Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

2361 - 2380 of 2508 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
SMETS2 meters do not work with any supplier: they connect to The Data Communications Company (Capita). All suppliers are required to be registered with The DCC; however, a large number have quote operational reasons unquote as to why they cannot accept smart meter data. You will have to ask your chosen supplier which category they are in.

Looking at this blog, I suspect that you will have to send SO manual meter readings.

One of the possible downsides of switching with a smart meter that doesn’t work is that their support will be limited. For example, my L and G G470 SMETS2 has failed after a firmware update. I am not sure that SO would know if I was one of their customers.
Thanks Lexden. Re your L and G G470 failing, I have an L and G E470 and the IHD has started boot looping. Octopus haven’t gotten back to me as yet but Googling it comes back with a possible firmware update failure... is your problem similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Thanks Lexden. Re your L and G G470 failing, I have an L and G E470 and the IHD has started boot looping. Octopus haven’t gotten back to me as yet but Googling it comes back with a possible firmware update failure... is your problem similar?

Nothing whatsoever to do with the Chameleon IHD. My IHD has been up and down since the meters were installed 6 months ago. Other suppliers are having similar problems.

My issue is meter related. My E470 electricity meter is fine; however, my G470 gas meter is showing an index reading which hasn’t increased in the last 3 weeks. The IHD shows the same index (meter) readings as the actual meters. Octopus is working with L and G to deploy a fix for the c.100 meters that have apparently stopped recording usage. Thankfully, the firmware update hasn’t resulted in a meter disconnection.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks Paul - I think you are almost certainly correct. I think the trouble for me would be doing it consistently - manually changing the car timer each time I charge (2 or 3 times a week) to match the cheapest tariff times.

Part of the reason I moved to Agile from Go was so that I didn’t need to be so religious about trying to charge each night (via 3 pin) to make full use of the cheap period. On Agile, I reckon I should be able to avoid most spikes and make good savings just by charging between 8pm and 7am - and that longer period should mean I don’t need to plug in as often.

At the moment, I can’t see how it’d be worth me getting an Ohme cable to be honest.

There is a similar app on iOS (for 99p) - it also shows you your usage from previous days set against the tariff so you can see how you did.

View attachment 126383
View attachment 126384
Hi, I am using the Octopus watchdog app and would like to know how to see the tariff and usage data as above. When I select Electricity option it only shows me my usage.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Hi, I am using the Octopus watchdog app and would like to know how to see the tariff and usage data as above. When I select Electricity option it only shows me my usage.
The most likely explanation is that you have not filled in the product and tariff information accurately. I always use cut and paste to avoid errors.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can anyone in the Yorkshire area, who's recently had a smart meter installed by Octopus, tell me how long roughly to get a smart meter call and then install visit. I signed up to Agile in December and switched supplier on 1 Jan, now waiting for the call
Switched to Octopus 2nd November got smart meter appointment 22nd November but fitter had the wrong information and it was actually done 12th December. Switch to Go took about 3 weeks

Need to chase them up all the time! My switch to go was done in 2 days after I emailed to ask why it hadn't happened.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well at long last Octopus via SMS have fitted a SMETS2 at my house!
however there are comma problems, apparently there is a issue with the signal between my house the DCC & Octopus.
Hopefully this will be resolved swiftly View attachment 125738
Update, SMS arrived today on behalf of Octopus to commission the meter.
initially the technician said it couldn’t be done as the meter had connected to the hub, but had failed to communicate with DCC and thought the meter would need changing. After an hour or so on the phone, he went out to the van. Coming back a few minutes later telling me the meter was indeed working and communicating with DCC.
i have since had an email from Octopus saying they can see the data and I should be swapped to Octopus Go within the next 48 hours!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Switched to Octopus 2nd November got smart meter appointment 22nd November but fitter had the wrong information and it was actually done 12th December. Switch to Go took about 3 weeks

Need to chase them up all the time! My switch to go was done in 2 days after I emailed to ask why it hadn't happened.
I second that. Mine took about two months end-to-end, but moved much quicker when I started pushing them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wher
Update, SMS arrived today on behalf of Octopus to commission the meter.
initially the technician said it couldn’t be done as the meter had connected to the hub, but had failed to communicate with DCC and thought the meter would need changing. After an hour or so on the phone, he went out to the van. Coming back a few minutes later telling me the meter was indeed working and communicating with DCC.
i have since had an email from Octopus saying they can see the data and I should be swapped to Octopus Go within the next 48 hours!
where can I now view the data Octopus are getting? Can’t see anything on the app.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same issue because Octopus had not done the account set up at their end (the hourly rates were wrong too). Get in touch with them and be firm but polite!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for the heads up regarding So Energy. I've just used your referral code to switch our gas over. We're quite high gas users so we should save about £240 including referral over a year compared to Octopus gas.
Thanks very much for the referral. I've had separate gas and electricity supplies for over a year, even before octopus so didn't switch the gas to Octopus and saving quite a bit compared to dual fuel quotes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I’m tempted on switching gas to these as will save £60 including the referral credit. Does anybody know if a SMETS 2 meter / IHD will work with 2 different suppliers?

I didn't have smart meters before changing to Octopus, not for gas nor electricity. Now have one for agile octopus but not for gas.

So Energy aren't installing smart gas meters at the moment, but this doesn't bother me.

If you do switch, you'll have to send them a manual reading until they are using smart meters.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wher

where can I now view the data Octopus are getting? Can’t see anything on the app.
The half hourly readings should appear on the Web version of your account once you have switched to Go. The Octopus app doesn't show much.

Another way of getting the data is to use the Octo energy watchdog app which is an ios only app. If android, you can use the Google sheets linked earlier in this thread

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got nissan leaf 62kw and I'm interested in getting this as I'm a octopus customer but it's a shame if it wasn't over 12 - 6 as I do nearly 42kw per day . Also the standard rate for me 14.43 per kw on standard rate .

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've got nissan leaf 62kw and I'm interested in getting this as I'm a octopus customer but it's a shame if it wasn't over 12 - 6 as I do nearly 42kw per day . Also the standard rate for me 14.43 per kw on standard rate .
You would save quite a bit if you are charging the car 42 kw per day by switching to Octopus GO.

On Octopus Go, it would cost you:

7*4*5p = £1.40 for the four GO hours
And 7*2*14.43 = £2.02 for the two normal rate hours

Total = £3.42 per day to charge the car.

At the moment you are paying 42*14.43 = £6.06

Saving £2.64per day.

This assumes that you have a 7kw/32A charger and the leaf 62 charges at that rate. And that the 20 hours on the GO tariff are 14.43p/kwh. What is it where you are? Think it varies for different regions.

Agile would probably be even cheaper, provided you could avoid the expensive 4-7pm rates.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,552 Posts
You could request to join the octopus go faster trial after you are fully setup on Go, my parents did and were accepted.

This is from the invite mail:

"Option 1. Take a 3-hour Go period at 4.5p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30 or 00.30

Option 2. Take a 4-hour Go period at 5p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30 or 00.30

Option 3. Take a 5-hour Go period at 5.5p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30 or 00.30"

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,024 Posts
Just out of interest, is anyone who is using the OctoWatchdog app (or viewing the API data in other ways) getting up to date and complete data now?

My data in the app hasn’t updated since 9th Jan.

Strangely, my usage data on the Octopus website does seem to update, but is several days behind - I thought it was supposed to show the previous day’s usage?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a week of no data for the 1st 7 days of the year on app and website, an email seemed to fix that not that they replied.

I find with the app I have to log out and back in every time I want it to update latest data

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,024 Posts
Thanks - I’ll try logging out and back in. (I think I had to use the manual set up though to get the gas usage to show too so it’s a bit of a pain to do).

ETA: Ok, that’s got the app almost in parity with the website at least (for now). The website does show usage for 12th Jan too though... Hopefully Octopus will start updating the usage more quickly so both are able to show the previous day at the same time and ASAP.

I’m also not totally convinced I did actually use exactly the same number of Wh (down to the last 10) on two different days...

·
Registered
29 Posts
You could request to join the octopus go faster trial after you are fully setup on Go, my parents did and were accepted.

This is from the invite mail:

"Option 1. Take a 3-hour Go period at 4.5p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30 or 00.30

Option 2. Take a 4-hour Go period at 5p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30 or 00.30

Option 3. Take a 5-hour Go period at 5.5p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30 or 00.30"
Hi, Interested in what the unit price is when not in those off peak periods, if you know please?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
So I chased Octopus about smets2 smart meter install, even though we have only just switched a couple of days ago, as I am concerned about the possible long delays in getting a newer smets2 meter replacement for our current original smets version.
The reply infers that because we have signed up for Agile it will be their own team that does the meter upgrade (not a 3rd party) so that’s good news because at least it is all under one company and hopefully will happen timely. Will update as when progress is made.

2361 - 2380 of 2508 Posts