Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

2541 - 2560 of 2561 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
I switched to Octopus last October and had a smart meter fitted on 12th December and moved to go in January. So far I have only been billed for the period before the smart meter was fitted - no bill for the time with the smart meter on the standard tariff and nothing since the switch to go. Is this normal?

Yesterday I noticed there were no smart meter readings on the account for the last 3 days so I emailed them about this and the lack of bills (no reply yet). Today I only have smart meter readings showing for the last 2 days - everything else has disappeared.

Is this normal? Will the data come back? How can they run a business like this?
I moved to Octopus in November. Billing and meter data has been a nightmare. I got a bill for 6 days worth of electricty in early December. That was my last bill. Then the useage data on the web site disappeared. After many emails during December /Early January daily useage stats returned but a period of 10 days in December is lost forever - I cant see the details and they cant tell me the useage.

For the past 6 weeks I've been aksing them to bill me monthly. I was promsed a bill would be produced on 18th January. It was not. I was then promised it would be produced on 18th Feb. It too never appeared.

So I complained to their CEO. Within 5 days I've had my first 'real' bill although issued today it is only from early December until 2nd Feb. I am promised that all future bills will be on a monthly basis. I am not so sure.

Luckily this first real bill contained daily useage data for the whole period and covered the dates where the useage data was missing on the web site

Its a joke really

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Its a joke really
Hardly a joke. It’s a beta service and as such all switchers are advised it’s WIP, with a warning on the website when signing up.
Whilst its clearly a pain not get a bill every month, I suspect everyone in this situation is just paying a fixed monthly direct debit that is an amount similar to what you paid on your previous tariff or supplier, so likely to be pretty much in line with what Go or Agile tariff you should be paying. Assumes no change in usage, but maybe some now have EV’s and consumption gone up, so probably paying less than might need to.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Octopus smets2 meter installed by Octopus engineer (this morning). Took a bit longer than usual. He said normal 45mins if all communicates immediately (Elecy only). Took a while to do some resets and register OK and then IHD wouldn’t work, so swapped for another new one, which did. Less than 2hrs. Total
Nice guy, had a good chat and he was saying about 38 Octopus own engineers and looking to expand to 200 ASAP. He covers Oxfordshire and had 2 more jobs scheduled for today. He would have been earlier, but usual M40 traffic incident delayed him for our job, which is part of the issue along with comms setup delays for all installations. Just need M3P now.

Timeline...
started switch from OFTM to Octopus 28Dec2019
switched on 14Jan2010
smart meter install booked on 06Feb2020
smart meter installation/upgrade completed 03Mar2020

Also got him to put 100A isolation switch in place as not done when original smart unit installed years ago. Done foc.

Attachments

·
Registered
921 Posts
We've just had an email to say we're coming to the end of the fixed 12 month Go tariff... Staying on Go doesn't appear to be an option given on the link to compare other tariffs. Anyone else had to move/stay yet?

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
My experience is that it does roll over, but that it isn't presented as an option. Message Octopus - they are normally helpful and respond quickly unless you are @donald :unsure:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Via the wonders of Twitter they have agreed to send me the appropriate link. It's not due to 'end' until May... so might not be able to activate it yet anyway.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,670 Posts
My experience is that it does roll over, but that it isn't presented as an option. Message Octopus - they are normally helpful and respond quickly unless you are @donald :unsure:
Oh, they were very quick and polite. 'Helpful' is a relative thing and may hinge on 'intent' or 'outcome'. The intent was there .... I have no complaint with the customer service. And it's resolved now. All good. Happy days.

... So I can now recommend them, if anyone wants to join ... my referral here ;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
So can I just check ... I signed up for Octopus in Nov and transferred to them on 17 Dec aiming for the Go tariff. I say aiming because they said it would take about a month to get smart meters installed then a week to start receiving data and then I would transfer to Go. I'm pragmatic so I assumed that a target completion date of late Jan was optimistic. However, two failed installation appointments later and messages saying that Octopus has now fixed an error on their system makes me wonder how much of the 12 month period (that I wasn't aware of) might remain when I do connect. Meanwhile, I'm paying higher than necessary costs for all electricity!

So my question is, I may have missed the point that it's only a 12 month tariff but is it the usually to rollover on the same terms (once connected)?

2541 - 2560 of 2561 Posts