Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1601 - 1620 of 1662 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Charged up successfully twice this week using the new EV Go Tarif. My Zoe now costs £2 to fully charge instead of £6 but I can only 2/3 fill the battery in 4 hour so I am now charging up when the battery gets down to 33% instead of 20%. From switching to Octopus back in June, to getting the SMETS1 smart meter fitted in August we still had to send them photos of the new meters before they would switch us to the cheaper EV Go tarif, so a bit of faff chasing up e-mails and waiting for the meter but eventually we got there and are now happy.

Easier and quicker than getting the Charger installed, but that's another sad story for another time. Good thing I'm a patient EV geek, not sure if the man in the street will put up with all the hassle of EV ownership :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Charged up successfully twice this week using the new EV Go Tarif. My Zoe now costs £2 to fully charge instead of £6 but I can only 2/3 fill the battery in 4 hour so I am now charging up when the battery gets down to 33% instead of 20%. From switching to Octopus back in June, to getting the SMETS1 smart meter fitted in August we still had to send them photos of the new meters before they would switch us to the cheaper EV Go tarif, so a bit of faff chasing up e-mails and waiting for the meter but eventually we got there and are now happy.

Easier and quicker than getting the Charger installed, but that's another sad story for another time. Good thing I'm a patient EV geek, not sure if the man in the street will put up with all the hassle of EV ownership :)
2 weeks tomorrow since I requested the move to Go and asked another company for a charger installation quote. Tomorrow I should be getting the charger installed but I've had no contact regarding the meter install

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Could someone on Octopus Go with a Smets 2 meter check something for me. I have just looked at yesterday's usage chart which shows usage of 12.963kWhs whereas the IHD for yesterday shows that I used 16.68kWhs. The only explanation that I can come up with is that the usage chart is an hour out; ie, UTC/GMT rather than BST. As I have yet to get any form of detailed bill, it does beg the question about costs versus times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could someone on Octopus Go with a Smets 2 meter check something for me. I have just looked at yesterday's usage chart which shows usage of 12.963kWhs whereas the IHD for yesterday shows that I used 16.68kWhs. The only explanation that I can come up with is that the usage chart is an hour out; ie, UTC/GMT rather than BST. As I have yet to get any form of detailed bill, it does beg the question about costs versus times.
Spot on. The API returns +1hr like this, so I assume it's not correcting that appropriately for BST or whatever and that's what you're seeing on the graph? :)

{"consumption":1.335,"interval_start":"2019-09-04T22:30:00+01:00","interval_end":"2019-09-04T23:00:00+01:00"}

Where are you seeing the usage chart on their dashboard? As an Agile customer, I can see the rates graph, but there isn't any consumption history graph. I can only currently get that via the API.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Spot on. The API returns +1hr like this, so I assume it's not correcting that appropriately for BST or whatever and that's what you're seeing on the graph? :)

{"consumption":1.335,"interval_start":"2019-09-04T22:30:00+01:00","interval_end":"2019-09-04T23:00:00+01:00"}

Where are you seeing the usage chart on their dashboard? As an Agile customer, I can see the rates graph, but there isn't any consumption history graph. I can only currently get that via the API.
I think that Octopus is playing around with my online account as it is a complete mess. I can view electricity consumption (but no smart meter readings) via My Meters when I access my account via a webpage rather than the App. This is what I am seeing. It comes in late afternoon the following day.

Edit: I think that I have worked out what is happening here. The usage graph is displaced by 30 mins. The graph is picking up the usage figure from 23.30 to Midnight on the previous day, and ignoring the usage in the same period on the charted day. This accounts for the difference between the chart and the IHD. I now have to work out why my i3 is ignoring the programmed off peak period.

My IHD is showing:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Disappointing email from Octopus recently. It seems they've given up SMETS2 installations in the North half of the country for the time being and they want to put in SMETS1 (apparently my existing SMETS1 are not compatible).

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Disappointing email from Octopus recently. It seems they've given up SMETS2 installations in the North half of the country for the time being and they want to put in SMETS1 (apparently my existing SMETS1 are not compatible).

It is hard for me to say this as I am struggling with Octopus at the moment but, in fairness to them, the problem is industry-wide. SMETS2 'Oop North' uses a different communications provider to the one that southerners use (O2). It is SMETS2 communications that is giving The DCC a major headache.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,305 Posts
It is hard for me to say this as I am struggling with Octopus at the moment but, in fairness to them, the problem is industry-wide. SMETS2 'Oop North' uses a different communications provider to the one that southerners use (O2). It is SMETS2 communications that is giving The DCC a major headache.
Yep, SMETS2 use Arqiva long range radio in the north.

They've only had since 2010 to test..

·
Registered
33 Posts
SMETS2 June. Just had a message live on GO .. not sure correct format of url but getting new dashboard message . IHD does not have the tarrif info .. any advice ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yes. I'm not blaming Octopus, but whoever set up the SMETS2 system in the first place. It seems like a typical government IT project failure.

Why, on Earth, should there be a separate system, let alone a different system for different parts of the country? And it's clear that the fundamental design of the SMETS2 metering systems is way too fragile. If it's so easy to brick SMETS2 equipment during installation, it's hard to believe it will be robust in use.

Sounds to me like the security systems must be very badly thought out. If you can brick a meter with QA testing that suggests that the meter locks out, perhaps for good, on authentication failures. That's not just fragile, its a vulnerability to hackers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I emailed them stating that I knew of the issues in the North with SMETS2 and would take a SMETS1 if offered. They clearly hadn't read my email as they told me to click the sign up link so they can track my smart meter request which I had already done and even stated in the email

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,305 Posts
Over 1 million customers for Octopus now.
"Co-op Energy has struck an agreement with Octopus Energy, which will see the latter take on ownership and responsibility for the management and supply of energy to the 300k customers currently supplied by Co-op Energy, Flow and GB Energy."

"The deal, completed for an undisclosed sum, counts as the fourth significant transaction for Octopus in the last year, which - following this new deal - has seen its customer base triple from 300,000 to well over a million during that time."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Over 1 million customers for Octopus now.
"Co-op Energy has struck an agreement with Octopus Energy, which will see the latter take on ownership and responsibility for the management and supply of energy to the 300k customers currently supplied by Co-op Energy, Flow and GB Energy."

"The deal, completed for an undisclosed sum, counts as the fourth significant transaction for Octopus in the last year, which - following this new deal - has seen its customer base triple from 300,000 to well over a million during that time."
I'm sat in the IT office at Co-op Energy now :(

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
The big unknown for me is how much of our peak non EV usage we can move to off-peak? If we can move such things as washing machine and dishwasher use to off peak then the £25 difference will narrow.
We use washing machine on day rate, but have tumble dryer come on at 0030 as that uses far more electric. We also delay dishwasher to the 4 hour slot.

Overall we are achieving 40% use in those 4 hours, but the bulk of that is charging the Zoe. As the Evezy car had free charging we rarely charged that at home and OH has been charging Model 3 at her golf club :)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yes. I'm not blaming Octopus, but whoever set up the SMETS2 system in the first place. It seems like a typical government IT project failure.

Why, on Earth, should there be a separate system, let alone a different system for different parts of the country? And it's clear that the fundamental design of the SMETS2 metering systems is way too fragile. If it's so easy to brick SMETS2 equipment during installation, it's hard to believe it will be robust in use.

Sounds to me like the security systems must be very badly thought out. If you can brick a meter with QA testing that suggests that the meter locks out, perhaps for good, on authentication failures. That's not just fragile, its a vulnerability to hackers.
Reading various DCC documents, there was some logic in having separate communication systems. Scotland isn’t that well populated and SMETS2 works on a WAN if there is no line of sight mobile link. In other words, SMETS2 readings are passed around the WAN until a meter than can communicate with the DCC is found.

The layered security protocols for SMETS2 were developed by GCHQ. The major worry was that the security system as originally designed by energy suppliers could, if meters were hacked en masse, result in the remote disconnection of a large number of meters. This, in turn, could cause the type of Grid frequency imbalance that we experienced a couple of weeks ago.

I should add that whilst the suppliers insisted on having remote disconnection - and we are all paying for it - there were only 14 Court Order electricity disconnections in 2017 (Ofgem)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
SMETS2 June. Just had a message live on GO .. not sure correct format of url but getting new dashboard message . IHD does not have the tarrif info .. any advice ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
It should update at midnight if you press GO today. I would be interested to know how you get on with online billing as after 8 weeks my online account is a complete mess.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We use washing machine on day rate, but have tumble dryer come on at 0030 as that uses far more electric. We also delay dishwasher to the 4 hour slot.

Overall we are achieving 40% use in those 4 hours, but the bulk of that is charging the Zoe. As the Evezy car had free charging we rarely charged that at home and OH has been charging Model 3 at her golf club :)
The tumble dryer is the one appliance I'm hesitant to use overnight due to the increased fire risk (compared to other domestic appliances), particularly as a new Hotpoint one I had a couple of years ago would have caught fire on it's very first use if I hadn't been watching it and intervened. The opportunity for 'fluff' to get into the workings (on any manufacturer's model) and combust still seems to be very real despite the attention from the Whirlpool/Hotpoint recalls.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I emailed them stating that I knew of the issues in the North with SMETS2 and would take a SMETS1 if offered. They clearly hadn't read my email as they told me to click the sign up link so they can track my smart meter request which I had already done and even stated in the email
Well, they've just e-mailed me reluctantly offering to fit new SMETS1 meters.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Reading various DCC documents, there was some logic in having separate communication systems. Scotland isn’t that well populated and SMETS2 works on a WAN if there is no line of sight mobile link. In other words, SMETS2 readings are passed around the WAN until a meter than can communicate with the DCC is found.

The layered security protocols for SMETS2 were developed by GCHQ. The major worry was that the security system as originally designed by energy suppliers could, if meters were hacked en masse, result in the remote disconnection of a large number of meters. This, in turn, could cause the type of Grid frequency imbalance that we experienced a couple of weeks ago.

I should add that whilst the suppliers insisted on having remote disconnection - and we are all paying for it - there were only 14 Court Order electricity disconnections in 2017 (Ofgem)
Interesting. I assume the "WAN" refers to signals routed through the power conductors.

Reading the notes suggest that the "bricking" problem might be about generating keypairs during testing, then failing to retain the test public key for installed use, but being unable to repeat the keypair generation for security reasons.

If keypair generation is a one-shot thing, it's all to easy to see how a glitch in the installation process could cause the public key to be lost, and the meter rendered useless.

Logically there ought to be an internal switch on the meter when can be locally operated to allow a new keypair to be generated, and the public key to be transmitted to the DCC.

1601 - 1620 of 1662 Posts
About this Discussion
1.7K Replies
163 Participants
methley
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing