Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just switched over to Octopus Go Faster tariff (20:30-01:30) and the change has appeared on the In-Home Display (IHD) but shows just the low tariff at all times of the day (5.5p/kWh). Is anyone else here on an Octopus Go tariff and can you confirm that your IHD shows the correct tariff for the time of day or does it, like mine, just show the reduced tariff all the time?

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
182 Posts
Is that right... didn't know that. I expected Agile not to work, but not the more fixed periods like Faster. I was on Octopus GO and it worked fine - but maybe GO Faster as you say sits in the "beta" category.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that right... didn't know that. I expected Agile not to work, but not the more fixed periods like Faster. I was on Octopus GO and it worked fine - but maybe GO Faster as you say sits in the "beta" category.
So, are you saying that when you were on the plain vanilla Go tariff, your IHD would show the correct price/kWh for the two periods. It would show 4p/kWh between 00:30 and 04:30 and then the higher cost per kWh for the period outside of the cheaper tariff window?

·
jim5452
451 Posts
Is Go classed as "Beta", I am not sure and I think the price was correct when I was on that, but that 20 months ago, as there are 12 versions of GO FASTER and 3 different prices, I can understand the situation.

·
Registered
BMW i3 60ah bev, solar orange
44 Posts
Been with Octopus for 18 months and switched from 'Go' to 'Go faster' back in December, my display has always shown the Day/Peak rate even when I know it's during the cheap hours. My bills are always correct though, so wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been with Octopus for 18 months and switched from 'Go' to 'Go faster' back in December, my display has always shown the Day/Peak rate even when I know it's during the cheap hours. My bills are always correct though, so wouldn't worry about it.
That's good to know but I was kind of hoping I was on the 5.5p Evening/Cheap rate all day. 😎

It's a pity they haven't updated their software algorithms to work with the smart meter to show the actual tariff and thus show the price being paid. I guess I'll have to write my own and use the smart meter consumption data to work out the octs.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Mine worked for a few weeks and now I don't get electricity on the IHD at all! But for a while, it understood the two tariffs.
Have you checked that Octopus are getting your readings? My electricity meter failed to send through readings for 3 months (I reported it to Octopus 2 days after it first failed) and they got no readings throughout that time although they did get my gas readings which, bizarrely, are received by the electricity meter and sent on to Octopus. In the end they had to replace my electricity meter (be aware that there is a 6 week wait time if you need this) and they then averaged out my usage during that time and then halved it (very generous of them!).

Also. it is not the meter that understands the 2 tariffs but your Octopus account which uses the half hourly transmissions to work out the true cost.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm just waiting for them to update their software algorithms so my IHD actually shows anything at all! Baby steps!
It doesn't work like that. The electricity meter is the 'house hub' and is a single meter that just records the kWh of electricity being used. It also receives the gas usage from the gas meter and then passes both of those on to the IHD and Octopus at half hourly intervals. All the IHD can do is calculate the cost based on the (single) tariff set in the IHD x usage. It is software at Octopus that calculates the true half hourly cost of electricity hence Octopus' ability to vary its rates for different times of day.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
182 Posts
Yes, it was a joke... I understand it completely, I’ve just entirely given up getting Octopus to sort it

I’ve been through every hoop with Octopus and now they just don’t answer my emails!!!
The gas is correctly relaying through the electricity meter, the octopus account is showing both electricity and gas usage daily.

I randomly get bills through Octopus - for example I got 3 months of bill suddenly. All this, despite online it showing every day’s usage...

However, the IHD only shows gas. Complete garbage bit of tech.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yes, it was a joke... I understand it completely, I’ve just entirely given up getting Octopus to sort it
Point taken :)
I’ve been through every hoop with Octopus and now they just don’t answer my emails!!!
I know the feeling as I've got the same T shirt! In the end I got so fed up with the person assigned to deal with my issue that I complained to [email protected]y and refused to deal with her. I then got a different person from their complaints dept who has answered all my questions, replied to all of my emails and got back to me every time she said she would. My problem has been dealt with (a new electricity meter) and I'm a happy bunny.
I randomly get bills through Octopus - for example I got 3 months of bill suddenly. All this, despite online it showing every day’s usage...
I complained about that as well but was told that it was in the Ts & Cs that electricity bills would be sporadic :( apparently because it is a beta product.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes usage seems correct and there is an indication that there is a two step tariff on the IHD but - the tariffs are incorrect and as dougconran says above all the IHD can seem to do is calculate the cost based on the (single) tariff set in the IHD x usage.
As for sporadic bills, I have just been debited consumption that goes back to November / December 2019. I have been receiving regular monthly bills for some time but this would seem to relate to missed readings when moving from standard tariff to Octopus Go.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been on the verge of moving to Octopus, specifically Go, as I've always got the impression they're the be all & end all, but now I'm wondering if people just big them up hoping you're going to quote their referral code!

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
I've been on the verge of moving to Octopus, specifically Go, as I've always got the impression they're the be all & end all, but now I'm wondering if people just big them up hoping you're going to quote their referral code!
Nah they are defintely super cheap for EV/battery/solar customers, but stuff doesn’t always work flawlessly. It’s taken a year for my agile export billing to work automatically. But, I’m only paying £40 a month for elec and gas and am over £300 in credit.

·
jim5452
451 Posts
While it is true,that OCTOPUS give referal, this is an alternative to other promotional costs of other companys, the main complaint about OCTOPUS is the billing, yet it is amazing how accurate it is once you get your first bill.
I recall how I felt after waiting almost 6 months for my first bill, the day I got the email to say my bill was ready, every single day had a usage and cost for each half hour, and was spot on.
The £50 referal helps to cover the costs of the standard rate the new customers are put on until their "SMART METER" readings are certified, which varys, usualy about 2 weeks , I gather by reading posts on here.
Anyone who is waiting for the first bill, just relax, there seem to be very few unfortunate incidences of failure, which will get sorted
One other thing you could use the OCTOPUS API to get your usage details almost from day1

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
182 Posts
@dougconran thanks for that email, and tips, sounds excellent help. Will try

RE: Octopus, they are excellent price wise. They still beat nearly everyone when we renewed a month ago. Their customer service is nice.. just a bit slow sometimes.

and the IHD is not their fault, it’s some awful standard that has been defined and implemented badly by everyone in the food chain.

their hourly and daily reporting is great. I swear by them but this IHD is a joke!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I moved from Agile to Go Faster last Autumn. Every month its been a fair bit cheaper than Agile. In December nearly 50% cheaper!

My average monthly cost per kw has been as low as 9.1p and never higher than 10.3p

I pay no attention to my IHD other than finding it of interest to see how much power I am using or indeed giving back to the Grid

I am also about to take part in the V2G trial. It is due to start on 1st June. It will be interesting to see how that pans out...........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts