Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering switching to Octopus Go, I am currently on a great deal with “Out Fox the Market” however I have a standard very un-smart meter. Has anyone got recent experience on signing up to Octopus and the subsequent lead-time to get the smart meter installed? As during this lead-time I am going to be paying a load more.

Also I guess I could use someone’s referral code ?. So I get £50 and some lucky person gets £50. A little competition -

So in less than 12 words answer “Goldfish you should use my referral code so I get £50 because...........” ?

However let’s see what the leadtime is on the Installation of a smart meter first! Looking forward to hearing.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It took around 2 months for me recently (over Xmas/NYs). If you do switch make sure you chase them. They are quite responsive on Twitter.
My referral if you want £50 to bridge the higher rate :)
share.octopus.energy/brave-eagle-790

·
Registered
35 Posts
Perhaps advise your area as the delays seem to vary by region. 2 months delay so far on south central area.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have also emailed them with my postcode asking for an approximate lead-time but have heard nothing as yet. If delays are region dependent it will be interesting to see what is being experienced by people.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You get an email to make an appointment then it happens after about 7 days, but keep at them as it seems if you stay quiet you go back in the pecking order, I waited a lot longer than I should because I was too patient
How do you nag them? Daily calls / emails ? Or shaming them on social media? Always interesting to hear best approach.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Octopus is usually good in replying emails. Just give them 2-3 days (as per my experience).
They may not necessarily know leadtimes as it may depend on other company fitting smart meters.

My experience with Smart Meter install was not the best but i can hardly blame Octopus. Lead time was 2 months and then I had 3 appointments where installer simply didn't show up. Forth time lucky. So the switch to GO took about 5 months in total but that was back in summer - hopefully they are better now.

I also have problems with Gas meter reads - doesn't show up on IHD, hardly sends info to Octopus and always wrong. But that's again nothing to do with Octopus but DCC.

But in general Octopus is quite good: green, cheap and good customer support. Rest of the industry lets it down a bit.

·
Super Moderator
11,531 Posts
I've been on the interim tariff since 10 November. Email about Smart Meter delays on the 11th. Do not have an appointment for a Smart Meter install yet. I have not nagged them.

·
Super Moderator
11,531 Posts
hopefully they are better now.
Octopus have their own team of installers now. They probably are better if you live in London, South East England or Oxfordshire.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to phone them, they answered quickly so plus point on that. They claim:

“16 days after going on supply you should receive an email and then it will be a further 4 to 6 weeks”.

So it would seem about around 2 months according to them.

Does this align with peoples current experience? Did you get contacted 16 days after going on supply?

·
Super Moderator
11,531 Posts
Does this align with peoples current experience? Did you get contacted 16 days after going on supply?
I've been on an interim tariff since 10 November. Email about Smart Meter delays on 11 November. Nothing since then.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I switched on 14Jan and in North Oxfordshire. I chased from day one and am doing so every week or two as seen previous threads about delays and 3rd party smart meter installers who Octopus have no real control over.
I'm Switching to Agile from OFTM and as its Agile the email response has stated it will be Octopus own team doing install. As others have said it seems area dependent so just keep chasing and get a couple of referrals so that gives a nice buffer to increased standard costs till switched over and on Go or Agile cheap rates. Email seems easiest way, but others saying use twitter. Try one or both.

·
Super Moderator
11,531 Posts
Here is the email in full:

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your interest in Octopus Go. Our smart meter installers should be in touch to arrange an installation date that suits you.

Our smart tariffs require a smart meter so we have a high number of customers keen to get one. This, and a reliance on 3rd parties, can mean that it can take longer than we'd like for some customers to get their meters installed, as explained by our founder, Greg.

If the installer has not been in contact to arrange your appointment within 14 working days, please email us on [email protected]

Once your smart meter has been installed, the installers send us the new meter details so that we can connect and take the readings. Once we're receiving half-hourly readings from your smart meter, we can complete your switch to Octopus Go. The switch is usually complete within 7 days of your smart meter being installed.

Thanks for your patience, and we hope to have you onboard very soon!
Love and power,
David Martin
Smart Project Manager

1 - 20 of 149 Posts