Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking - is Octopus Go no longer an option? I am currently on Go for electricity, with a fixed term for gas and have received an email telling me my fixed term is coming to an end and here's the options. The cheapest is the variable rate which is

Electricity
Unit rate (day) - 19.60p
Unit rate (night) - 13.45p

That makes the night rate more expensive than my current day rate, which is 13.31p

Am I missing something? I expect prices to go up, but on the basis of this, the cheap night rate concept seems to have gone.

·
Registered
Enyaq iV 80
21 Posts
Just checking - is Octopus Go no longer an option? I am currently on Go for electricity, with a fixed term for gas and have received an email telling me my fixed term is coming to an end and here's the options. The cheapest is the variable rate which is

Electricity
Unit rate (day) - 19.60p

That makes the night rate more expensive than my current day rate, which is 13.31p

Am I missing something? I expect prices to go up, but on the basis of this, the cheap night rate concept seems to have gone.
I think Octopus Go and Agile are still beta products in development, so not advertised as options available for everyone. I'd email them - it was still available a week or two ago when I contacted them.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Octopus Go and Agile are still beta products in development, so not advertised as options available for everyone. I'd email them - it was still available a week or two ago when I contacted them.
Thanks - I'll do that today.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
711 Posts
@DSLRed The renewal is for your gas tariff. It's not clear from the wprding of the Octopus email but that's what it means. You do need to renew it otherwise you'll be on the standard rate for gas which is more expensive

·
Banned
78 Posts

Electricity
Unit rate (day) - 19.60p

Been on octopus GO since March 2019 , rate has never changed for me.

·
jim5452
429 Posts
These email seem to come at the end of each year saying that your tariff is ending, but then continues on as if nothing has happened, but I think that next time at the end of the year the new GO tariff will come into effect, the day time tariff is due to rise 3p, the off peak remains at 5p. I believe I have ten months left before the rise

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've complained to them annually about this, pretty sure their is an Ofgem requirement not to hide tariffs but every year I have to pester them via twitter and email to sort of the Tariff for the next year.

That and the inconsistent billing periods are the two main annoyances.

But 5pkWh overnight is basically a penny a mile for me, so they are fantastic value for money - or at least they were back before Covid when we were driving regular...

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
440 Posts

octopus.energy slash go
doesnt appear to work when I type it

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts

octopus.energy slash go
doesnt appear to work when I type it
click the link (you missed the last slash)

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
440 Posts
Oh there is also go faster which is a little more expensive but allows you to select your 4 hour window!

·
Registered
377 Posts
All the tariffs are here. Go and the range of Go Faster tariffs are on there.

Nothing is hidden but you can’t apply for the beta tariffs on line. I’m pretty sure that they can’t deny you an advertised tariff; you simply need to accept their offer.

When I log into my Octopus account, it tells me how long my price is fixed for.

·
Registered
504 Posts
All the tariffs are here. Go and the range of Go Faster tariffs are on there.

Nothing is hidden but you can’t apply for the beta tariffs on line. I’m pretty sure that they can’t deny you an advertised tariff; you simply need to accept their offer.

When I log into my Octopus account, it tells me how long my price is fixed for.
Had to click "load more" twice before any of the Go tariffs appeared.

Since I'm an existing customer I should see these more prominent in my account when coming to the end of my fixed period, but no.

·
Registered
162 Posts
These tarrifs won't be around long. I want on them but you need a smart meter which I am waiting to be installed. Annoying
Do you mean that predictable low cost night time electricity will soon be history?

If agile night time prices are barely dipping below 15p/kWh, I can't see how Go etc. are viable at a guaranteed 5p..

It may actually be that such tarrifs are distorting the wholesale market, by taking up all of the lowest cost generation, and the high Agile prices are the visible effect...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Had to click "load more" twice before any of the Go tariffs appeared.
Glad you found it.

For anyone wanting to use the link, filter for “Domestic” and “Smart” and Go will be the second tariff on the list, followed by the variations of Go Faster. If nothing else, the filters get rid of all the Business tariffs.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 3 Slinky Silver, Renault Zoe R135GT
294 Posts
Go still operational as just switched from Agile because of terrible rates at the moment. Did it via their website. Plan to then ask to go to Go Faster in a months time. Will continue to keep an eye on Agile as might be back in favour in the Autumn.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Will continue to keep an eye on Agile as might be back in favour in the Autumn.
I hope so, it’s a great idea for a tariff. I watched it last autumn whilst waiting for the tie-in with my previous supplier to end and concluded that Go Faster was a no-brainier against the Agile rates I was seeing, especially given the simplicity of knowing when the cheap slots are.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,842 Posts
Go still operational as just switched from Agile because of terrible rates at the moment. Did it via their website. Plan to then ask to go to Go Faster in a months time. Will continue to keep an eye on Agile as might be back in favour in the Autumn.
Terrible rates at the moment? They had lousy rates since October 2020 and it got progressively worse. I switched in Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
Do you mean that predictable low cost night time electricity will soon be history?

If agile night time prices are barely dipping below 15p/kWh, I can't see how Go etc. are viable at a guaranteed 5p..

It may actually be that such tarrifs are distorting the wholesale market, by taking up all of the lowest cost generation, and the high Agile prices are the visible effect...
Yes exactly

1 - 20 of 57 Posts