was in fact on Go), and then compare this to what I actually spent on Go by totaling the daily amounts shown in my bill..... but then I realised the latest bill I have only has November, and the API data showing in the spreadsheet (and in OctoWatchdog) only has December (& Jan)...... so I guess that'll have to wait until I get another bill with December's breakdown.

On a separate point, I've been looking at the Ohme granny cable a bit more (I didn't realise it was offered at £200 for Octopus customers).

I'm wondering how long the payback period could be vs using the standard granny cable on Agile and just setting the car timer to charge only between, say, 8pm and 7am (long enough to add 55-60% or about 20kWh to battery by my rough estimation). I reckon on average I'd need to charge that amount maybe twice per week.

Anyone fancy having a stab at working that out !?

Also, does anyone know whether if I bought a granny Ohme it could be used by someone else if I were to sell it on if no longer needed in future? If so, that would obviously bring the effective cost down.

Edited to add: If we were to assume I could save, say, an average of 3p per kWh by charging via Ohme vs at whatever the rate happens to be between 8pm and 7am, then I reckon that means the payback period could be about 3 years. If I could sell the cable for, say, £100 in 18 months, then it should pay for itself whilst I've got it.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
For those asking about credits while missing out on the Go tariff I have now recieved a 'customer service gesture' of £100 for the time I was charging the car on peak rate.
I was offered £40 to start with but we use a lot of electricity each night and the 10p per unit extra soon mounts up so they looked at the bills and offered more.

After they offered the £100 I received the bills and they were very mixed up, as mentioned before. I thnk they have under billed for the time they couldn't read the old smart meter, all the E7 time readings are missing from the records I have, and they have got the date we joined them 2.5 weeks later on the bills than actual even though the online account shows the correct joining date.
In spite of me telling them this three times in emails they are insisting their bills are correct. As it is in my favour I'm not going to argue the point any more, there's only so much I can be bothered to do. I have tried hard to convince them they are wrong but they are sure the bills are correct.

They have corrected the bills for Agile that had missed out midnight to 7am and then added random kWh for the rest of the day so at least I am happy that going forward the bils will be correct or they can correct them. I will still be checking my bills, or at least looking at some of the days to check they match the online data for a while.

All in all it has been a very cheap 3 months of electricity as I have had a few referrals as well as the 'gesture', thanks to those who have used my referral code. My account is in credit for slightly more than I have paid in so it has been very cheap for the first three months with Octopus.
I do still have 2 weeks that I haven't had a bill for so please keep using my referral code :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Ah thanks - I got it working just before you replied by guessing that password meant API key. I only set up OctoWatchdog a few days ago (it is iOS only I gather).
I still haven't worked out what to do with it. Do I download the spreadsheet and add the info? What do I do once I have added my key, MPAN and serial number?

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
141 Posts
Also, does anyone know whether if I bought a granny Ohme it could be used by someone else if I were to sell it on if no longer needed in future? If so, that would obviously bring the effective cost down.

Edited to add: If we were to assume I could save, say, an average of 3p per kWh by charging via Ohme vs at whatever the rate happens to be between 8pm and 7am, then I reckon that means the payback period could be about 3 years. If I could sell the cable for, say, £100 in 18 months, then it should pay for itself whilst I've got it.
Q1) don't see why not, everyone gets new phones all the time. So new owner would just download the app and scan the QRCode on the brain box on the Ohme cable to communicate, tell the app what car they've got and what tariff they are on.
Q2) If you just plugged in and started charging at 8pm, then yes definitely you could win 3ppkwh with an Ohme cable. But I would imagine anyone on Agile would probably try to be a bit more savvy with their charging. Simple example would be that you can just use the charging menu in the car (I'm assuming they all have that) to start charging at a specific time based on Agile prices (someone has done a simple app called 'Octopus Tariff' {might just be android} so you can easily see what the prices will be that night and then decide on a window of charging). If you were consistently doing that, then I think the Ohme cable would struggle to get an extra 3ppkwh.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Slightly off current discussion although always interesting. Just had my Smart 2 install and can only say it all very well and the IHD works and by the looks of it the data is being transmitted ok. Hopefully as I had an old Smart meter with First Utility I will not have the mobile data issues others have had. Now have to wait to see that Octopus are getting the data and then hopefully will finally complete switch to go. On dark days when my solar panels produce diddly squat it will make a difference to our charging costs.

·
1,224 Posts
If you were consistently doing that, then I think the Ohme cable would struggle to get an extra 3ppkwh.
Thanks Paul - I think you are almost certainly correct. I think the trouble for me would be doing it consistently - manually changing the car timer each time I charge (2 or 3 times a week) to match the cheapest tariff times.

Part of the reason I moved to Agile from Go was so that I didn’t need to be so religious about trying to charge each night (via 3 pin) to make full use of the cheap period. On Agile, I reckon I should be able to avoid most spikes and make good savings just by charging between 8pm and 7am - and that longer period should mean I don’t need to plug in as often.

At the moment, I can’t see how it’d be worth me getting an Ohme cable to be honest.

There is a similar app on iOS (for 99p) - it also shows you your usage from previous days set against the tariff so you can see how you did.

2321 - 2340 of 2561 Posts