Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a smart meter installed and eligible for Octopus Go. With the lockdown we have not been travelling as much so the cost of electicity is not a big deal for the moment. Nevertheless we want to use a better tariff now we have the meter.

Would like to ask a few questions of forum members before we sign up with Octopus:
  1. Is Octopus Go still a competitive tariff for electric car owners in the UK or are there other, newer tariffs to check out? We were waiting 12 months for the smart meter so probably worth checking on this point.
  2. Would one of the more recent tariffs, such as Octopus Tracker, be a better choice (because the start and cutoff times are smoothed out and extend further)?
  3. What is the easiest way to set up the i3 to charge automatically within the low cost times? I know there are a couple of threads about this last point already but thought an updated view would be helpful.
Thanks in advance to anyone who has already ventured down this path and is willing to share.

Best

Robert

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Yes, Go is probably one of the best tariffs for EV owners. I have an i3 and the easiest (and in my experience the most assured) way of setting up the i3 ON A STANDARD CHARGING POINT is to do it via the car settings. I set 0030 to 0430 as my charging period with a later departure time. If you select preconditioning for the battery then the i3 will select a time to start heating the battery (up to 3 hours): it follows that this may take place outwith the cheap period.

If you have a smart charger such as a Zappi then set immediate charging in the i3 and the charger should charge at the times that you have set. DO NOT mix a match as the i3 is easily confused!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was on Go then transferred onto Tracker during Lockdown and summer and have now gone back to Go. I have solar so have basically been keeping the car topped up with excess solar power. However now late September with a few trips to work not enough solar. So transferred back onto Go. Charging car, running washing machine and dishwasher from 00:30 :) Bottom line even with washing machine and dishwasher usage Go is making sense and with a few big 28kw charges of the car each week. Tracker tariff is a a bit like Agile but billed daily rather than every half hour so had some super cheap days over summer. But cost was creeping up to between 12p and 13p this month as people were getting back to work so Go peak rate at 13.45p not that different. Still on Tracker for our gas. Nice thing about Octopus is you can change easily with no penalties so perhaps Tracker March to September, Go October to February or similar.

I have a Myenergi zappi so set this to Eco + this means if enough solar it pushes this to car. I then set timed “boosts” between 00:30 and 04:30 this means that when a boost time is reached the charger pushes 7kw to car. The car I set to “charge immediately” but may set a departure time to pre-condition to. So it sits waiting until power is available and then sucks it in. When using Pre-Conditioning for leaving for work at say 7am I just extend the boost on the charger. Then the car charges but can pull power for the pre-conditioning.
Really just saying what others have said but hope this confirms approach.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have a Myenergi zappi so set this to Eco + this means if enough solar it pushes this to car. I then set timed “boosts” between 00:30 and 04:30 this means that when a boost time is reached the charger pushes 7kw to car. The car I set to “charge immediately” but may set a departure time to pre-condition to. So it sits waiting until power is available and then sucks it in. When using Pre-Conditioning for leaving for work at say 7am I just extend the boost on the charger. Then the car charges but can pull power for the pre-conditioning.
Really just saying what others have said but hope this confirms approach.
We also have a Zappi and are on the GO tariff, and this is my exact approach too (y).

The sunny weather over the last six months has pretty much kept the car charged.

However we are now heading into the less sunny months so the cheap overnight charging of GO will take more and more of the load.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I’d comment for our time with an EV agile has beaten go for same usage inc EV charge for the last 29/31 days. And actually last month Has been reasonably expensive for Agile, one advantage is you can run your dishwasher twice a day on a Sunday for not much more than overnight. We tend to do that most sundays for the roast. Yes agile is expensive 4-7pm but it’s more than made up for by the low 7-11p rates typically seen outside that.

we combine that here with an Ohme charger which helpfully alerts when prices low and to plug in ev for charge. ( we tend to only charge to 100% when prices low as with a Niro we don’t need a full batt alll the time ).

it won’t suit if you not prepared to load an app once or twice a day to see when best time to put a dishwasher on is ( although you can automate it a little with ifttt. ( our dehumidifier is on a agile linked ifttt rule ).

·
Registered
281 Posts
I’d comment for our time with an EV agile has beaten go for same usage inc EV charge for the last 29/31 days. And actually last month Has been reasonably expensive for Agile, one advantage is you can run your dishwasher twice a day on a Sunday for not much more than overnight. We tend to do that most sundays for the roast. Yes agile is expensive 4-7pm but it’s more than made up for by the low 7-11p rates typically seen outside that.

we combine that here with an Ohme charger which helpfully alerts when prices low and to plug in ev for charge. ( we tend to only charge to 100% when prices low as with a Niro we don’t need a full batt alll the time ).

it won’t suit if you not prepared to load an app once or twice a day to see when best time to put a dishwasher on is ( although you can automate it a little with ifttt. ( our dehumidifier is on a agile linked ifttt rule ).
I have tried everything to get my better half to cook outside the 4pm to 7pm slot but have been defeated on this. Also tried persuading that cooking at 00:30 would be a great idea for Go both requests rejected :LOL:
So Go is the best option for us. May try Agile in the spring again as can then leverage solar in the evenings.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I should add we cook between 4 and 7. Makes no odds, cheaper even with that.

We did replace oven last year so it's super effecient, ditto have an airfryer for small chip/fry loads.. And we use both soup makers and bread machines, and other kitchen gadgetry too during peak times && slow cookers all day.

What really saves money is fact we both wfh, and out coffee/teas during day ditto dishwasher, ditto washing machine on during day, make more savings than cooking dinner costs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have an EVSE installed (if so, what brand is it) or are you planning on charging with the granny cable?
Forgot to mention, I have a standard PodPoint 7kWh home charger - no timer or other smarts.

Thanks everyone. It looks like Go is, by a whisker, the cheaper way to go :) at least through winter. I also had not considered having Gas on Agile or Tracker, and electricity on Go.

Not sure how, or if, the car can be pre-conditioned for a 7am departure during winter months, just relying on the settings available on the i3. But maybe I don't need that unless aiming for absolutely max range.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Forgot to mention, I have a standard PodPoint 7kWh home charger - no timer or other smarts.

Thanks everyone. It looks like Go is, by a whisker, the cheaper way to go :) at least through winter. I also had not considered having Gas on Agile or Tracker, and electricity on Go.

Not sure how, or if, the car can be pre-conditioned for a 7am departure during winter months, just relying on the settings available on the i3. But maybe I don't need that unless aiming for absolutely max range.
One thought is you could get your discounted Ohme Charger from Octopus at £200 Electric Car Charging | Octopus Electric Vehicles get one with a 7kw adapter to plug into dumb Pod-Point then you would have a super smart charger that could be used with the Agile and Go tariff. Yes you can put the Gas on any tariff it does not even need to be with Octopus, but the Tracker tariff has worked well for gas for me but we are moving towards winter so I am expecting prices to ramp but at the end of the day you have to consider things on an annual basis unless things get stupid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My exact setup too. Well to be even more specific:
  • PodPoint 7kWh (Tethered)
  • i3 120
  • Octopus Go (soon)
Our SMETS2 meter is due on Friday then my plan is to move onto Go. I dont really want the hassle of working out when best to use electricity other than charging the car, so Agile probably isn't for me but I may change my mind in the future.

Re timed charging - See the other thread I started on this, but essentially im telling the car I want to depart every Wednesday at 11am and specifying the off-peak Go hours. This has worked every night so far and im curious see how much/little electricity is wasted heating the battery every Wednesday (I don't plan to depart at 11am, but you have to set at minimum set a day and time for the off-peak charging to work at all). Pre-conditioning of the cabin is unticked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another vote for Octopus Go.
I have a much derided Rolex smart charger.
A 22kwH Zoe.
All controlled by the ev.energy app.
Touch wood, has worked faultlessly for the past year. The Zoe will fully charge from flat in the 4hour cheap period. 5p / kWh.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chose Octopus Go for now. I tested charging last night and all appeared to work fine. I set the time in the car, in the 'Low Cost' section.
Strange that you must set a departure time to access this setting.
Made sure to turn off 'pre-condition'. That's not a big deal for me but if I lived in a colder part of the UK I might find it annoying that I can no longer pre-condition.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
701 Posts
The idea is to unplug it once a week, so you don't waste electricity...
See my battery temp data in the other thread, if you set departure time correctly it’s highly unlikely battery warming will ever kick in.

Also useful to know that charging will warm a battery to within the optimal operating range for efficient driving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts