Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an EV and Solar panels AND currently getting paid for both generating electricity and exporting?

I'm in that situation and looked at Octopus Energy as I was interested in their 4 hour charging for 5p kWh tariff. I've asked whether it's possible to get paid for exporting electricity AND get that 4 hour cheap charging and I can't get a clear answer out of them. They seem to be suggesting I can have one or the other.

In my case I also have a Tesla Powerwall 2 which is usually 100% full every day and runs my house at night. If I plug my car in at night then it drains the Tesla battery and finishes charging by taking power from the grid.
So what I want to do is use the charging schedule to only drain 50% of my Powerwall in the early evening and then finish charging at the 5p kwh rate over night AND still get paid for exporting spare electricity. If I can do that then I'd be charging my car for practically free from March to November

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,874 Posts
Octopus do not allow you to have Octopus GO and their export (outgoing) tariff.

You can however have your export tariff with another company.

E.g Octopus Go for import. Bulb for export payments.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Octopus do not allow you to have Octopus GO and their export (outgoing) tariff.

You can however have your export tariff with another company.

E.g Octopus Go for import. Bulb for export payments.

View attachment 134736
I didn't know I could mix and match.
That means I can leave my export with my current supplier nPower and switch my electricity to Octopus Go.
I'll contact nPower first to make sure.
Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,335 Posts
Yes Octopus pay you export tariff. Their SEG payment is 5p/kWh assuming you have MCS certified installation

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
591 Posts
I didn't know I could mix and match.
That means I can leave my export with my current supplier nPower and switch my electricity to Octopus Go.
I'll contact nPower first to make sure.
Thanks for the quick response.
Yep. I export my solar via Green Energy uk and import via Octopus go Tarriff. No battery storage yet though. I would have thought in the winter months Nov-Feb you would top up the powerwall to full @ 5p from Octopus Go 12.30am-4.30am and use that leccy from 4.31am to sun up and during the day when the weather is rubbish and no solar generation so you are paying 5pkwh rather than the 13p+ day rate?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
What happens to your FIT payments if you opt to go for an export tariff?

·
jim5452
171 Posts
<<<<For those who had Solar fitted before FIT closed, you can opt out of deemed export and still receive your generation FIT.>>>

Now I am trying to get my head around that, why would anyone want to do that, we had panels fitted in 2011 and use almost all our generation except for a few times in summer.
I can only think of people who do not use timers, smart switches and are absent for long periods

·
Registered
Peugeot e-2008 GT-LINE
92 Posts
Does anyone have an EV and Solar panels AND currently getting paid for both generating electricity and exporting?

I'm in that situation and looked at Octopus Energy as I was interested in their 4 hour charging for 5p kWh tariff. I've asked whether it's possible to get paid for exporting electricity AND get that 4 hour cheap charging and I can't get a clear answer out of them. They seem to be suggesting I can have one or the other.

In my case I also have a Tesla Powerwall 2 which is usually 100% full every day and runs my house at night. If I plug my car in at night then it drains the Tesla battery and finishes charging by taking power from the grid.
So what I want to do is use the charging schedule to only drain 50% of my Powerwall in the early evening and then finish charging at the 5p kwh rate over night AND still get paid for exporting spare electricity. If I can do that then I'd be charging my car for practically free from March to November
How about switch to agile and then use your power wall to power house at peak time when expensive unit rate and then use cheap/negative rate to charge car and powerwall after that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about switch to agile and then use your power wall to power house at peak time when expensive unit rate and then use cheap/negative rate to charge car and powerwall after that.
I'll look into that.

I did the math a few years ago against economy 7 and found it was far cheaper to just let the Powerwall charge up from solar and get free electricity rather than have it charge with cheap electricity overnight. On average during the year I'm 75% self sufficient. The percentage drops from December to February. From April to September I'm 100% self sufficient and don't use the grid at all.

However all that's changed now I have a full EV hence why I'm looking at this Octopus thing. I'll have to read up on agile and run a few scenarios.

·
Registered
91 Posts
<<<<For those who had Solar fitted before FIT closed, you can opt out of deemed export and still receive your generation FIT.>>>

Now I am trying to get my head around that, why would anyone want to do that, we had panels fitted in 2011 and use almost all our generation except for a few times in summer.
I can only think of people who do not use timers, smart switches and are absent for long periods
I was one of the last people to get FIT and it's pretty low - about 4.5p a unit. However it's guaranteed for 25 years and goes up with inflation so I'm not opting out of it. I use most of my electricity and still get paid for generating it regardless of whether I use it or not. I use Good Energy for my FIT payments and use Octopus Go for the supply as well as using my zappi which charges off surplus solar when I'm in so don't export much at all

·
1,874 Posts

We still use gas for heating and I charge my car overnight, so sometimes export close to 90%, e.g. yesterday.

·
1,874 Posts
I was one of the last people to get FIT and it's pretty low - about 4.5p a unit. However it's guaranteed for 25 years and goes up with inflation so I'm not opting out of it. I use most of my electricity and still get paid for generating it regardless of whether I use it or not. I use Good Energy for my FIT payments and use Octopus Go for the supply as well as using my zappi which charges off surplus solar when I'm in so don't export much at all
You still get the generation FIT.

Also just fyi, FIT is 20 years for anyone who signed up after ~2012, 25 years for those who signed up before.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You still get the generation FIT.

Also just fyi, FIT is 20 years for anyone who signed up after ~2012, 25 years for those who signed up before.
What???? NOOOOOOOOO. Oh damn. Hadn't noticed that in my documents. I'll have to go and check but I'm sure you're correct.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What???? NOOOOOOOOO. Oh damn. Hadn't noticed that in my documents. I'll have to go and check but I'm sure you're correct.
Yes it's 20 years but the rate goes up in line with inflation. I'm getting 5.5p for export and a 4.5p for generation. The generation payment ceased in 2019 for new installations.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Ampera, 2012 Electron
132 Posts
I do things a bit differently.
I have 4KW of solar
19KWh of house batteries
A small PHEV - although I have an eNiro on order
My house uses a lot of electricity - parasitic rate of around 1KW per hour

I am on the 50+p / unit FIT rate + 50% deemed export. I actually export very little
I am on Octopus Go Faster @ 5.5p/unit
I have a basic Chargemaster EVSE

Car charges during the cheap rate only.
Batteries charge during the cheap rate to as much as they can hold (during the summer I reduce the max grid charge)
During the day any solar is:
1. Used by the house
2. Charges the batteries
[3. Not yet - but will charge the car - if it can take any charge]. Need to change the Chargemaster first
4. Export to grid

I don't export a lot!!

Sean

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do things a bit differently.
I have 4KW of solar
19KWh of house batteries
A small PHEV - although I have an eNiro on order
My house uses a lot of electricity - parasitic rate of around 1KW per hour

I am on the 50+p / unit FIT rate + 50% deemed export. I actually export very little
I am on Octopus Go Faster @ 5.5p/unit
I have a basic Chargemaster EVSE

Car charges during the cheap rate only.
Batteries charge during the cheap rate to as much as they can hold (during the summer I reduce the max grid charge)
During the day any solar is:
1. Used by the house
2. Charges the batteries
[3. Not yet - but will charge the car - if it can take any charge]. Need to change the Chargemaster first
4. Export to grid

I don't export a lot!!

Sean
Very nice. I export tons. Use very little during the day. Powerwall is full just after lunchtime. Usage goes up when I play call of duty on my PS4 :) and occasionally when the wife puts the washing machine on. However that will change now that I have a full EV but the EV will charge mostly at night. Still trying to figure out the best combination of solar, battery and EV charging. So many variables!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts