Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
Ex MY20 4 - MY21 4+ Due January
67 Posts
I just Twitter them and then I received an email to invite me to the Go Faster tariff, I have now switched with my 4 hours cheap energy starting from 20:30 😃😃
Thinking of switching to Octopus but concerned that only 4 hours off peak may not be enough for the car and the Powerwall battery.
4 hours I’m assuming would put c28kw back into the car but not sure whether this would be affected by the 10kw or so going into the battery at the same time...

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Thinking of switching to Octopus but concerned that only 4 hours off peak may not be enough for the car and the Powerwall battery.
4 hours I’m assuming would put c28kw back into the car but not sure whether this would be affected by the 10kw or so going into the battery at the same time...
Once signed up you could get in touch with them and ask if you could join the trial for the GO Faster tariff and choose the 5 hours at 5.5p/kWh 😃

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Is there a reason you can't charge the car and battery at the same time? Maybe a small fuse?
I don't have a battery to charge but I do have 2 EVs and I set them to charge at the same time when I need to. I would assume you can do the same.
As I understand it most battery's don't charge at 7kW so your unlikely to be drawing more than 60amps.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Unless your EV charging point and battery are on the same circuit, I don't see why you can't use both at full rate at the sane time. Unless you have a tiny (<60A) main fuse as Woodulike says.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My e-Niro invariably charges at 7.4kW at home but I've never seen that on any other charger.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the feedback!
We have a Zappi for the car and I’m not sure what charges the Power-wall(!) - built in charger?
5 hours certainly sounds better than 4 and only 2 hours less than EON’s 7 (who’s off peak rate is more than other’s peak!) Only reason I’m still with EON is awaiting smart meters - for which I’m told no more than ‘you’re on the list’!
I’ll ask Octopus how long I’d wait for the SMETS2 meters and then decide whether to switch or wait...
Car’s being delivered Wednesday - (I’ve requested they check software and charging cable)

·
jim5452
273 Posts
Thanks for the feedback!
We have a Zappi for the car and I’m not sure what charges the Power-wall(!) - built in charger?
5 hours certainly sounds better than 4 and only 2 hours less than EON’s 7 (who’s off peak rate is more than other’s peak!) Only reason I’m still with EON is awaiting smart meters - for which I’m told no more than ‘you’re on the list’!
I’ll ask Octopus how long I’d wait for the SMETS2 meters and then decide whether to switch or wait...
Car’s being delivered Wednesday - (I’ve requested they check software and charging cable)
That sounds like a good idea, they may be able to get you a smart meter sooner than EON , I usualy suggest that posters go onto the TRACKER tarrif until they get their smart meter, currently that is not a good idea as the fixed tariff is much lower at the moment

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well pretty quick when you send it to the right address! Reply exactly 20mins after enquiry sent!
Answer less positive - waiting list closed for SMETS2 installations due to demand and uncertainty over availability to meet it!
Actually suggested I may be better staying where I’m already on a list...
Will wait and see.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
571 Posts
Well pretty quick when you send it to the right address! Reply exactly 20mins after enquiry sent!
Answer less positive - waiting list closed for SMETS2 installations due to demand and uncertainty over availability to meet it!
Actually suggested I may be better staying where I’m already on a list...
Will wait and see.
Well at least they are being honest and very up front about it, which seems very typical of the company ethos and their CEO founder.
Smart meter installs will be tricky currently what with Octopus rapid growth combined with COVID slowing installs to a crawl. If I were you I think I would switch now anyway as they are probably cheaper than what your paying now and they are a great company to use IMO. Eventually smart meter install slots should catch up, presumably? They will be keener than most to get them installed as they like to promote their unique smart tariffs.

Peter

·
Registered
67 Posts
Currently on EON’s economy 7 and waiting for meter installation for at least a couple of months. Tricky - switch now and not even be on a list or wait and switch after meters installed...!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Currently on EON’s economy 7 and waiting for meter installation for at least a couple of months. Tricky - switch now and not even be on a list or wait and switch after meters installed...!
Yes it’s a dilemma isn’t it. You need a crystal ball :ROFLMAO:
If Octopus non smart tariff quote is cheaper than your night time E7 rate then I would switch now. If not then waiting seems sort of logical.

Peter

·
Registered
eNiro 4+ Intergalactic Grey
7 Posts
Not sure if your aware, now that you've moved to EV, like myself a Kia e-Niro 4+, what a great car :)

Octopus energy do some great rates for charging your car at night, its only 5.00p per kw (between 00:30 to 04:30), not sure what your day rate will be, mines 13.45p (East Anglia), which is a lot cheaper than my previous energy provider SSE.

If your interested and you click on the link below you would receive a £50 credit to your account, that's 1000kw of energy at 5.00p of free motoring. That's almost 16 full charges at 282 miles, approximate 4500 miles.

Octopus Energy

Also there's no fixed term so you can move at anytime, if a better deal comes available.

The above information is based on the Octopus GO tariff. ;)
To get the off-peak don't you have to have a smart meter installed. They can be more trouble than they're worth.

·
Registered
571 Posts
To get the off-peak don't you have to have a smart meter installed. They can be more trouble than they're worth.
Yes you do and yes they can be (but not always).
It's you’re choice, but if you want these limit pushing forward thinking smart tariffs, you have to go with it.

Peter

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Yes a smart meter is required, I’ve had mine installed about 18 months now and have had no issue.

You get to see your usage straight away on the IHD and if you login to your OctopusEnergy app, you can view your usage from the day before and prior as an half hourly slots.

You can even compare your usage if you were to download OctopusCompare with their other tariffs like agile etc.

I recently moved to the GO Faster tariff, invite only and changed my slot to 20:30 for four hours, this way capturing some of my evening usage. 😄

I also find emailing or twitter you get a speedy reply, fingers 🤞 crossed I’m happy with my supply, better than SSE who was my previous supplier.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts