Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm on the Octopus GO May 2021 v1 tariff which is ending in September, I've just had an email from Octopus giving me the rates to renew for a year or go onto a variable rate. As I'm sure many of you are aware, it's quite a jump, I'm just trying to get a feel of what people are paying and whether renewing is the best thing to do.

Your current Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 15.33p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 5.00p / kWh
Standing charge: 25.00p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £533.79

We've based your estimate on your historical half-hourly usage pattern - that's 2,343 kWh during Octopus Go peak times and 1,668 kWh during Octopus Go off-peak times.

Your new Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 39.35p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 7.50p / kWh
Standing charge: 44.48p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,209.33

Flexible Octopus prices
Unit rate: 27.63p / kWh
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,071.30

I'm in the midlands and live alone so I'm not a particularly big user, I charge my 24kWh Leaf most nights from 00:30-04:30 (granny cable). I've asked Octopus if the Go faster tariff is available as I've heard it's slightly longer but slightly more expensive (may work out good for my use though)

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
2,335 Posts
The new high standing charge is unavoidable. The Go rate is still about the best deal for charging if that is your major consumption. It sounds as though you dont want to install an EVSE to gain the extra kWh you would get with higher rate of charging? (3.6 or 7.2 kW). The only other advice is to buy some brown trousers to hide any stains. We are all suffering!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new high standing charge is unavoidable. The Go rate is still about the best deal for charging if that is your major consumption. It sounds as though you dont want to install an EVSE to gain the extra kWh you would get with higher rate of charging? (3.6 or 7.2 kW). The only other advice is to buy some brown trousers to hide any stains. We are all suffering!
Yeah, I only have the 3.3kW charger si I haven't bothered so far. ALthough I live in rented so a grant is still available I believe, may have to look into that.

·
Registered
MG5
1,121 Posts
I believe you can get a Go faster from 21.30 at 8.25p.

Are you able to shift other appliances to that off peak window?

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition 77Kw
392 Posts
Hi,

I'm on the Octopus GO May 2021 v1 tariff which is ending in September, I've just had an email from Octopus giving me the rates to renew for a year or go onto a variable rate. As I'm sure many of you are aware, it's quite a jump, I'm just trying to get a feel of what people are paying and whether renewing is the best thing to do.

We've based your estimate on your historical half-hourly usage pattern - that's 2,343 kWh during Octopus Go peak times and 1,668 kWh during Octopus Go off-peak times.

Flexible Octopus prices

I'm in the midlands and live alone so I'm not a particularly big user, I charge my 24kWh Leaf most nights from 00:30-04:30 (granny cable). I've asked Octopus if the Go faster tariff is available as I've heard it's slightly longer but slightly more expensive (may work out good for my use though)

Any advice appreciated.
IMHO - I would sign up to the Octopus Go rate they have offered you (I did the same about a month ago - same rates, BUT this is already increasing by 5p for the daytime Kws). It might seem "bad" compared to your current plan (but we're never going to be offered anything like that again!) ... Given a couple of things :-

• You can always "opt out" of the Octopus Go tariff, with no penalties (but check your on an the same contract)
  • The new Octopus Go plans are actually around 5p MORE (for daytime rate) you therefore are getting a "deal"
  • Variable will only go up, especially when there is a review in the Autumn

Obviously any decision is based on your own personal circumstances/usage/calculations - as others say - try to "shift" everything to the off-peak over-night "4hr window" - that may justify / help you sway your decision.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe you can get a Go faster from 21.30 at 8.25p.

Are you able to shift other appliances to that off peak window?
Yeah defintely could move most of my high use stuff to that time, I wouldn't mind paying 8.25p if that was possible. It's just wether they will offer it.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Flexible Octopus prices
Hmm... my sums suggest that, with the same usage on the new Go prices, you're paying an average unit price of 26.1p. So not quite sure why the estimated usage on Go should be higher than on Flexible.

Ignoring s/c (which is same),
2343*0.3935 + 1668*0.075 = £1047 (Go),
2343*0.2763 + 1668*0.2763 = £1108 (SVT)

The other thing to remember is that SVT is going up in October (by at least 50%), whereas the Go price is fixed for a year.

Depends on whether you get enough during that 4-hour window for your needs.

