Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

2341 - 2360 of 2561 Posts

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
142 Posts
Ah Yeah, you did say 3 pin but it didn't trigger to me until now that means probably charging all night so defeats the object of the exercise with Ohme, which is to cherry pick the cheapest times for you.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,224 Posts
Not necessarily all night because I work from home quite regularly so the car is on the drive quite a lot of the time. But yes, the slower charging speed does make it harder to make the numbers work.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Interesting issue came up today, I got a cheap price alert from a new, small, supplier offering a standard rate tariff which is almost the same overall price as using Octopus for Dual Fuel ( including GO for my PHEV, so about 1000KW/year ).

The new supplier is not installing smart meters yet, and could not accept manual readings from my Octopus two rate Smets 1 meter on GO ( they called it E7 ). The new supplier can't reprogram my meter to single rate as they don't do smart meters, can't just add the 2 readings together, and I suspect my SMETS1 meters are not yet enrolled with DCC, so I think I would have to switch to an Octopus single rate tariff and Octopus would then have to reprogram my meter to single rate before I could switch.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Interesting issue came up today, I got a cheap price alert from a new, small, supplier offering a standard rate tariff which is almost the same overall price as using Octopus for Dual Fuel ( including GO for my PHEV, so about 1000KW/year ).

The new supplier is not installing smart meters yet, and could not accept manual readings from my Octopus two rate Smets 1 meter on GO ( they called it E7 ). The new supplier can't reprogram my meter to single rate as they don't do smart meters, can't just add the 2 readings together, and I suspect my SMETS1 meters are not yet enrolled with DCC, so I think I would have to switch to an Octopus single rate tariff and Octopus would then have to reprogram my meter to single rate before I could switch.
It may be more complicated than that based on my SMETS2 experience. When Octopus first installed my smart meter it was single register R1 on its standard tariff. When I switched to Go, the meter was configured R1 and R2 (peak/offpeak). When I made a further switch to Agile, the meter went back to just using R1. I confess that I haven't a clue which reading I would give if I switched back to a non smart supplier: do I give them the R1; the R1 and R2 as separate readings or the total index reading (R1 plus R2)? The problem is that I can no longer access the R2 figure: the meter only shows the R1 register but the IHD shows R1 + R2 total.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It may be more complicated than that based on my SMETS2 experience. When Octopus first installed my smart meter it was single register R1 on its standard tariff. When I switched to Go, the meter was configured R1 and R2 (peak/offpeak). When I made a further switch to Agile, the meter went back to just using R1. I confess that I haven't a clue which reading I would give if I switched back to a non smart supplier: do I give them the R1; the R1 and R2 as separate readings or the total index reading (R1 plus R2)? The problem is that I can no longer access the R2 figure: the meter only shows the R1 register but the IHD shows R1 + R2 total.
On SMETS1 I was R1 on standard, stayed on R1 when originally switched to Go in June 2019 (being charged an average KW rate), then remotely switched to R1/R2 in August 2019. On SMETS1 the IHD does not show meter readings - only the consumption.

Once we are all on DCC I suspect it will all be seamless, with the new supplier setting the meter up with the new rates either single or dual.

Until then for manual readings on a single rate meter, the new supplier should only need the R1 readings as that would be the only register that would be changing. But this might be too complicated for some.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Interesting. I don't want to give the impression that I disbelieve that quote but if such savings are real then, of course, I would want to also take advantage of that level of difference even if it means enduring a bit of hassle.

Would you feel comfortable letting me know your annual electricity and gas home usage kWh figures as well as the total annual cost that was charged for that power so that I can input that specific data into my handy dandy Excel spreadsheet that I use when debating a change in power supplier? Please use the DM function in here if you are reluctant to put that info out there in open forum. If your figures stack up then a saving of £500 pa would be attractive.
We are high electricity users with two EVs. Probably using about 15,000 kWh per year. My average Agile price so far is 8.83 p/kWh, including the standing charge.

The best I can get elsewhere is People’s Energy at 12.31 p/kWh. With the standing charge, that works out at 13.31 p/kWh using my own actual usage.

For me, this works out as an average saving of approx £1.20 per day so far, £438 per year. Even if the saving drops to 50p per day (I can’t see it dropping by that much), that would still be saving £182.50 per year. I haven’t been Agile for long but my usage pattern is unlikely to change.

On my Agile vs. Go comparison so far, we are saving 88p/day being on Agile compared to Go. So will stay with Agile for now.

We don’t use Octopus for gas, I think for high electricity users, it is better to get gas/electricity from separate suppliers. We are paying 2.37 p/kWh for gas with So Energy.

Referral link for So Energy if anyone wants to use it. £40 account credit for both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
You can have my figures (I also built a spreadsheet to help me switch!) -
Electricity - 2400 kW
Gas - 15,000 kW

Previous with Bulb Varifair -
Elec - Standing Charge 0.20, unit 0.145
Gas - Standing Charge 0.20, unit 0.0376

Total cost - 1062

Currently with Octopus Go -
Elec - Standing Charge 0.25, unit 0.143
Gas - Standing Charge 0.25, unit 0.038325

Total cost - 1100

Hope that helps.
You are overpaying for gas by quite a bit, I think.
As per my post above, high electricity users are mostly better off being with a different provider for gas.

We are paying 2.37 p/kWh for gas with So Energy, 22.05 p/day standing charge. I’m not sure of the prices on your region but worth doing a comparison for gas/electricity from separate suppliers to see if there is a saving to be made.

So Energy Referral link if anyone wants to use it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My online account seems to be missing data from 1-7 January. I have raised this with customer services and hopefully will be sorted soon. My understanding is that Octopus will be able to obtain the missing data. The last 13 months data is stored in the meter. I suspect this is a DCC issue, I have a SMETS2 meter.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
My online account seems to be missing data from 1-7 January. I have raised this with customer services and hopefully will be sorted soon. My understanding is that Octopus will be able to obtain the missing data. The last 13 months data is stored in the meter. I suspect this is a DCC issue, I have a SMETS2 meter.

Based on my experience over the past 6 months, I suspect that Octopus has yet to determine what causes the occasional loss of data from the DCC. It is only in the last month or so that they have had access to a tool to enable them to recover this missing data when a statement is due. As far as recovering stored data on the meter is concerned, presumably this would be a task that the DCC would undertake?

·
142 Posts
We are high electricity users with two EVs. Probably using about 15,000 kWh per year. My average Agile price so far is 8.83 p/kWh, including the standing charge.

The best I can get elsewhere is People’s Energy at 12.31 p/kWh. With the standing charge, that works out at 13.31 p/kWh using my own actual usage.

For me, this works out as an average saving of approx £1.20 per day so far, £438 per year. Even if the saving drops to 50p per day (I can’t see it dropping by that much), that would still be saving £182.50 per year. I haven’t been Agile for long but my usage pattern is unlikely to change.

On my Agile vs. Go comparison so far, we are saving 88p/day being on Agile compared to Go. So will stay with Agile for now.

We don’t use Octopus for gas, I think for high electricity users, it is better to get gas/electricity from separate suppliers. We are paying 2.37 p/kWh for gas with So Energy.

Referral link for So Energy if anyone wants to use it. £40 account credit for both.

Snap, I'm not a particularly big user of either but it makes sense to go for the best deals, especially if you don't mind managing 2 suppliers.. I've also taken a control (or whatever you call it) of the best dual fuel deal quote that I would have probably gone for had I not been getting an EV, just for comparison (I've had a meter installed with my charger so I can separate House / car use). I only signed up to So Energy a few weeks ago so I'll try and retro the referral to you, but I suspect I won't be able to.

Reactions: socrates

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wonder, for those of us on the Agile tariff, will we see negative pricing tonight/tomorrow night due to the high winds expected...

·
1,224 Posts
Not long to wait to find out! I might go for a long drive to empty the battery!

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's been updated, not negative but almost free!

00:00 - 00:301.83 p/kWh
00:30 - 01:003.97 p/kWh
01:00 - 01:303.47 p/kWh
01:30 - 02:001.46 p/kWh
02:00 - 02:300.46 p/kWh
02:30 - 03:000.46 p/kWh
03:00 - 03:300.46 p/kWh
03:30 - 04:000.04 p/kWh
04:00 - 04:302.08 p/kWh
04:30 - 05:002.29 p/kWh
05:00 - 05:304.62 p/kWh
05:30 - 06:006.10 p/kWh
06:00 - 06:306.24 p/kWh
06:30 - 07:007.16 p/kWh
07:00 - 07:308.20 p/kWh

·
Registered
392 Posts
Stick it on two car jacks and put a brick on the pedal
Running the heating might be a bit safer...Ferris Bueller's day off anyone...?

·
1,224 Posts
So close! It is actually zero in some regions so properly free at least!

·
Registered
380 Posts
You are overpaying for gas by quite a bit, I think.
As per my post above, high electricity users are mostly better off being with a different provider for gas.

We are paying 2.37 p/kWh for gas with So Energy, 22.05 p/day standing charge. I’m not sure of the prices on your region but worth doing a comparison for gas/electricity from separate suppliers to see if there is a saving to be made.

So Energy Referral link if anyone wants to use it.

Thanks for the heads up regarding So Energy. I've just used your referral code to switch our gas over. We're quite high gas users so we should save about £240 including referral over a year compared to Octopus gas.

For us it's 2.48p/kWh, 22.05p/day standing charge, £5 early exit fee.

? for a smooth changeover!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the heads up regarding So Energy. I've just used your referral code to switch our gas over. We're quite high gas users so we should save about £240 including referral over a year compared to Octopus gas.

For us it's 2.48p/kWh, 22.05p/day standing charge, £5 early exit fee.

for a smooth changeover!

I’m tempted on switching gas to these as will save £60 including the referral credit. Does anybody know if a SMETS 2 meter / IHD will work with 2 different suppliers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I’m tempted on switching gas to these as will save £60 including the referral credit. Does anybody know if a SMETS 2 meter / IHD will work with 2 different suppliers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMETS2 meters do not work with any supplier: they connect to The Data Communications Company (Capita). All suppliers are required to be registered with The DCC; however, a large number have quote operational reasons unquote as to why they cannot accept smart meter data. You will have to ask your chosen supplier which category they are in.

Looking at this blog, I suspect that you will have to send SO manual meter readings.

One of the possible downsides of switching with a smart meter that doesn’t work is that their support will be limited. For example, my L and G G470 SMETS2 has failed after a firmware update. I am not sure that SO would know if I was one of their customers.

·
142 Posts
Socrates. I couldn't retrospectively do a referral with So Energy (you can with Octopus), hey ho. at least someone has taken you up on it.

Can anyone in the Yorkshire area, who's recently had a smart meter installed by Octopus, tell me how long roughly to get a smart meter call and then install visit. I signed up to Agile in December and switched supplier on 1 Jan, now waiting for the call

Reactions: socrates
2341 - 2360 of 2561 Posts