Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
571 Posts
Just to be slightly pedantic, that’s -30dBm. The minus sign is all important.
It equates to 1uW (micro Watt or a millionth of 1 Watt) of received signal power.
A 30dBm received signal power would be 1 Watt and impossible to achieve unless you were a couple of feet or less away from the transmitter!

Though I’m not familiar with the typical range of values in this specific application, I would say that is a very strong received signal strength. The larger the number the weaker the signal strength is.

Peter

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Ta, what value do other people have?

+10-200.01 10 milliwatts
0-300.001 1 milliwatt
-10-400.0001 100 microwatts
-20-500.00001 10 microwatts
-30-600.000001 1 microwatt
-40-700.0000001 100 nanowatts
-50-800.00000001 10 nanowatts
-60-900.000000001 1 nanowatt

·
Registered
571 Posts
Just being a little pedant again (hehe).
The crucial titles missing from that nice table are left column is dBm units.
2nd from left column is dBW units.

I will go out and brave the cold and see if my meter can show me mine. I didn’t even know they could do this. Useful if it can. I expect my signal to be strong. I believe it likely comes from the big Emley moor TV mast which I have a clear super line of sight view of about 15 miles away.

Peter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Morning,

Has anyone switched to Octopus from a SMETS1 Meter (Secure brand)

Looking at changing to Octopus Go for the cheaper 5p overnight tariff

Thanks
H

·
Registered
518 Posts
Good Morning,

Thanks
H
My 2016 Secure Liberty 100 is compatible with Octopus Go but I cannot confirm whether it is SMETS 1 or 2.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Good Morning,

Thanks
H
My meter is a Secure Liberty 100 - fitted on 1st June this year by SMS on behalf of Octopus when they decided a SMETS2 wouldn't have enough signal strength.

But - & perhaps more helpfully - my son also has a Secure Liberty 100 meter that was fitted by Robin Hood Energy a couple of years ago and was adopted by Octopus when he joined them in March and uses the Go tariff OK.

BTW a Secure Liberty 100 is indeed SMETS1

Reactions: newhamish

·
Registered
571 Posts
Good Morning,

Thanks
H
Further confirmation, you should certainly be ok with that make of SMETS1 meter. Octopus state........
Will my smart meter work with Octopus?
If you have a SMETS1: We use the smart meters made by the company Secure. Secure also supply meters to Utilita, Shell, OVO, E.ON and Bristol Energy - so if you have a smart meter from them, and it’s a ‘Secure’ meter, it will work. (A different brand of meter from them unfortunately won’t.)

If you have a SMETS2: Yes, it will!

lots of other good smart meter info on their page here......

It’s interesting that they also state if SMETS2 signal isn’t available, they can still fit a Secure brand SMETS1 meter! I am surprised as I thought I read somewhere else that installing SMETS1 was forbidden after a Certain date. Maybe the rules have changed since I read that. It was a year or two since I recall reading it.

Also it is said that SMETS1 meters should all eventually get linked into the DCC network as the system infrastructure is gradually updated to accept SMETS1 meters.
HTH
Peter

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
lots of other good smart meter info on their page here......

It’s interesting that they also state if SMETS2 signal isn’t available, they can still fit a Secure brand SMETS1 meter! I am surprised as I thought I read somewhere else that installing SMETS1 was forbidden after a Certain date. Maybe the rules have changed since I read that. It was a year or two since I recall reading it.
Peter
However, if you follow the link on that page to their FAQs
and click on
"Are you installing SMETS1 or SMETS2 meters, and what's the difference?"
They claim only to be installing SMETS2. I of course know that's wrong as they gave me a SMETS1 in June 2020

·
Registered
571 Posts
I suppose the rules were changed back in order to address the quite common problem of SMETS2 meters not being found useable in some locations due to no signal. So they now permit SMETS1 new installs in these locations?

Peter

·
Registered
33 Posts
In area 11 you are with Arqiva on LRR transmission, not sure what you can do if no reception but mine is about 30dBm
Mine is showing -24dBm

Octopus have said they're going to send an engineer but not sure when. Costing me a lot in extra electricity, especially since efficiency is going down in this weather and the free rapid charges are much slower also.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Good Morning,

Thanks
H
It's usual OK but they don't always work.

I switched with a secure liberty 100 and after several weeks they decided they needed to fit a new smets 2

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It's usual OK but they don't always work.

I switched with a secure liberty 100 and after several weeks they decided they needed to fit a new smets 2
ISTR seeing a note on the Octopus website explaining that some 'Secure' brand meters can be adopted but others cannot - it all depends on which company originally supplied it (& presumably on how it was programmed)

Reactions: Woodulike

·
Registered
571 Posts
Has anyone received any invites to the GO Faster tariff, where you can choose your 3, 4, 5 hours cheap energy slot
Not heard of it until until you mentioned it. There seems to be a thread about it on here but the thread fizzled out 11 months since :( It appears it is (or was?) an experimental trial. Seems like a good idea if it’s viable for them.

Peter

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
732 Posts
Has anyone received any invites to the GO Faster tariff, where you can choose your 3, 4, 5 hours cheap energy slot
You have to email or phone them once your on the standard Go tariff & they send you a link to apply for it, then they get back to you if the time slot you want is available 🙂

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
You have to email or phone them once your on the standard Go tariff & they send you a link to apply for it, then they get back to you if the time slot you want is available 🙂
I just Twitter them and then I received an email to invite me to the Go Faster tariff, I have now switched with my 4 hours cheap energy starting from 20:30 😃😃

·
Registered
571 Posts
That’s great to hear! Did they give a choice of times? I’d love 5 hours from 20:30 or 21:00 at 5.5p. I wonder if it’s different in different areas?

I've fired off an enquiry email just now.

Peter

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
That’s great to hear! Did they give a choice of times? I’d love 5 hours from 20:30 or 21:00 at 5.5p. I wonder if it’s different in different areas?

I've fired off an enquiry email just now.

Peter
Yes I had a great selection of times and how longs you wanted the cheap rate, ranging from 3 hours to 5 hours, I kept with the 4 as this was sufficient for me

81 - 100 of 119 Posts