Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if your aware, now that you've moved to EV, like myself a Kia e-Niro 4+, what a great car :)

Octopus energy do some great rates for charging your car at night, its only 5.00p per kw (between 00:30 to 04:30), not sure what your day rate will be, mines 13.45p (East Anglia), which is a lot cheaper than my previous energy provider SSE.

If your interested and you click on the link below you would receive a £50 credit to your account, that's 1000kw of energy at 5.00p of free motoring. That's almost 16 full charges at 282 miles, approximate 4500 miles.

Octopus Energy

Also there's no fixed term so you can move at anytime, if a better deal comes available.

The above information is based on the Octopus GO tariff. ;)

To get this deal you will need to have a smart meter. If you don’t have one, one can be installed by Octopus Energy when joining, or your current energy provider before moving.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If anyone can find a better deal please let me know, If you wonder what the rates have been in the past this is a good site to check the OCTOPUS AGILE tariff
www.energy-stats.uk/
Totally depends on your usage patterns and, with Agile, external factors affecting pricing. Right now Agile is incredibly expensive on average but usually relatively cheap.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
2,828 Posts
Yesterday was my most expensive day on Agile since switching to it, but the average price for yesterday still wasn’t a huge amount higher than many typical tariff rates. (And we didn’t really help ourselves by doing a lot of cooking before 7pm).

Overall average is currently still under 9p.

·
Registered
551 Posts
At the end of the day(perhaps should be year) what matters is the average cost ?ppKWh over the year
Absolutely. A lot of people here reckon they get under 10p/kWh over the year with Agile, which is cheaper than anything else available, but it still depends on usage patterns. If you have an EV (likely on this forum :p), work from home during the day, and do some of your cooking at lunchtime, you're very likely to benefit from Agile. If you don't have an EV and are only at home in the evenings, you're probably not going to benefit from Agile.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
805 Posts
I’m seriously considering going for Octopus Go. I’ve seen the tariff and it’s ok but standing charges are higher than I’m currently paying. I’m presently with Npower but frankly I’m sick of their general unbelievable incompetence. Also now they are being taken over by Eon so who knows what may happen in the transition. This takeover means I can (theoretically at least) switch now without any contract exit penalty.

I'm just wondering do most of you guys using Octopus also get your gas from them too? I could switch just my electricity or maybe both. I already have SMETS2 smart meters but thus far Npower failed miserably to get my gas to be read remotely (I’ve given up after multiple service calls etc) but the electricity remote readings are working fine. The in home display works some of the time but is unbelievably unreliable. How well did the switch over process go? Any info or advice welcome. Thanks.
Peter

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
2,828 Posts
Hi @prawlin - I get gas via Octopus too, and the switch process for me went very smoothly, but I remember I had a few question about the process before it completed. I was in email contact with the CEO and then the chap in charge of metering - I doubt you get that level of customer service at EoNpower!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Absolutely. A lot of people here reckon they get under 10p/kWh over the year with Agile, which is cheaper than anything else available, but it still depends on usage patterns. If you have an EV (likely on this forum :p), work from home during the day, and do some of your cooking at lunchtime, you're very likely to benefit from Agile. If you don't have an EV and are only at home in the evenings, you're probably not going to benefit from Agile.
I've only been on Agile since 4th June so can't comment on a full year but FWIW, my average ppu since then has been 7.3. Even the last couple of days were only just above 14ppu.

Can't see it happening but even if my average ppu for next 6 months increases to 14, that's still only an average of 10.6

·
Registered
304 Posts
Agile is miles better than Go for our usage, £10-20 a month cheaper on average. And thats despite lots of charging! The big deal is when we do a 200-230 mi run in the eniro and need to do same next day -> that massively makes Go less of a good deal, as you overpaying effectively past hour 4 on a 9-10 hour charge. (Our issue at moment is we make HEAVY use of car on weekends to visit things far away for walks, and do that all weekend most weekends as it's a fun thing to do in lockdown). The important thing with Agile is minimising use of dishwasher/dryers etc 4-7pm, but we cook in peak, makes no odds.

Ref Gas, I get gas from Octopus on a fixed rate tariff of about 2.4p per Kwh, it's more to get a fixed rate right now as my parents found last week wehn they switched. The tracker tariff is apparently good too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi @prawlin - I get gas via Octopus too, and the switch process for me went very smoothly, but I remember I had a few question about the process before it completed. I was in email contact with the CEO and then the chap in charge of metering - I doubt you get that level of customer service at EoNpower!
Would you be willing to share the contact details of Octopus's CEO and their chap in charge of metering? My switch to Octopus was handled very well by Octopus but then the switch to Smart meters has not gone well.

·
Registered
304 Posts
twitter.com/g__j is the ceo, he has his email on his profile, but will respond to a mention in tweets AIUI. Phil (forget) surname is the smart metering guy, just tweet greg he'll put you in touch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Likewise regards Smart Meters. I feel duped to be honest. Been 7 weeks since swapping to Octopus and no sign of a Smart meter soon. You can't get in a queue. Absolutely no indication of how long it will be.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
[email protected] should get you to Phil's team without overloading his personal email account.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I’m seriously considering going for Octopus Go. I’ve seen the tariff and it’s ok but standing charges are higher than I’m currently paying. I’m presently with Npower but frankly I’m sick of their general unbelievable incompetence. Also now they are being taken over by Eon so who knows what may happen in the transition. This takeover means I can (theoretically at least) switch now without any contract exit penalty.

I'm just wondering do most of you guys using Octopus also get your gas from them too? I could switch just my electricity or maybe both. I already have SMETS2 smart meters but thus far Npower failed miserably to get my gas to be read remotely (I’ve given up after multiple service calls etc) but the electricity remote readings are working fine. The in home display works some of the time but is unbelievably unreliable. How well did the switch over process go? Any info or advice welcome. Thanks.
Peter
Hi @prawlin, we use Octopus for both. Switched to GO, but whilst we were waiting for all the Smart stuff to get sorted, we went onto the ’Tracker’ tariff. This takes the daily market rate plus a small amount for admin & margin. It’s worked out the cheapest gas we’ve had for years. It’s a bit more expensive now than it was in the summer, but still competitive. Octopus will transfer you onto any current tariff with a call, changing over at midnight, so it’s easy to swap around if you hunk a fixed rate would be better. They tend to offer a limited sign up choice, but if you search their site for current tariffs, many are available to existing customers. We stayed on the Gas tracker when we moved to GO for the electricity.

You will be probably aware that there’s a £50 joining account credit if you use one of the links many of us have in our signatures.

GO has been brilliant for us, we moved dishwashing and laundry to the overnight low cost period and so far all our electricity bills have averaged less than 10p per kWh overall.

Reactions: prawlin

·
Registered
805 Posts
Thanks to everyone who has replied. I’m in no rush as I have free 50kW rapid charging right until November next year! However, I might as well switch ASAP. Go will be just fine for me. I don’t do big miles as am retired. So 4 hrs a day, coupled with the decent capacity battery on the Eniro will be much more than I will ever need. Also have solar roof so when sun shines lots in summer I will be using that sometimes on a slow 2kW charge rate.

I'll just do a bit more research on the gas tariffs then will probably switch both fuels quite soon.
Thanks again.

Peter

Reactions: Spike

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ok so I’ve ordered the switch for gas and lecky. I can’t get out of Npowers utter dysfunctionality fast enough! They just sent me an email yesterday.....'Login to see your new bill'. I did and last new bill was September! That was the last nudge I needed. They really are unbelievably bad. Everything they do goes wrong.

The process so far with Octopus seems like a breath of fresh air. Everything about it seems good, clear, efficient, open and friendly. Just hope ruddy Npower don’t cock everything up before they finally release me. I’m fully expecting something to go wrong :rolleyes:
Thanks again
Peter

1 - 20 of 140 Posts