Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2079 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
This is only available from Zapi. The 4 hours are not fixed but selected on market prices so not necessarily 4 continuous hours.
If that is the case it certainly wasn't made clear in their marketing material, it did say that you wouldn't have to take the offer of a Zappi at (£359 I seem to recall). Well with no exit fees if it turns out to be a pup of a deal, I'll have to look elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
A word of warning. In theory, if you fit a 'smart meter' then you are no longer eligible for deemed export on your solar system. This was a change sneaked in by the government in the last FIT changes. They were challenged on it at a solar industry event yesterday and they are aware of the problem whereby the current smart meters don't properly record export so how are you meant to claim it?! I, for one, will not be installing one until this is sorted out.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
A word of warning. In theory, if you fit a 'smart meter' then you are no longer eligible for deemed export on your solar system. This was a change sneaked in by the government in the last FIT changes. They were challenged on it at a solar industry event yesterday and they are aware of the problem whereby the current smart meters don't properly record export so how are you meant to claim it?! I, for one, will not be installing one until this is sorted out.
That sound's bad - now I've got a battery I've virtually stopped exporting.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
To clarify a few things I emailed octopus this is there reply.

Thanks for getting in touch, it's great to hear that you are interested in our Go tariff!

Yes - the off-peak times for the go tariff are 00:30 - 04:30 (unit rate: 5p/kWh, standing charge: 25p/kWh). The prices are fixed for 12 months.

It is not mandatory to have a Zappi charger in order to use the Go tariff. We have, however, partnered with MyEnergi so the Zappi charger is available to Go tariff users for £359.

The Go tariff is available as both a dual fuel or electricity only tariff

We are currently not installing SMETS2 meters. This is due to delays in the project, deriving primarily from government conditions that demanded improvements to the security software. As this is a national industry-led project, it is difficult to put a definitive date when this we be rolled out. However, we hope that this will be in early 2019. Instead we are offering our customers Liberty Secure Smart meters, and these are compatible with the Go tariff.

I have attached a link to the terms and conditions on our website:Terms and Conditions | Octopus Energy

I hope this answers your questions clearly, however, if you have any more or want anything clarified, please get in touch.

Kind regards,
Charlie

Introducing Octopus Go: The energy tariff designed just for EV drivers | Octopus Energy

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry don't understand the missprint comment?
Daytime rates are.
Unit rate:13.45 p/kWh Standing charge:25.00 p/day
Which is 1p more per kWh than bulb my current supplier and 0.5p more standing charge.
I have solar (rent roof so don't get a FIT payment ) so my daytime usage in low most of the time.
I have also questioned the Zappi price before or after OLEV as I already have a podpoint installed and already claimed the grant but that price seems a good deal for a zappi if I can get it for that price.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
And this came back from them if it helps anyone.

Hi Paul,

Not a stupid question at all! The cost of £359 is after the OLEV grant has been applied. As you have already received the grant before I am unaware whether it can be applied again. I would advise contacting them regarding this:

Grant schemes for electric vehicle charging infrastructure.

With regards to whether the installation could be cheaper as you already have the Pod Point, again, I would recommend speaking to them should you want to proceed with having the Zappi charger installed.

Apologies I can't be of great assistance at present. Please get in touch if you have any other questions regarding the tariff!

Kind regards,
Charlie

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Doesn't sound like a deal on the Zappi. £350 installed after the grant is a normal price from what I've seen on here a few months back. I paid slightly less but ran the cable myself and had two installed the same day.

If the timer in the car is reliable then there would be no need for a Zappi.
4 hours would be tight though, the Leaf often shows more than 4hrs to 100% charge and the timer on that wouldn't be accurate enough. I use the end time and it's always finished way before the time I set.
The e-Golf is better as that has the 7kWh charger, but it would still take slightly over 4hrs if the battery was very low, and that only takes 35kWh to fully charge (that's with losses before anyone comments). The new Leaf must take 5+ hours.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
For my application I don't fully charge every night as I like to squeeze as much free electric out of my employer as I can. If I charge to 100% at night
When I plug in at work after 5hrs I am back up to pretty much full again the last few % on the granny takes a long time leaving 2.5 hours of waisted charge time so I just top up an hour or so at home.Most time's I start Monday with about 95% ish drive to work 47miles a roads charge 7.5hrs drive home and back without changing again 7.5hrs charge, home again then I do a timed charge for 2hrs repeat again till Friday. I have worked out that I loose 10% a day like this so the charge on Wednesday is to keep my safety net of 50miles in case I can't change at work or I finish early.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
5p per kWh 25p standing charge for the day

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't understand this post. I had my solar fitted recently and it had its own generation meter fitted. I have registered this with my power company for my FIT payments and had to supply serial numbers and a photo so that they could be sure how many digits it had (first utility). The agreement I signed was that 50% would be assumed exported

If I now have a smart meter fitted, I assume I will still provide readings from the generation meter and the 50% will still apply.

There was a box to fill in if you have an export meter fitted - but I ticked no as I don't have one. Are you saying that if I now have a smart meter fitted then that counts as an export meter? Am I supposed to go back and tell someone I now have an export meter?

At the moment I'd be a winner as I'm exporting more than half of what I generate (despite my best efforts to use it all) but in September, assuming Tesla ever get their act together, I'm having a Powerwall fitted and don't expect to export much after that.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Do you mean that any new installs will not get deemed export when they have a smart meter. I believe existing deals cannot be changed.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
This seems like a rumour, unless you have something in writing?

I asked Octopus about this when exploring tariffs and was told that while the smart meter records export they don't do anything with the data as they are not a FiT payer and my existing FiT billing company will continue deemed export. This applies to all systems under 30kW.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Um...talking about powerwalls.
a powerwall can now pull 5kwh from the grid on demand.
Easily enough to full the battery.
My entire use is about 10Kwh
plus 15kwh for the cars.
25p SC

total £1.75 a day max.

wow!
is my maths right here?

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Do you mean that any new installs will not get deemed export when they have a smart meter. I believe existing deals cannot be changed.
The following is taken from Ofgem’s 2017 Annual Report:

“Under the Standard License Conditons, there is an obligation placed on licensed electricity supply companies to deploy smart meters to all of their domestic customers by the end of 2020. Smart meters have the capability of measuring export, which has implications for the FIT scheme - under current regulations, generators with a smart meter installed would be switched from deemed export to metered export payments.”

I have heard that some FIT providers are enforcing this and some aren’t. The industry is lobbying government to remove this obligation although clearly it may also stimulate the energy storage market.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The industry is lobbying government to remove this obligation although clearly it may also stimulate the energy storage market.
Presumably in a negative way? At the moment you get paid a fixed export amount, but with a smart meter if you added a battery you would lose it.

21 - 40 of 2079 Posts