I also have a leaf and granny charger, but only need to charge for an hour or two every night - not sure I'd be entirely happy running granny charger for 4 hours every night. I did recently learn that the official Nissan granny charger does have a temperature sensor in the plug, which reduces concern a little.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah defintely could move most of my high use stuff to that time, I wouldn't mind paying 8.25p if that was possible. It's just wether they will offer it.
Ask them, When my Go Faster (20:30 - 00:30) was due to end the system only offered standard Go, I had to talk to them to Stay with Go Faster (although it starts at 21:30 now as the 20:30 slot seems to have evaporated)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hi,

Flexible Octopus prices

Any advice appreciated.
I’ve saved this thread: my 1 year fix ends in October.

·
Registered
Leaf 24 Tekna '64 || Model Y LR on order
1,747 Posts
Can you only fix after the current deal ends? Or is there a number of days before it ends you can sign up for new tariff?

Go price recently rose from 35p peak to over 40p peak. So currently it is best to sign up and fix ASAP.

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition 77Kw
392 Posts
Might be worth considering whether to renew slightly early - it's possible that the Go day rate will increase at around about the same time as the new price cap comes in.
Can you only fix after the current deal ends? Or is there a number of days before it ends you can sign up for new tariff?

Go price recently rose from 35p peak to over 40p peak. So currently it is best to sign up and fix ASAP.
My 2021 Octopus Go tariff ended just over a week ago, Octopus contacted me about a month earlier "inviting" me to "accept" their offer. Suspecting that rates will increase significantly (just the unfortunate situation we all find ourselves in), I signed up straight away (Ironically at 35p daytime and 7.5p night from 2021's 15/5p rates) - I'm glad I did - given what's likely in Autumn - just remember there are no penalties in leaving the Go Tariff - so if there is a better deal, another supplier you want to move to, or your calculations just don't work out - you can move !

I'm not sure if you have to wait for the "offer" or you can ask/request this in-advance. All I know (anticipating the situation we're all going to be in), I did "try" asking to extend my previous 2021 deal (about 3 months before it ended) and they said "no" - that I would have to wait until them make me a offer.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Hi,

Flexible Octopus prices

Any advice appreciated.
The price cap , and therefore Octopus flexible rate, is likely to be at least 46p kwh in 1st October review (they are predicting now +65%), so fixing for 12 months From September now at 39.25p kwh is a good deal all considered.

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition 77Kw
392 Posts
It's very very very "painful" for us all to realise that our daytime rate for the Octopus Go tariff is literally rocketing by 5p almost every 2 months - I agree with Crypto - fix it NOW at what-ever rate you can ... see what the Autumn review rates are. You can always opt out of Octopus Go without penalties if you find out it's not working for you !

·
Registered
383 Posts

I got a similar email from Octopus with new Go rates a few weeks ago. I waited and tried to renew through the portal but was presented with higher Go rates. I called them and they agreed to move me to the lower rates in the email. I’ve been impressed with Octopus. This is another example of their good Customer Service I think. Referral link below for anyone wishing to move to them 😀

·
Registered
693 Posts
Might be worth considering whether to renew slightly early - it's possible that the Go day rate will increase at around about the same time as the new price cap comes in.
Yes, as soon as my smart meters are fitted, I’ll be looking around

Reactions: Harry6

·
Registered
987 Posts
Oof, I've had the renewal email this morning..
Good to know: in the current market prices change often, sometimes daily. The prices quoted in this email will be available until midnight today at least.
At least my annual import is <1800kWh. I think I'll go for it (whoops) and, as there's no penalty, change to Agile later should that prove better, although the calculation might be interesting. I'm low mileage day to day and if I do any longer trips it's going to be on public chargers anyway, so occasional cheap top ups should do me with the very occasional expensive charge.

Fun this, every customer their own energy analyst, so keep up the observations on here!.

Edit: off to change my budget spreadsheet!

·
Registered
319 Posts
change to Agile later should that prove better, although the calculation might be interesting.
Is the Agile cap still 35p ? I assume they'll have to increase that once SVT goes higher, else there'll be stampede to Agile. I wonder if they'll honour the 35p for existing Agile customers ?

1 - 20 of 129 Posts