Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a new EV owner and am looking into switching my electric tariff/supplier so that I can charge the car at home, but I am a little confused about my options.

It seems like EDF have launched new tariffs for EV owners which seem better than Octopus at least on paper: EV Tariff - Energy for Your Electric Car and Home for Less

I'm currently with Octopus for gas and with EDF for electric.

One option I have is to switch to Octopus for my electric supply so that I can sign up to the Octopus Go tariff. Other option is to switch my gas supply to EDF so that I can sign up to their new EV tariffs because these are available to duel fuel customers only.

Which one would be a better overall option?

I've been told that I have a smart electric meter.

Will appreciate any advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'd check the prices here - https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/goelectric_may22_rate_card.pdf

I'm based in Yorkshire and currently have Octopus Go Faster, which gives me 5 hours at 5.5p per kWh between 1:30-6:30am, 13.31p per kWh outside these times and a daily standing charge of 25p. That seems to be cheaper than EDF similar offering which is 4.5p for 5 hours, 17.04p rest of the time and a daily standing charge of 33.97p

Hope that helps (prices do vary around the country and it will be the same with Octopus on their Go/Go Faster offering in your neck of the woods).

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've been told that I have a smart electric meter.
I agree with @shikoku14 ,but just wanted to add that you should dig into your smart meter a bit before diving in. Not all smart meters are compatible with smart tariffs and you don't want to be potentially stuck on a standard tariff waiting for a compatible meter to be installed. I don't know all the details, but only some SMETS1 meters can be used by Octopus and they prefer SMETS2. EDF may be similar.

Your meter also needs to have a stable connection to the network that transmits consumption data back to the energy providers, but as you meter is already installed, that should be less of an unknown.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,904 Posts
As above - EDF is considerably more expensive overall and their customer service is not good.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
539 Posts
I think those EDF prices are plus VAT whereas Octopus are including VAT. Likewise I'm on Octopus Go Faster at 5.5p/kWh plus 25p daily standing charge. EDF would be a price increase for me. Their headline off-peak tariff seems ok but their peak tariff is where they'll rake it in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts