Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, is anyone here on the Go Faster trial? If so, how’s it gone so far, any glitches in billing?

We switch from Go to Go Faster at midnight tonight. 8:30 to 12:30 will be our 5p hours.

Should mean a lot more washing machine / tumble dryer / dishwasher use will be at 5p as well as the cars.

The disclaimer about no guarantees billing will be smooth made me a little nervous, but hey, getting a bill on regular Go is hard enough ?

·
Registered
238 Posts
We have been on 5 hour Go Faster trial since before Christmas. Very content with it.
Had to ask for a statement and it arrived a few days later. Have just asked for a second statement, so hopefully should arrive within the next few days.
Had the £5 loyalty bonus added in February.
Average rate, for ALL electric imported, on the 1st statement was about 8p/kWh.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi, is anyone here on the Go Faster trial? If so, how’s it gone so far, any glitches in billing?

We switch from Go to Go Faster at midnight tonight. 8:30 to 12:30 will be our 5p hours.

Should mean a lot more washing machine / tumble dryer / dishwasher use will be at 5p as well as the cars.

The disclaimer about no guarantees billing will be smooth made me a little nervous, but hey, getting a bill on regular Go is hard enough ?
I'm going over to Go Faster tonight too. 2030-0130, 5.5p per kWh, fingers crossed! It should save us a bit more money and will be more convenient for the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer. Our old plasma TV aka room heater is quite a draw too. It does mean our Leaf battery will be sitting at 100% charge for longer periods though.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,257 Posts
What are the rates, and how do you ask about it? It is not even on their website.

·
29,257 Posts
I'm actually quite curious why I can't get a 8.9p/kWh day and E7 3.9p/kWh night rate these days , seeing as that is what I paid on Sainsbury's just 3 years ago, and oil is cheaper, there is more renewable capability, etc, etc..

·
Registered
238 Posts
What are the rates, and how do you ask about it? It is not even on their website.
4.5p/kWh for 3 hours
5.0p/kWh for 4 hours
5.5p/kWh for 5 hours
Time slots vary depending on availability.
We sent them an email asking about the Go Faster trial and they sent us details of the various times & tariffs available. We then said we were interested and they sent us an invite to choose one of the times available.
I believe it is a limited trial, so there may not be the times you would like available.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same as normal Go Donald. For us it's 13.45p but varies by region. Standing charge is also the same as Go.

The trial is invite only. I didn't get an invite so I rang them and invited myself a few weeks ago! Must be still places as the formal invite to join only came yesterday. Accepted yesterday evening and it started at midnight.

·
29,257 Posts
Same as normal Go Donald.
There's a "Go Donald" too!! Cool! ;) (y)

OK, so maybe I should ask. When the wind is not blowing so much I have noticed even the overnight rates tend not to dip below 7p/kWh. If there are fixed hours it stops me having to think! I just do everything 'electrical' at a given time.

Food for thought, thanks, I will ask about it.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
The whole experiment went quiet. What they found was that people moved their consumption into whatever off-peak period they had been allocated to a greater extent than they expected, but as we were a self-selected subset of an already self-selected group who had gone for Go that wasn't rocket science.
Octopus had talked about changing people's off-peak periods to see if that caused them to change their usage profile (like a monthly version of Go but with a single off-peak period daily), and seeing how close to Agile they could get before a significant drop off occurred and whether it needed to be further incentivised. Sadly this was delayed and I suspect like a lot of things overtaken by Covid-19. Current rates on Agile are now so much cheaper than before and I suspect that a lot of people will have changed their usage considerably. Certainly I have - 70% of our weekly consumption was EV charging between 18:00 - 06:00 weekdays for commuting which has disappeared for the foreseeable future to be replaced by the very occasional trip to the supermarket where the car doesn't need recharging by the next day. Hence we can move our usage by more than a couple of hours and have only the minor dilemma of whether tonight's plunge pricing will be better or worse than tomorrow's etc. Previous solutions like the Ohme lead are now less relevant due to the prices only being published up to 30 hours ahead and consumption potentially being movable by days rather than hours.
Personally I'd be interested in resuming the experiment if things ever go back to how they were before, but as that's either a very long way off or will never happen I suspect that Octopus will just let the experiment and the number of customers on it wither away. Long may regular plunge pricing continue on Agile.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts