Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1621 - 1640 of 1662 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
It should update at midnight if you press GO today. I would be interested to know how you get on with online billing as after 8 weeks my online account is a complete mess.
Ty went live midnight last night . Still showing url I've put in customer number

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
How long did it take for anyone to get a smart meter from Octopus ? I am 4 months in now and not heard a word about when I might get a smart meter installed. (I am in the south area for smets2 meter installs)

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Yes. I'm not blaming Octopus, but whoever set up the SMETS2 system in the first place. It seems like a typical government IT project failure.

Why, on Earth, should there be a separate system, let alone a different system for different parts of the country? And it's clear that the fundamental design of the SMETS2 metering systems is way too fragile. If it's so easy to brick SMETS2 equipment during installation, it's hard to believe it will be robust in use.

Sounds to me like the security systems must be very badly thought out. If you can brick a meter with QA testing that suggests that the meter locks out, perhaps for good, on authentication failures. That's not just fragile, its a vulnerability to hackers.
It’s Capita who are to blame. It’s hard to believe the industry can balls it up twice in a row.

Also, while the energy suppliers are answerable to their customers, the metering companies such as Energy Assets and SMS Metering do not appear to be answerable to anybody, including the energy companies who must pay them for their services. The number of missed/failed appointments is extraordinary, and must be over 50%.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Also, while the energy suppliers are answerable to their customers, the metering companies such as Energy Assets and SMS Metering do not appear to be answerable to anybody, including the energy companies who must pay them for their services. The number of missed/failed appointments is extraordinary, and must be over 50%.
My installer told me that he had 6 planned installations a day. As my installation took about 4 1/2 hours, there were going to be many missed appointments. I am sure that the suppliers will just pay up in the knowledge that it is their customers who will eventually foot the final bill in the form of higher electricity charges.

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
The tumble dryer is the one appliance I'm hesitant to use overnight due to the increased fire risk (compared to other domestic appliances), particularly as a new Hotpoint one I had a couple of years ago would have caught fire on it's very first use if I hadn't been watching it and intervened. The opportunity for 'fluff' to get into the workings (on any manufacturer's model) and combust still seems to be very real despite the attention from the Whirlpool/Hotpoint recalls.
I would be more worried about running tumble dryer and leaving house! We have fire door to where it is and linked smoke detection so am happy to run at 0030. We are usually only just in bed, or sometimes later!

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
so I am now charging up when the battery gets down to 33% instead of 20%
Wow 20% was low. I guess no risk you might need to do a longer journey at short notice or have an ICE you can use? I charge mine if less than 110 miles as I may need to go to Birmingham office at short notice, so 4 hours on Go works fine most days.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anyone leasing a car with Octopus and getting the free off-peak electricity? If so do they credit your account each month with a fixed £ of credit? I have a quote from Octopus for the Leaf N-Connecta 40kWh. The quote states "8000 free miles included (off-peak @5p/kWh)". I'm not even sure that would apply to me as im on Agile. Quote says PCH, so I assume there is no option to extend?

·
Registered
65 Posts
How long did it take for anyone to get a smart meter from Octopus ? I am 4 months in now and not heard a word about when I might get a smart meter installed. (I am in the south area for smets2 meter installs)
I joined Octopus around mid June, I had a meter install for 2nd August but that got cancelled on the day. Rebooked appointment for 20th August went ahead, smets2 fitted. Still waiting to move over to the Go tariff though. I'm in the Oxford area, as was the smart meter engineer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve just completed my switch to Octopus Go from Avro and I thought I’d share the timeline of events for my switch to give others an idea of the process. We were previously with Avro Energy and did not have a smart meter installed. I’m in West Yorkshire so as previously stated on the thread no SMETS2 availability so as recommended by Octopus I’ve taken the SMETS1 meter as this seems like the most sensible course of action until the SMETS2 network in the North of England is ready.

08/07/19 - Started switch to Octopus (onto standard tariff)
25/07/19 - Switch to Octopus completed
25/07/19 - Emailed Octopus to ask how I switch to the Go tariff
30/07/19 - Received a response from Octopus telling me to register my interest by visiting https://octopus.energy/go/(felt like a numpty for not realising that)
30/07/19 - Requested switch to Octopus Go via website
16/08/19 - Sent an email to Octopus to ask them when I should receive some information about the switch to Octopus Go
19/08/19 - Received an email stating that I’d be contacted by Octopus’s engineering partners soon to arrange a smart meter installation
22/08/19 - Octopus’s engineering partner called to book smart meter installation, given the choice of two dates (04/09/19 or 06/09/19)
06/09/19 - Electricity Smart meter installed, couldn’t install a gas smart meter as these were out of stock
08/09/19 - Confirmation from Octopus that they are receiving half hourly meter readings and I can now switch to Octopus Go
09/09/19 - Completed switch to Octopus Go

Overall I’ve been very impressed with Octopus, the communication is great and the website is slick and informative.

We should start to see some savings in the coming months just with the usage from our second car (a Zoe) but the main reason for switching is the arrival of a Leaf E+ in November which will be a company car with a 200 mile round trip twice a week (charging at both ends), this will make us an all electric household.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I’ve just completed my switch to Octopus Go from Avro and I thought I’d share the timeline of events for my switch to give others an idea of the process. We were previously with Avro Energy and did not have a smart meter installed. I’m in West Yorkshire so as previously stated on the thread no SMETS2 availability so as recommended by Octopus I’ve taken the SMETS1 meter as this seems like the most sensible course of action until the SMETS2 network in the North of England is ready.

08/07/19 - Started switch to Octopus (onto standard tariff)
25/07/19 - Switch to Octopus completed
25/07/19 - Emailed Octopus to ask how I switch to the Go tariff
30/07/19 - Received a response from Octopus telling me to register my interest by visiting https://octopus.energy/go/(felt like a numpty for not realising that)
30/07/19 - Requested switch to Octopus Go via website
16/08/19 - Sent an email to Octopus to ask them when I should receive some information about the switch to Octopus Go
19/08/19 - Received an email stating that I’d be contacted by Octopus’s engineering partners soon to arrange a smart meter installation
22/08/19 - Octopus’s engineering partner called to book smart meter installation, given the choice of two dates (04/09/19 or 06/09/19)
06/09/19 - Electricity Smart meter installed, couldn’t install a gas smart meter as these were out of stock
08/09/19 - Confirmation from Octopus that they are receiving half hourly meter readings and I can now switch to Octopus Go
09/09/19 - Completed switch to Octopus Go

Overall I’ve been very impressed with Octopus, the communication is great and the website is slick and informative.

We should start to see some savings in the coming months just with the usage from our second car (a Zoe) but the main reason for switching is the arrival of a Leaf E+ in November which will be a company car with a 200 mile round trip twice a week (charging at both ends), this will make us an all electric household.

SMETS1?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
My bad. I was so impressed by the quick timescale that I posted too soon. It does though show that when a supplier is in full control of all the elements: that is, meter installation; direct receipt of meter readings etc that things can happen quickly. I have been told by Octopus that SMETS2 problem solving is being made more difficult by GDPR. Presumably, with the number of parties involved, no entity has complete technical oversight where personal data is involved.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My bad. I was so impressed by the quick timescale that I posted too soon. It does though show that when a supplier is in full control of all the elements: that is, meter installation; direct receipt of meter readings etc that things can happen quickly. I have been told by Octopus that SMETS2 problem solving is being made more difficult by GDPR. Presumably, with the number of parties involved, no entity has complete technical oversight where personal data is involved.
Don't worry about it I missed it first time round as well. Working day 14 tomorrow for me in the North since asking for a new meter so will be requesting an update and will once again state that I would take a SMETS1 if offered

·
The best there is at what I do
10,482 Posts
I'm in the same boat, emailed them a couple of weeks ago and got this reply:

Hope you are well

Apologies for the delay in reply

Your details have been sent over to the meter operator now and you will be contacted shortly

unfortuntely there has been a delay this was due to the roll of smets 2 meters just being a little more tricky than we thought,

Many Thanks

David

Looks like there are problems with the SMETS2 meter roll out:

1621 - 1640 of 1662 Posts
About this Discussion
1.7K Replies
163 Participants
methley
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing