Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just like to get onto Octopus Go :( 2 and a half weeks and no contact from any smart-meter installers :censored:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to be polite but persistent in chasing them up. Even then it can take quite a while. I’ve been on Go for a few weeks now but it was far from straightforward.

My gas meter has only just gone 'smart'. At one point it was showing as 77 days since they last got a reading!

·
Registered
233 Posts
You need to be polite but persistent in chasing them up. Even then it can take quite a while. I’ve been on Go for a few weeks now but it was far from straightforward.

My gas meter has only just gone 'smart'. At one point it was showing as 77 days since they last got a reading!
That’s what I have been doing. Apparently they a switching me to a different fitter that isn’t as busy... we shall see lol

·
Registered
809 Posts
A variation on Go,you can have less hours but cheaper or extra hours but dearer also you can shift the period that it runs for to suit you better.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m starting on 4 hours from 8.30. As I understand it, in the next phase of the trial they’ll be allocating a start time on the day based on predicted grid demand / and or pricing. I’m not sure how that will work with my Rolec smart charger?

For now I’ve asked the app developer to add my 20.30 start time to their app, which they’ll do, but hopefully there’s a way it will pick up the correct time to charge when the dynamic pricing starts.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
178 Posts
Hey - I’m on it - started on Monday 16th - 2030-0030hrs - it’s working well for me, I have a Nissan Leaf and Tesla Powerwall - so both get charged during that period. Means I can use the washer, dryer, heating etc when I need it too and am awake :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
178 Posts
The same hours as me, and chosen for the same reason. I can't see any benefit in selecting the off peak period in the small hours?

It will be interesting to see how it works when they move to allocating the off peak period dynamically.
Hi - just interested - do you have battery storage too? Do you know if there’s any way to integrate Agile with the battery (powerwall) and have it self set the charge timings from the api output?

Am I making sense - lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No and No!

I don't have battery storage but having access to the off peak rate allows me to use the dishwasher and other bits and pieces when the electricity is cheapest.

I don't know how the api works. I think what you're asking is similar to what I hope my charger will achieve when the dynamic allocation comes in. I have a Rolec smart charger controlled by the ev.energy app. Ev.energy have added all of the Go Faster tariff options to the app and I can select them manually. I'm hoping that eventually the app will automatically recognise when my off peak rate is active (from the api output?) and charge at the correct time. I assume that's how you want the Powerwall to be topped up too?

Perhaps somebody that knows more about it than we do will be able to advise whether this is possible?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
app. Ev.energy have added all of the Go Faster tariff options to the app and I can select them manually. I'm hoping that eventually the app will automatically recognise when my off peak rate is active (from the api output?) and charge at the correct time.
I may be wrong but I believe that the only smart charger that can use the Octopus API at the moment is the Ohme smart cable/Wallbox. That is not to say that other manufacturers will not follow in the wake of Ohme.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Got my meters today! 2 weeks from joining so pretty pleased with that!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I may be wrong but I believe that the only smart charger that can use the Octopus API at the moment is the Ohme smart cable/Wallbox. That is not to say that other manufacturers will not follow in the wake of Ohme.
So the only way forward would be to check the allocated tariff and manually select the corresponding one from the drop down menu on the app every time before putting the car on charge?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts