Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
Given Octopus cannot even give me an estimate for how long I'd have to wait for a smart meter, I'm moving to a new tariff with Symbio. 20p/day, 10.28p/kWh. Variable so could go up but fine for now while I wait for either company to have more reassuring news regarding smart meters.

Bit odd really as I switched gas to SSE a couple of weeks ago and they cannot wait to book me in for a smart meter upgrade (which I agreed to as the condensation on our current meter is so bad I can no longer read it).
Interesting, and that is a very cheap tariff too!
To the best of my knowledge, I didn鈥檛 think you could just have just a gas smart meter fitted unless you also have an electric one as well? I may be wrong but I believe the SMETS2 smart gas meters run on an internal battery intended to last 10 years. I believe they can only achieve this because the built in radio data link is super low power and so only has a limited comms range of a few metres. I understand that the SMETS2 gas meter sends its data to the nearby SMETS2 lecky meter which then acts as a hub or range booster. Then relaying the data back to the national DCC network. Obviously the lecky meter has no such low power battery only datalink limitations, plenty of power is available.

So I will be interested to see if that gas smart meter only install can happen without a lecky meter smart upgrade as well. If it does happen then clearly I鈥檝e got something a bit wrong here.
Cheers
Peter

Registered
Interesting, and that is a very cheap tariff too!
To the best of my knowledge, I didn鈥檛 think you could just have just a gas smart meter fitted unless you also have an electric one as well? I may be wrong but I believe the SMETS2 smart gas meters run on an internal battery intended to last 10 years. I believe they can only achieve this because the built in radio data link is super low power and so only has a limited comms range of a few metres. I understand that the SMETS2 gas meter sends its data to the nearby SMETS2 lecky meter which then acts as a hub or range booster. Then relaying the data back to the national DCC network. Obviously the lecky meter has no such low power battery only datalink limitations, plenty of power is available.

So I will be interested to see if that gas smart meter only install can happen without a lecky meter smart upgrade as well. If it does happen then clearly I鈥檝e got something a bit wrong here.
Cheers
Peter
I did ask SSE previously if they'd provide me with an electricity smart meter also and they said no, because I don't have electricity with them. Their online portal is littered with messages asking for customers to book in a smart meter install so I just went through that. At no point was I asked if I already had an electricity smart meter, or whether I wanted just a gas one or both. I guess I'll find out if you're right next week if the installer either goes "can't do it mate" or "we'll have to upgrade both". It'd be weird if they did upgrade both because then I'd have a smart electricity meter which is connected to no provider. Would it even work with Octopus in the future if that's the case? o_O

What I'm also curious about is whether the installer will include a WiFi module for the IHD or if they'll even know what that is. AFAIK it's the only way to access your own usage data unless your provider supplies their own API (like Octopus does). If they don't include one I'll certainly be complaining as I want to integrate the data into my existing home automation systems.

Registered
I believe that all smart meters now being installed must be SMETS2 type. So that means they should be compatible with Octopus or any other supplier going forwards. It will be interesting to hear what happens in your case anyway. Thanks.

Sorry I've no knowledge of any WiFi modules for the IHD. That鈥檚 something new to me. I do know that my meters use Zigbee to communicate with each other and the IHD. The useable range of the IHD is crap. I have it located in the kitchen within less than 2 metres of both meters, yet still it drops out frequently. It won鈥檛 work at all in the lounge and my house is very small! The entire smart metering saga hasn鈥檛 been well implemented unfortunately, and it鈥檚 cost billions. SMETS2 was intended to fix everything that SMETS1 failed at, but that doesn鈥檛 seem to be the case unfortunately.
Good luck!
Peter

Registered
They wouldn't give me an ETA on smart meter installation either. I've been trying for around 5 Years now to get a smart meter from several suppliers but still haven't got one. I have a back injury and struggle to get to the Electricity meter to read it. I've had various excuses including, "we're not in your area" and "We don't have to install until 2021". I don't want to risk 6-12 Months on a higher rate whilst waiting for the Go tariff which may not still be available when they finally get around to fitting a smart meter.

Registered
@DragonQ After thinking a bit more about your case, maybe they will replace both meters? (If they are even allowed to). SMETS2 meters all connect into the same DCC national data network, irrespective of who the supplier currently is. The various energy sellers then link into DCC to communicate with the meters. So maybe even though your lecky is from someone else, they can still do it? Obviously they (or you even?) would have to formally notify your lecky supplier somehow that the lecky meter has been replaced in order to track the meter reading changeover.

I suggest as a precaution against any possible cockups, that you record both meter readings with a couple of photographs on the day prior to them coming. It will be interesting to see what (if anything?) happens.

Peter

Registered
They wouldn't give me an ETA on smart meter installation either. I've been trying for around 5 Years now to get a smart meter from several suppliers but still haven't got one. I have a back injury and struggle to get to the Electricity meter to read it. I've had various excuses including, "we're not in your area" and "We don't have to install until 2021". I don't want to risk 6-12 Months on a higher rate whilst waiting for the Go tariff which may not still be available when they finally get around to fitting a smart meter.
Have you compared your existing tariffs with the Octopus 12M fixed ones I showed in my message from yesterday? How do they compare? Maybe you could switch to Octopus then push them for smart meters? They do seem to be proactive and communicative. Might be your best route to getting smart meters and ultimately the Go Or Agile.

I also know there are some areas that cannot get the DCC network signal at all. This prohibits smart meter installations completely AFAIK. I know someone in exactly that situation, living in a valley shielded from the data signal.
Of course tariff varies by area so you would have to get a quote to confirm.
Peter

Registered
@DragonQ After thinking a bit more about your case, maybe they will replace both meters? (If they are even allowed to). SMETS2 meters all connect into the same DCC national data network, irrespective of who the supplier currently is. The various energy sellers then link into DCC to communicate with the meters. So maybe even though your lecky is from someone else, they can still do it? Obviously they (or you even?) would have to formally notify your lecky supplier somehow that the lecky meter has been replaced in order to track the meter reading changeover.

I suggest as a precaution against any possible cockups, that you record both meter readings with a couple of photographs on the day prior to them coming. It will be interesting to see what (if anything?) happens.

Peter
I certainly plan to take readings beforehand...although I literally can't do that for gas so hopefully the installer can help me with that by removing the glass casing before disconnecting it.

One of the reasons I kinda doubt that they can swap the electricity meter is Symbio not being aware of the change. Even if I photograph the meter before and after the switch over they might still cock the bills up lol - they already have for this month's bill!

Registered

Peter
That鈥檚 precisely what I鈥檝e done started on the fixed, then moved to the tracker whilst waiting to be put on the Go tariff. Progress is shown in the account overview.

Registered
Anyone with Octopus that has a variable direct debit? Ie you pay the exact amount you have used each month/quarter and never in debit or credit? I know they allow you to pay in full upon receipt of bill but that has to be done manually.

Registered
MG5 EV / Zoe ZE50 R135
Anyone with Octopus that has a variable direct debit? Ie you pay the exact amount you have used each month/quarter and never in debit or credit? I know they allow you to pay in full upon receipt of bill but that has to be done manually.
Yes, you can set the payment via the webpages, albeit not via the App. My initial payment was way over the top and hence revised significantly downward but since I've acquired an EV (and soon another) I've had to revise the payment upwards. Still cheap as most of the electricity consumption of the house is in the 5p/kWh period (courtesy of a battery storage system which was charged fully by PV but not so much now ... ) and the gas is the CH and water (mostly) this time of the year.

Registered
Have you compared your existing tariffs with the Octopus 12M fixed ones I showed in my message from yesterday? How do they compare? Maybe you could switch to Octopus then push them for smart meters? They do seem to be proactive and communicative. Might be your best route to getting smart meters and ultimately the Go Or Agile.

I also know there are some areas that cannot get the DCC network signal at all. This prohibits smart meter installations completely AFAIK. I know someone in exactly that situation, living in a valley shielded from the data signal.
Of course tariff varies by area so you would have to get a quote to confirm.
Peter
I've compared the quote received from them for both the fixed and flexible plans and Electricity is around 2p per unit more than my current plan, although I'm not 100% sure what I'm paying as my current supplier (Yorkshire) has stopped trading and I'm being switched to SSE who have yet to inform me of the costs. When they do I may try the Octopus Fexible and switch away again if they can't install a smart meter within a reasonable time scale.

Registered
Nissan LEAF30
SSE as one of the "big 6" have much tighter targets for switching to Smart meters than smaller companies. Use them to fit a SMETS2 then move to Octopus and they'll be able to take it over, avoiding the need for you to wait. There is no tie-in from having a Smart meter fitted - SSE cannot charge you for doing so even if you move the day after it is installed (although I suggest waiting a few days to check it is all working as the process can take up to two weeks).

Registered
Be SURE to tell Octopus you want agile/Go because you have an EV NOW. They seem to priortise people with EV wanting smart meters versus thouse without.
that鈥檚 good advice Starquake.
moved house 1st Dec, contacted Octopus on the 7th Dec telling them of my future EV vehicle, smart meters installed on the 24th Dec.

Registered
Yes, you can set the payment via the webpages, albeit not via the App. My initial payment was way over the top and hence revised significantly downward but since I've acquired an EV (and soon another) I've had to revise the payment upwards. Still cheap as most of the electricity consumption of the house is in the 5p/kWh period (courtesy of a battery storage system which was charged fully by PV but not so much now ... ) and the gas is the CH and water (mostly) this time of the year.
Thanks for the reply, I hope to get a battery storage system at some stage as the costs seem to be coming down.

Registered
Things seem to be going ok since my recent switch to Octopus and then the Go tariff using my SMETS2 meter inherited from Npower. IHD seems to be working and displaying the correct tariff at the correct times of day etc. I can see my previous day usage chart on the website so meter comms seems ok.

Just one oddity though. I seem to keep getting repeated messages sent to the IHD. It shows the message symbol but when I go in to read the several messages, they are all blank, no text. So I delete them to clear the message symbol but they seem to return next day. I never had any messages with Npower. Because I can鈥檛 read them I have no idea what鈥檚 even in them. maybe I need to contact Octopus?

Anyone else had anything like this?

Peter

Registered
I've been struggling with Octopus. Started the switch in Sept when I bought the car but didn't manage to get an install until the 25th November and I'm still waiting for it to connect properly 6 weeks later. All of which means I'm paying almost 15p a unit to charge my car!

Super Moderator
I've been struggling with Octopus. Started the switch in Sept when I bought the car but didn't manage to get an install until the 25th November and I'm still waiting for it to connect properly 6 weeks later. All of which means I'm paying almost 15p a unit to charge my car!
I think mine took from September to March to get installed and connected/talking to the network. It does require some patience....!

Registered

Peter
The meter fitter turned up early and had some useful info. He said:
  • only current providers can change the meters, thus he couldn't change my electricity meter;
  • without an electricity smart meter, he'd have to connect a "receiving unit" to my existing electricity meter for the gas smart meter to communicate with;
  • combining electricity and gas smart meter readings on a single IHD is possible and likely to work with newer devices, but not always, thus some customers end up with two IHDs.
I said since I wasn't that bothered about the gas side of things, I'd rather wait to get the electricity meter changed first to avoid that second box being permanently attached. He was also very surprised that Symbio doesn't offer smart meters. That's what you get with heap and cheerful! :D

Registered
Where do you live, North or South. The meter should have a reading showing the signal strength, press switch b until it shows up.
Just seen your reply. I'm in West Yorkshire (11) and I'll have a look at the meter tomorrow. We're in an urban area but right between a couple of cells in a bit of a dead spot. Should be good enough for the meter to send its stuff though.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts