Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(UK) Has anyone else experienced erroneous electricity billing from Octopus. Since I went with Octopus just over a year ago I have had to contact them a few times about dodgy billing and overcharges resulting in me having to watch them like a hawk.

Last year I had spotted an almost hidden overcharge after checking meticulously the readings resulting in them refunding around £150 when I painstakingly pointed out their error.

1. February onwards they have omitted the actual readings making it impossible to verify their accuracy - contacted them about this with no response back.
2. They failed to send me an April to May electricity bill for no apparent reason.
3. They sent me an April to June bill for electricity but with no actual readings for standard or cheap rate, just an overall consumption figure
4. As well as the April to June bill I received and was charged for a completely erroneous bill dated September 2019 for £59.52 (That wasn't my bill from last year BTW)

What are they doing, it's not rocket science. All they have to do is collect my "smart" meter reading for gas and electricity and bill me every month.

I like the ethos of the company and the green credentials and the 5p per unit 12:30 to 4;30 but their billing sucks to the extent that I've had enough of having to not trust them any longer.

Anyone got an alternative energy supplier?

Dave

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
609 Posts
I didn't have meter readings for electricity or gas from 12th May. I complained and the gas readings restarted, but still no on-line (edit: electricity) meter readings. And I still don't understand how to check the bills. Looks as though I have to find a way to download via a REST API, with guidance from SpeakEV members. I can do that, but why should I have to?

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,836 Posts
"3. They sent me an April to June bill for electricity but with no actual readings for standard or cheap rate, just an overall consumption figure"

I think the GO and Agile bills are calculated using the half hourly readings now, rather than the total meter reading..Happy to be corrected. The meter readings should be returning to the bills soon apparently, as people expect to see them there..

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
160 Posts
Same story for me on Go but now on Agile.
I've not had an electricity bill since December.
Lots of billing issues before that which led to them crediting a full month.

They then recently billed me for the credited month which they have now credited again after another call from me :rolleyes:

I raised a complaint a few weeks ago but still haven't received a bill.
I'll chase today and may ask them to escalate the complaint to the next stage.

You could try going through the complaints process on this page if you haven't given up entirely.

Bulb always seem to get good reviews but not sure how competitive their pricing is.

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
166 Posts
Not been with them long and have noticed their website isn't the best when it comes to looking at consumption.
For example on my gas meter I can look back at readings all the way till last week... :/

I could look at literally years with British Gas.
Leccy meter not working at all (not Octopus, was faulty when I switched)

Not on an agile or go tariff yet, due to the meter issues, but not boding brilliantly.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I am currently with SSE (who have recently been bought out by OVO) on their "1 year Fix And Drive" Tariff - you get 2000 free units of electricity for charging your car between midnight and 5am - its divided up through the year so 500 free units per quarterly bill. you have to have a smart meter with half hour reading - I was already an SSE customer so easy to switch and my smart meter was compatible, so this was the attraction to me.

Started in November 2019 - first bill Feb 2020 - all the readings on the bill were correct and reliable the only problem was that there was no 500 unit rebate. So I raised a complaint, they gave me a load of guff about it being a new tariff and the computer was not configured properly. After a couple of weeks they issued a new bill which included a rebate of the equivalent of 500 units £83.45 and said that all had been fixed and going forward future bills would have the rebate automatically calculated.

Guess what? next quarterly bill comes in in May, no rebate, and because of COVID19 is making them short staffed, they are only accepting queries and complaint from vulnerable customers only, even so I have tried to contact them online but it just keeps rejecting me "sorry something went wrong"

Seems generally that these EV Tariff's are just hassle, they want your business and they want to nudge you into the habit of timer charging through the night when demand is at its lowest, but don't want you to benefit from cheap electricity, they make it awkward as possible.

The truth is, even at full rate the cost of electricity for my EV, is a quarter of what I was spending on diesel a month so I don't think I can be arsed with all this crap to be honest.

The trouble is I was born in Yorkshire and have a duty to save money.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I found that bills from Octopus were patchy while I was on Go tariff; chasing was required and I get the feeling they were being compiled with manual assistance behind the scenes. I switched to Agile just before the lockdown started, and billing has been spot-on for my first two bills; half-hourly data in PDF for each day included. I couldn't be happier, especially as my costs have gone down with switch from Go to Agile; working from home and driving fewer miles fits the Agile profile well for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m on Octopus Agile for electric and Octopus Tracker V1 for gas. Always had bills on time and great customer service when I’ve had a question.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm actually here at my desk as I need to send (another) follow up email as my data is not getting through for Agile. I've also got Tracker but as I don't use any gas between March and October not too worried about that. Nor have I had a bill for my electricity yet since my SMETS meter was installed in January.

I'm not too worried, large unexpected bills aren't an issue as my PV panels are doing most of the work at the moment but they obviously have meter and billing issues, and as an ex-SSE employee a long time ago know how time consuming problems can be..

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
I've asked a couple of times and have been told that they have to do the billing by hand. I wonder if there's a third party involved in this?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Been with them since Feb and not had an electricity bill either. Started on Go, then switched to Agile 3 weeks later when I could see I would save far more.
Have escalated numerous times but not got anywhere as yet, other than having my gas readings sorted...

Keep at them, from what I understand any anomolies are manually billed, so it can take time to 'get it right'. After-all they are still saying this is a 'beta' service and not without it's snags. I am patient enough, given the access I have to the data to calculate pricing myself to hopefully avoid any nasty surprises.

·
1,836 Posts
If any half hourly data is missing/not received (from DCC for SMETS2, other for SMETS1/Secure branded meters), I believe they currently have to manually retrieve the data, but they're working on the automation of this.

Octopus are the only supplier billing using HH data (for Agile and GO) for billing I believe, so as it's all still relatively new it's still in Beta..The billing platform itself is by all accounts quite good. Eon, Good Energy and Origin (Australia) have all have paid to licence it.

·
1,836 Posts
Been with them since Feb and not had an electricity bill either. Started on Go, then switched to Agile 3 weeks later when I could see I would save far more.
Have escalated numerous times but not got anywhere as yet, other than having my gas readings sorted...

Keep at them, from what I understand any anomolies are manually billed, so it can take time to 'get it right'. After-all they are still saying this is a 'beta' service and not without it's snags. I am patient enough, given the access I have to the data to calculate pricing myself to hopefully avoid any nasty surprises.
Did you email [email protected]? Assuming you can see some usage in your account, they tend to get the missing data filled in quickly..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Did you email [email protected]? Assuming you can see some usage in your account, they tend to get the missing data filled in quickly..
No missing smart data - it's all there, and caught up from when the DCC had their metering outage, but just getting a bill is a challenge. I was using 'hello' but instead e-mailed Phil a couple days back. If I still don't get anywhere I'll try e-mailing 'smart'...

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Many people seem to complain about Octopus Go or Agile about billing and other data issues, but the reality is this is a BETA service and the problems are the smart metering network/systems that Octopus have no control over.
They are the ONLY company doing half hourly billing and if just one bit of data is missing they cannot produce a bill. Cutting edge products do have problems and Octopus are working hard to resolve as timely as they can.
I am only on Elecy with them. Switched back in March and all looked good from a data viewpoint, but had multiple dropouts of data over 3 months. I know I had halved my costs, but it’s always good to have a bill to confirm. Chased via support and smart metering emails, but also used Octopus forum (James) and got data holes filled by Octopus requesting the data all the way back to my smart meter and then I got a bill also. Of course another data hole is visible now, so not expecting 100% for the rest of the year, but happy to recommend Octopus (as an engineer understand the technical issues) and they are very responsive and the best value.

·
Registered
551 Posts
God help us if banks treated our data with such incompetence. How hard is it to multiply some figures together and the do some adding up. I've seen equally bad arithmetic from other suppliers and it sometimes looks like they are trying their hardest to make the simple look complicated so customers are are unable to spot billing errors. I have had to get tough with them a couple of times and take them to court. They always pay up then.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
609 Posts
The annoying thing is that the role out of SMART meters started in 2011, with all homes due to have them installed by about (if I remember correctly) 2018. The install date then slipped to 2020 for all homes. It took some time for anyone to realise that the spec for the meters didn't allow for customers to switch suppliers. So the SMART 2 spec came out. It was always supposed to cope with 1/2 hourly metering. It was then found out that all the SMART meters had the same encryption key for the return channel. The DCC was set up in about 2016 to sort out the communications mess, including providing a link to all the SMART 1 meters already installed for all the utilities to use - that was due to be completed by now. Billions have been spent and there's been a huge amount of false advertising claiming that SMART meters save energy. People save energy by switching things off. Most people seem to have ignored any information from their meters (people on here probably being exceptions).

I'm not blaming Octopus, but the government and the industry as a whole. The project is a mismanaged fiasco. To start giving it leeway for it being a BETA project, 8 years after it started and was already supposed to be completed, totally misses the point. How is our governing system ever held to account?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've not had a bill since October of last year on Go. I have a massive credit showing but also the knowledge that I haven't been using more than I have been spending on it (been keeping an eye on meter usage) I recently moved to Agile and know that they have been receiving the reads, they now need to sort my billing out. I was going to wait until they had sorted out the billing, but as someone told me, if you move to Agile, they are going to have to sort it out sooner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts