Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Chased on Friday, got a reply yesterday to book and coming Friday am. Could have got Thursday but I'm out and about much of the day.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Posted in another thread, but I got various conflicting answers about my isolation switch install. When I phoned they put me on a list that they're working through but couldn't tell me how long that would take. Might have to chase them, getting bored of waiting.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Posted in another thread, but I got various conflicting answers about my isolation switch install. When I phoned they put me on a list that they're working through but couldn't tell me how long that would take. Might have to chase them, getting bored of waiting.
If you really mean the isolation switch, that comes after the meter, the same technician that changes the meter should also change the switch. OTOH, if you mean what used to be called "the board's fuse", then if it's currently considered to be in a dangerous condition then replacing it should be classed as an emergency and response measured in hours rather than months; but if it's not "dangerous" then there's no reason why the meter technician can't just pull it whilst changing meter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
All sorted - someone else from Octopus contacted me (I raised two tickets for the same issue because one was initially not responded to).

The person who responded on the second ticket (or perhaps the first - I don't know) was completely different. They had looked at my account, gave a hand written reply without copy+pasting stuff, explained that they are prioritising Agile customers, and that I'll get a call to book the appointment in the next few days.

Such a contrasting response to two identical questions!

·
Registered
449 Posts
SMS, the installer that covers north England and Scotland for Octopus, installed my smart meters last Friday. Just waiting for the meters to connect through and Octopus to offer me transfer to Go. I requested transfer last November and went live with Octopus in December. I guess installation depends on location.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I initiated a switch from Scottish Power to Octopus on 27 June. At the time I clicked the button to register my interest in a smart meter.

Switch of providers was completed on 14 July.

On 16 July I emailed them and asked for a timescale for smart meter fitted as I had registered my interest and wanted to switch to GO. Chrissie responded from Octopus on 21 July and told me to initiate the process of switching to GO but said that she didn't have any timeframes because it was down to availability of engineers and stock in my area. But I would be prioritised as a smart tariff customer.

So I initiated the process of switching to GO straight away on 21 July and got an email within an hour confirming a date for the install. They get installed next Monday (3 August). So far, so good, assuming it goes ok.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Comments please -- I am switching to PurePlanet and have a slight agro in that despite promises not to need, I do apparently have to take final readings to my old co, and to them, as my meter is a basic Smart1.

HOWEVER their reply to me says that in 2021 all Smart1s will be upgraded to Smart2. Doesn't say if it is a technician visit and replumbing / supply disruption for 20mins, or if it some Over The Air dynamic change.

Anyone else heard this, and therefore if it happens to me can I then move onto Octo Go easily ?

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,800 Posts
Comments please -- I am switching to PurePlanet and have a slight agro in that despite promises not to need, I do apparently have to take final readings to my old co, and to them, as my meter is a basic Smart1.

HOWEVER their reply to me says that in 2021 all Smart1s will be upgraded to Smart2. Doesn't say if it is a technician visit and replumbing / supply disruption for 20mins, or if it some Over The Air dynamic change.

Anyone else heard this, and therefore if it happens to me can I then move onto Octo Go easily ?
Some info here

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Yes, but if you believe that this will happen by the end of 2020 (as DCC claim) then .......

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I bet even the revised deadline will be allowed to slip "because of the pandemic" which is meaningless in this context.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
723 Posts
I registered my interest last year when Octopus bought my account from Engie. I've pestered them about it many times. It took a shirty email at the weekend to get any response other than "soon" from them. I'm booked in for 27th August so hopefully I'll have my PodPoint around then as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I initiated a switch from Scottish Power to Octopus on 27 June. At the time I clicked the button to register my interest in a smart meter.

Switch of providers was completed on 14 July.

On 16 July I emailed them and asked for a timescale for smart meter fitted as I had registered my interest and wanted to switch to GO. Chrissie responded from Octopus on 21 July and told me to initiate the process of switching to GO but said that she didn't have any timeframes because it was down to availability of engineers and stock in my area. But I would be prioritised as a smart tariff customer.

So I initiated the process of switching to GO straight away on 21 July and got an email within an hour confirming a date for the install. They get installed next Monday (3 August). So far, so good, assuming it goes ok.
Further to my post above, mine have just been fitted, no problems - all very smooth.

Only problem is that because I was home working, I didn't notice the guy had gone. He had showed how the little remote display works to my wife, and of course, it went straight in one ear and out the other. So now I have to google it later to find out how it works. Bless her :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you really mean the isolation switch, that comes after the meter, the same technician that changes the meter should also change the switch.
Yep, and I already have a smart meter so whether it's the same person or not is not really that interesting (other than the fact I get the impression they think installing meters is more important, even though installing the switch means I'll be buying more of their electricity)

OTOH, if you mean what used to be called "the board's fuse", then if it's currently considered to be in a dangerous condition then replacing it should be classed as an emergency and response measured in hours rather than months; but if it's not "dangerous" then there's no reason why the meter technician can't just pull it whilst changing meter.
I mean the switch, and it's new not due for replacement.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Had mine installed last week and Octopus GO goes live at midnight tonight!

Reactions: PaulD and phproxy
21 - 35 of 35 Posts