Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1961 - 1964 of 1964 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the purposes of future thread following, might I suggest that posters annotate their posts with SMETS 1 or 2. The IHDs supplied with the two meter specifications are different. For example, I have a SMETS2 meter and Chameleon IHD, and I am on Octopus Energy’s Agile tariff with 30 minute tariff changes. The IHD only shows an approximate unit price of 10.64p. Actual charges are shown on the statement. I was told by Octopus that the Chameleon IHD cannot be configured for 30 minute time-of-use tariffs. Conversely, I think that I am correct in saying that the IHD can cope with the Go Tariff’s 2 rates.
Well from a quick check on web I have a Chameleon IHD and I do have SMETS 2 meters but I was told (by one of octpus's customer service people - though they are not consistent in what they say) it cannot cope with Go variable rates. I have had since mid-October and, while I can get gas meter readings on the web site the IHD does not show any gas readings - electricity only. It is also stuck on the pre Go tariff and standing charge rate and again I was told this is how it is. I assume this might explain billing problems as it looks as though, for some customers, Octopus are having to calculate and check billing at least partially manually and they are getting it wrong at times. As per my earlier post their marketing spin does not match their IT infrastructure and software.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Well from a quick check on web I have a Chameleon IHD and I do have SMETS 2 meters but I was told (by one of octpus's customer service people - though they are not consistent in what they say) it cannot cope with Go variable rates. I have had since mid-October and, while I can get gas meter readings on the web site the IHD does not show any gas readings - electricity only. It is also stuck on the pre Go tariff and standing charge rate and again I was told this is how it is. I assume this might explain billing problems as it looks as though, for some customers, Octopus are having to calculate and check billing at least partially manually and they are getting it wrong at times. As per my earlier post their marketing spin does not match their IT infrastructure and software.
Octopus has a problem - shared by a number of suppliers if other forums are to be believed - which is that many of the CS staff are not up to speed on smart meter issues. The billing problem that I have is that Octopus fails to get an occasional day’s usage data from the DCC (SMETS2 meter). This stops the automatic billing process. I would also agree that Octopus does have IHD issues. I understand these are managed by a third party. I cannot say that I am that bothered: the key thing for me is that Octopus is getting smart meter usage data for both electricity and gas. When I was on GO, I was able to check my bill with a 99p App called Meters. All it required was the two tariff rates, and the R1 and R2 readings from the actual meter. Agile is more complicated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Morning All - new to this forum having found it in last few days as part of on-going search for others issues on EV's and, in partic, Octopus Go tariff. For what its worth I am less than impressed with Octopus. Started the process of switching to Go tariff back in July 2019. Initial switch ok but after that delays, poor comms, lies from supplier. At one point 3 weeks after install of smart meters but with no gas readings etc etc was told by them I didnt have a gas meter when they had installed the new one a few weeks before.

They seem to have multiple left hands and right hands that do not know what each other is saying/doing. Having worked until recently (now retired) in companies that gobbled up other companies as they grow am well aware of the usual issues on trying to operate with multiple billing systems etc etc - looks like Octopus are going through this issue themselves and even if staffed up to cope with complaint volumes they get stuffed by the multiple, disconnected systems issues. How they got high marks for service ill never know.

IHD does not show true electriciity costings, does not show gas readings at all, have been told "cannot cope with dual charge rates". Latest, latest, as per Alan Robinson, got 4 bills at once to cover off various rates since joined and the Octopus Go one has just given me double charges for the same period - 405 KWH at day rate and another 405 KWH at night rate for same period. Am now awaiting a response (has taken a week or so to get a reply up to now). Interested to hear what reasons/excuses then give to Alan Robinson re his bill once he gets a reply.

If asked I could not, in all honesty, recommend them to anyone at the mo. EV rate looks great on paper (on screen) but reality not good........
So my bill is completely screwed up.

I used 404kWh during the month. By my calculations - 402kWh during the night and 2kWh during the day (I have a Tesla powerwall and solar, the powerwall charged during the cheap night rate and uses it thoughout the day, topping itself up from solar when it can during the winter). This is what the half hourly usage on their website shows too.

The bill originally came in at 202kwh during the day, and 202kwh during the night rates. The usage was just duplicated night/day.

This is wrong and octopus agreed it was wrong and said they’d rebill me.

The new bill showed 280kwh during the day, and 124kwh during the night rate (correct total kWh - just wrong time split).

Still wrong.

But my meter reading matches exactly the kwh-age as billed - except the time split is wrong.

I also only have one rate now on my meter (both on the ihd and the meter itself) whereas I used to have two (day / night) on both.

They’ve mailed saying the bill is 100% wrong and are doing their best to sort it out.

I’ll wait and see! I’m not tight - the whole bill is only £39 - but it’s the principle. I calculate it should be around £21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
It's starting to look like I made the correct decision by giving Octoprats a swerve. Even in this limited population in a car forum, I am reading a catalogue of maladministration, delay, and general incompetence. Many are in a limbo of a lack of contact over meter installation, accurate readings and totally inaccurate billing. Some wait months on a higher tariff than they applied for due to the inability to apply the correct tariff in a timely fashion. And as I say, we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg in here. Such people should at least be demanding compensation - and if it's not forthcoming check google for how to lodge a small claim case against them. And all this to save five pence on a bill.

1961 - 1964 of 1964 Posts