Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am looking to move to octopus and charge on the e7 times , I haven’t got E7 at the moment so when filling in the online quote it asks what you have ! Do I say I have and get the new smart meter from them then use ?? Not easy no one to talk to it seems?

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is issues with them issuing smart meters at the moment, SMETS2 is taking a long time and even then they don’t always work easily, who is your current supplier? If it is one of the big 6 you may be better of getting them to install a SMETS2 and then switch to octopus this is what I done, switch onto their standard tariff, sign up to go straight after and once they can read your data from your smets2 you are good, took about 3 days after switching before I was on Go.

Not to sound like a broken record but if you think I have been helpful you can use my referral link in my signature and we both get £50 credit.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Hi all I am looking to move to octopus and charge on the e7 times , I haven’t got E7 at the moment so when filling in the online quote it asks what you have ! Do I say I have and get the new smart meter from them then use ?? Not easy no one to talk to it seems?
To get Octopus Go, you have to switch to an Octopus tariff and then apply for a smart meter. Getting a smart meter may take some months and, once installed, you will have to wait for over a month for the National Database to be updated and a new online account to be set up. You also have to agree to 30 minute updating. I first contacted Octopus (as an existing customer) about Go in late 2018; my smart meters were installed last month and I am still waiting to switch to Go.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Where do you live. If you live north of birmingham, there are no dates for smet 2 installs as there is a issue industry wide. Only current way to get to go tarriff is to get a smet 1 meter, at least then you can switch to go tariff. You need to ask octopus rather than wait for them to ask you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
To get Octopus Go, you have to switch to an Octopus tariff and then apply for a smart meter. Getting a smart meter may take some months and, once installed, you will have to wait for over a month for the National Database to be updated and a new online account to be set up. You also have to agree to 30 minute updating. I first contacted Octopus (as an existing customer) about Go in late 2018; my smart meters were installed last month and I am still waiting to switch to Go.
Experiences vary.

I signed up to Octopus earlier this year and straight away said I'd accept a SMETS1 meter if they couldn't provide a SMETS2. Took about 5 weeks to install, then within a week I was up and running on Go.

Key thing is, speak with them (phone/Twitter/email) and things will move much quicker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
9 Participants
Neil Jones
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing