Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Octopus energy GO EV tariff

297K views 3K replies 234 participants last post by  burnt_crisps2 
#1 ·
Interested in swapping to the new EV specific octopus energy GO tariff anyone on this tariff is it any good? Opinions please. I did email them and asked for details but they never replied I have just changed to Bulb but the 5p kWh for 4 hours is tempting on octopus.
Thanks

#3 ·
It is hard to get information out of them. I’ve just switched and have a smart meter installation booked for mid-August. Overnight 5p tariff is 12-4am. Rest of the day is 13.8p, standing charge 25p. Although I think there may be a pending price rise. We’ve got two EVs so should work well for us.

#4 ·
My concern would be trying to fit charging an EV into the 4 hour slot. Fine for an older one most of the time, but I'd be dubious about anything with a 40kWh battery and above. Plus any pre-conditioning - and I did a lot last winter - would be into peak tariff time.

#5 ·
I've switched to the standard tariff pending a smart meter install on 25 July. So I'll let you know how I get on after that, for me 24 kw of juice (or 80% of the Soul's battery capacity) for £1.20 is a bit of a no brainier. The standing charge and standard rate were in line with my old supplier, and while not the most competitive in the market was an all round good deal for a 100% renewable supply. There should be no need for a Zappi as long as your EV has the ability to set charge times.

Reactions: Sparky54
#6 ·
I have a new leaf 40 and i have tested the charge timer and it works well 4 hours is enough for me as I charge at work for free (but only using the granny) so a top up at night is all I need. Did anyone swap there gas aswel?

#12 ·
Nobody is installing SMETS2 meters yet; they were meant to be coming in October, but I gather that date is looking unlikely now.

This is a bit sad but we've just moved out of a house with smart meters to one without and I'm feeling a bit lost having very little idea how much energy we're using with what...

#1,292 ·
Just read the old meter on a daily basis as that works for me. I have a smart meter fitted for elec and water (no gas here) and read them manually as the mobile signal is semi pants most of the time. Enter into a spreadsheet and manipulate to your requirements.

#17 ·
Agreed I do 100 a day to work and back but charge at work so the most I need is 50 and I don't even bother to change every night just another form of range anxiety can't see many actually needing more than 4hrs a night.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Is this fact? the info on there site states you don't need a zappi obviously if your car doesn't have the timer facility the charger would need to control the charge time at the right time then a zappi would be needed to automate the process I think the four hours are going to be fixed because peak usage time is evening up to midnight that doesn't leave much time to squeeze in 4hours before morning peak again. Surely the quietest usage time is 12 till 4am therefore the cheapest time.

#22 ·
A word of warning. In theory, if you fit a 'smart meter' then you are no longer eligible for deemed export on your solar system. This was a change sneaked in by the government in the last FIT changes. They were challenged on it at a solar industry event yesterday and they are aware of the problem whereby the current smart meters don't properly record export so how are you meant to claim it?! I, for one, will not be installing one until this is sorted out.

#23 ·
That sound's bad - now I've got a battery I've virtually stopped exporting.

#24 ·
To clarify a few things I emailed octopus this is there reply.

Thanks for getting in touch, it's great to hear that you are interested in our Go tariff!

Yes - the off-peak times for the go tariff are 00:30 - 04:30 (unit rate: 5p/kWh, standing charge: 25p/kWh). The prices are fixed for 12 months.

It is not mandatory to have a Zappi charger in order to use the Go tariff. We have, however, partnered with MyEnergi so the Zappi charger is available to Go tariff users for £359.

The Go tariff is available as both a dual fuel or electricity only tariff

We are currently not installing SMETS2 meters. This is due to delays in the project, deriving primarily from government conditions that demanded improvements to the security software. As this is a national industry-led project, it is difficult to put a definitive date when this we be rolled out. However, we hope that this will be in early 2019. Instead we are offering our customers Liberty Secure Smart meters, and these are compatible with the Go tariff.

I have attached a link to the terms and conditions on our website:Terms and Conditions | Octopus Energy

I hope this answers your questions clearly, however, if you have any more or want anything clarified, please get in touch.

Kind regards,
Charlie

Introducing Octopus Go: The energy tariff designed just for EV drivers | Octopus Energy

#26 ·
Sorry don't understand the missprint comment?
Daytime rates are.
Unit rate:13.45 p/kWh Standing charge:25.00 p/day
Which is 1p more per kWh than bulb my current supplier and 0.5p more standing charge.
I have solar (rent roof so don't get a FIT payment ) so my daytime usage in low most of the time.
I have also questioned the Zappi price before or after OLEV as I already have a podpoint installed and already claimed the grant but that price seems a good deal for a zappi if I can get it for that price.

#27 ·
And this came back from them if it helps anyone.

Hi Paul,

Not a stupid question at all! The cost of £359 is after the OLEV grant has been applied. As you have already received the grant before I am unaware whether it can be applied again. I would advise contacting them regarding this:

Grant schemes for electric vehicle charging infrastructure.

With regards to whether the installation could be cheaper as you already have the Pod Point, again, I would recommend speaking to them should you want to proceed with having the Zappi charger installed.

Apologies I can't be of great assistance at present. Please get in touch if you have any other questions regarding the tariff!

Kind regards,
Charlie

#28 ·
Doesn't sound like a deal on the Zappi. £350 installed after the grant is a normal price from what I've seen on here a few months back. I paid slightly less but ran the cable myself and had two installed the same day.

If the timer in the car is reliable then there would be no need for a Zappi.
4 hours would be tight though, the Leaf often shows more than 4hrs to 100% charge and the timer on that wouldn't be accurate enough. I use the end time and it's always finished way before the time I set.
The e-Golf is better as that has the 7kWh charger, but it would still take slightly over 4hrs if the battery was very low, and that only takes 35kWh to fully charge (that's with losses before anyone comments). The new Leaf must take 5+ hours.

#29 ·
For my application I don't fully charge every night as I like to squeeze as much free electric out of my employer as I can. If I charge to 100% at night
When I plug in at work after 5hrs I am back up to pretty much full again the last few % on the granny takes a long time leaving 2.5 hours of waisted charge time so I just top up an hour or so at home.Most time's I start Monday with about 95% ish drive to work 47miles a roads charge 7.5hrs drive home and back without changing again 7.5hrs charge, home again then I do a timed charge for 2hrs repeat again till Friday. I have worked out that I loose 10% a day like this so the charge on Wednesday is to keep my safety net of 50miles in case I can't change at work or I finish early.

#37 ·
A word of warning. In theory, if you fit a 'smart meter' then you are no longer eligible for deemed export on your solar system. This was a change sneaked in by the government in the last FIT changes. They were challenged on it at a solar industry event yesterday and they are aware of the problem whereby the current smart meters don't properly record export so how are you meant to claim it?! I, for one, will not be installing one until this is sorted out.
This seems like a rumour, unless you have something in writing?

I asked Octopus about this when exploring tariffs and was told that while the smart meter records export they don't do anything with the data as they are not a FiT payer and my existing FiT billing company will continue deemed export. This applies to all systems under 30kW.

#38 ·
Um...talking about powerwalls.
a powerwall can now pull 5kwh from the grid on demand.
Easily enough to full the battery.
My entire use is about 10Kwh
plus 15kwh for the cars.
25p SC

total £1.75 a day max.

wow!
is my maths right here?

#41 ·
It would make batteries for existing installs even harder to justify financially. I'm hoping that the price will come down low enough to make it worth while soon. If the vat came down to 5% on battery installs that would help as well.
If the export was measured it would take even longer for it to be cost effective.
It's cheaper to let the grid deal with the balancing and just carry on exporting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.